Iron Man 3 vs. The Dark Knight Rises

10 comments

32 comments

So, alright, a prediction. Squaremaster starts bashing Iron Man 3 and Marvel (and Shane Black, possibly) without having seen the damn movie, Marvel fanboys start gushing and claiming Iron Man 3 will close out the best superhero trilogy in the last 50 billion years before seeing it, me and other people will complain, both sides won't listen, then they copy other people's opinions from IMDb and other random sites, and repeat. In that order. PLACE YOUR BETS.

I have no intention of stating anything about the film until its release, unlike Yellow and his multiple personalities, I'm not going to make any assumptions about the film's quality until I see it. If they (he) follow suit, that will be the end of it.

"I have no intention of stating anything about the film until its release, [...], I'm not going to make any assumptions about the film's quality until I see it". Your blog post about The Amazing Spider-Man and The Avengers proves otherwise.

Funny, I seemed to be stating my opinion on how those two films (and TASM) would perform at the "Box office" based on various data, nowhere did I act like an antagonistic asshole and say "Quality wise, Avengers is going to be another Spider-Man 3, in fact, it will fall far below that".

You basically said that "The Untold Story" was bullshit (which it was), you said that Mark Webb was "talented but untested", you stated that people called the reboot "too soon", you criticized the The Avengers poster and you called The Avengers a "not highly recognizable property". To be fair it's not THAT obvious that you're questioning the quality of those films, but you do make some jokes about them, and it's all praise for TDKR. That blog post can basically be summed up like this: "The Amazing Spider-Man top CBM of the year? Pfff, nope. The Avengers? Nope. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES BABY". I also recall you saying somewhere you "watched" The Avengers online because you didn't want to give Marvel any money. And let's be honest, you just KNOW you will hate Iron Man 3. Just like you hated every single Marvel movie of the past 10, 15 years (except some X-Men movies and *only* the second Spider-Man). Your bottom 20 almost consists solely of Marvel movies. C'mon now. If I ask you right now "how will Iron Man 3 be?" you will respond "just as dumb as the other two". Just like you will answer "How will Interstellar be?" with "Awesome".

Iron Man 3, i gave both 3 1/2 stars but both were underwhelming but TDKR has way more scripting problems and IM3 has Shane Black's quirky moments.

The Dark Knight Rises is easily the better movie. Although it features HEAVY flaws, it certainly beats out the below mediocre experience of Iron Man 3.

Can't wait to see Iron Man 3! I can wait until another lifetime to see the the same insanity that was The Dark Knight vs The Avengers matchup.

Iron Man 3 was horrible,The hype is completely failed the actual movie and major plot holes were shown throughout the film,If it weren't for Downey Jr Iron Man 3 would be sitting in the land of mediocre superhero movies much like Batman Forever.A massive thumbs down from my perspective which gives Dark Knight Rises the victory

They took what worked so well in Iron Man and even Iron Man 2 to a degree and ran with it in an extremely gratifying way with this third installment. The complexity, depth, heart and action were even more off the charts than the first film. I totally agree with most of the film critics who are raving about Iron Man 3. Both these films give the third film in a franchise a good name for a change.

Iron Man 3 is the sort of closing installment I expected The Dark Knight Rises to be. Imperfect, and inevitably a step down from the two stellar entries that preceded it, while still retaining the spirit of the first two. This in spite of there being entirely new people writing and filming it. TDKR, conversely, sticks with the same group from the previous films, and yet you wouldn't know it by how much of an outlier it is. TDKR couldn't even nail the villain. Whoever Nolan went with was bound to pale in comparison to The Joker as portrayed by Heath Ledger, but this was more than that. Ben Kingsley pretending to be Mandarin made for a more compelling villain than Bane. Back to IM3, I'll admit that Tony Stark's anxiety should've been expanded upon a little more; however, it makes more sense, and is more believable in context than Batman retiring out of guilt over the death of a woman who'd made so little an impression in the previous two outings that Nolan could swap actresses and have it barely register, or a grieving Bruce Wayne having impromptu sex with a woman he just met. I could continue on, but feel it best that I stop myself before this gets too out of hand. IM3 takes it in a tremendously lopsided matchup.

Like many, I had high expectations going in to Iron Man 3 and it managed to hit or exceed almost all of them. I simply loved that nothing held to any type of cliche. Nearly every interaction delivered something unexpected and fresh. Choosing to focus on Tony out of the armor is a wonderful decision. RDJ is as brilliant as he’s ever been as Stark. Fans of the books (of which I’m one) may complain about certain character translations but I really have no complaints. Flexibility has always been a Marvel strength over the years and I liked how they flexed and twisted certain ideas here. The thing they get so right from the books is the ingenuity of Tony Stark. He’s so much more than a man in a metal suit. It’s his brain and his wit that are the true weapons. This movie goes out of its way to illustrate that brilliantly. The armored adventure scenes do thrill but are spaced by gritty old fashion action and a movie filled with a lot of heart and humor. Overall, IM3 is a well crafted, funny and refreshing number three film that wraps up the trilogy beautifully. It just did it better than TDKR.

Well, now that it's out... I can easily say that The Dark Knight Rises holds firm as the best 3rd installment of a Superhero trilogy that has been put on film to date. IM3 clearly takes many story elements from TDKR, just as IM1 took from Batman Begins. Rises, however, managed to take these plot threads and give them much more depth and texture, not to mention treating the imposing threat "AS" an imposing threat. To say that Rises handle its villains better would be a monumental understatement, as Bane comes off as threatening and unsettling in the presence of others and is more than a match for the titular character. The Mandarin, OTOH, without giving away spoilers, is not only a massive disappointment (top contender for biggest disappointment of all time) as a villain, but is removed from his source material to an insulting degree (it's not just different, but it completely destroys any amount of credibility and respect that could have been given to the character). Combined with numerous leaps of logic, squeaky clean resolutions to story elements that are not given any amount of care or investment, not to mention a completely nonchalant approach to anything that could make for decent drama, IM3 fails as a resolution for Tony Stark and as a satisfying CBM all around.

See? Told you. You wouldn't like it. You went and saw it anyway. You didn't like it. "Simpsons did it". How surprising.

I just saw Iron Man 3 and I loved it. It was pretty close to being as good as the first one. That being said The Dark Knight Rises is my second favorite film of all time and gets the win. These are both rare examples of a third installment done right.

TDKR is overrated as hell but still a decent flick, and Iron Man 3 is a stellar improvement from the complete shit-fest that was the second film, but not as good as the first. TDKR wins this on the basis of being the more effective emotional experience, even if some of the characters are notably pointless and/or badly written and logic is thrown out the window a few too many times, even by superhero standards (and ESPECIALLY by Christopher Nolan's standards). Iron Man 3 retains what was good about the first film and is certainly the most personal of all the Iron Man films, rather like Skyfall in the modern Bond collection, but it isn't as strong as it could be. I guess it's very difficult to be reflective, emotional and sombre when you're being held back by the typical cheesiness which we've come to expect from the MCU (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, especially not with Iron Man films).

Both good movies and both involve less of the hero and more of the person which I really liked. Iron Man 3 took me back to when I was younger but, unfortunately, I found some elements poorly explained. Dark Knight Rises was very gritty and mature which I really liked and I felt a lot more involved with the characters by the end of the film than I did with Iron Man 3. DC wins this one

I liked iron man 3 a lot but I loved the dark knight rises.

Truth is, the whole Batman trinity wins here. It actually surprises me a lot to say it,'cause i'm a die hard Marvel fan.

Iron Man wins and wins big. The entire trilogy is far better than any we've seen before in the genre by quite a bit if you're being honest.

The entire plot of IM3 completely collapses in on itself after Tony gives away his address on live TV. From there it's one idiotic decision after another and massive plot hole after massive plot hole. Each installment of Nolan's trilogy pretty much win by default over this film.

Jesus, Squaremaster, just, go...I dunno...ride a bike or something. Who the fuck cares. Why do I care.

I liked Iron Man 3, it was very enjoyable, the action was great and the comedy worked for the most part. I wasn't the biggest fan of the villain though, disappointed me a little in all honesty. I am looking forward to watching it again though, some stuff will improve on a second viewing I hope. For now though, it's TDKR very easily.

So what if he doesn't like marvel movies? I enjoyed The Avengers,The Amazing Spiderman, and Iron Man 3. But I think all his criticisms were legit. Seriously why do you care?

I don't have a problem with him disliking Marvel movies. First of all: look at his bottom 20, and you'll only find Marvel movies. They're not THAT bad, at least not all of them. And then look at his top 10: ALL Christopher Nolan movies (except Doodlebug, strangely enough...and he calls himself a fan, PFF). But that's not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is how he talks about them. Whenever a Marvel fan says something good about a Marvel movie or something bad about a Christopher Nolan movie or both, he HAS to "respond". Although that "responding" is the equivalent of him talking to a wall. He repeats himself over and over about how great it is, how it must be great because "the majority of moviegoers and critics" thinks it's great, without talking about the flaws some other people brought up. Look at The Avengers vs. The Dark Knight matchup, and look how he (and admittedly some of the Marvel fanboys) "respond" to each other. Then look at how I, Onefucktoomany / Cleckley and PiccoloKing talk to each other about the same movies. We actually talk about stuff. All they say is that one is the greatest thing ever made and the other is terrible, and when they DO talk about stuff, it's copied off IMDb or a critic's site. It's childish, and it's completely indirect. Squaremaster hates Marvel so much that in fact he believes that some Marvel fans on this site have multiple accounts on IMDb simply to say good things about the movies on the message boards and to improve their scores. Why do I care? I dunno. Maybe because it's all so damn stupid that I can't look away.

Interesting. While I do think Iron Man 3 is a amazing film, there were moments in The Dark Knight Rises that made me cry. If I compare the main leads, supporting cast, villains, imagery, composition, and story, I would personally give all of them to The Dark Knight Rises. Iron Man 3 I notice was taking a similar route to the latter, I just felt that other did that, and even more. The Dark Knight Rises for me.

Lol, I love how people try to ignore the elephants in the room here. Fanboys will be fanboys, but in the end they're like frogs in a cardboard box. Leave them alone, and despite their ribbits, one will devour the other and the final one left will eventually starve to death. Unless they repopulate! Jesus, could you imagine a fanboy on both sides?! He would actually respect the opinions of others! Jesus, what a horrible world that would be.

While Shane Black proved that he can make a worthy superhero film, TDKR is the superior third installment.

Iron Man 3 is the best of the series. The Dark Knight Rises is one of the worst sequels ever.

The Dark Knight Rises obviously

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES managed to crush the CBM trilogy curse into the dirt and gave the genre its 'universally regarded' best trilogy to date. Iron Man 3 not only managed to be yet another disappointment for third installments, but given how terrible Iron Man 2 was, it never even got the opportunity to avoid the curse even if it had been competent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0Dtm1gFFQ&t=0m04s

I hate Iron Man 3 so much with a passion. Mostly because it seems like the filmmakers intentionally tried to make that film crap! Now, lets talk about The Dark Knight Rises, this film was one of the greatest masterpieces to ever grace the big screen, Rises had everything a Batfan could want! Screw Iron Man 3! The Dark Knight Rises STOMPS!!!

The Dark Knight Rises over Iron Man 3

Yeah, no way Rises wins. Such a disappointed film. And Iron Man 3 is better, much better, after the second viewing

The Dark Knight Rises, I enjoyed it much more.

Iron Man 3 bored me to tears. The Dark Knight Rises, despite all its flaws, was exciting from start to finish.

Same league of intolerable mediocrity.

I'm with Mystic 100% on this SquareMaster crap. I take none of his comments seriously do his top 10 being all Nolan movies. Even Nolan's "short" made it past greats like Godfather and Departed for example. He is bias to a tee and his points mean noting to me. He pick Insomnia over every other movie not made my Nolan just because. And yes I may be bias to some of my favorite movies but I have a variety of different movies in my top 20. I'm not even bashing Nolan, He is great but SquareMasters top 10 tells me that non of his comments mean anything. Anywho this was a funny page to read. After all this I'm picking Batman lol

The dark knight rises

oh cmon TDKR easily wins that one

The Dark Knight Rises is so much better than Iron Man 3

dark knight rises is too perfect, iron man movies can never reach that level

IM3 doesn’t stand a chance against any Burton or Nolan Batman movie.

iron man 3 is great, dark knight rises is the best masterpiece ever

The Dark Knight Rises is one of my favourite films. An absolutely amazing and epic film through and through. Iron Man 3 is decent at best

Iron man 3 is not bad but it's the worst of the trilogy, dark knight rises is much more enjoyable

TDKR easily wins, a mismatch for me IMO