Pulp Fiction vs. The Shawshank Redemption

44 comments

61 comments

How the hell can I choose between these two? It's like Sophie's Choice for chrissakes!

Damn

Impossible Choice!

how can i pick between these?

This choice hurts... but I have to pick Shawshank. Just such an amazing narrative, and a masterfully paced story.

It's clearly Shawshank.

Pulp Fiction.I still love you Shawshank.

The Shawshank Redemption isn't a good movie. The pseudo-philosophical narration annoys me to no end. Yeah, I get it. Prison sucks. Pulp Fiction is so dynamic and full of cinematic joie de vivre that The Shawshank Redemption's dour self-importance can't possibly compete. I have no idea why so many people worship The Shawshank Redemption. There is nothing special about it.

Wow! Two REAL best movie of all-time contenders. For me, Shawshank is the better all around film but every film fan should own a copy of each of these jems.

Shawshank gets it for me.

JRM
JRM

Two all time favs! Shawshank gets my vote.

Pulp Fiction wins for me. Shawshank was better than what I expected it to be, but great and all can't beat Pulp Fiction. It's just awesome.

Pulp Fiction for me.

JRM
JRM

Went back to Pulp Fiction. Shawshank has dropped a bit.

I don't love Shawshank, but I do really like and highly admire it. Pulp Fiction didn't do anything for me. I've often wondered if I would change my mind if I saw it again, but my more recent reactions to other Tarantino films haven't given me a desire to go back and find out.

Goddamn it.

Two films that were inexplicably beaten by Forrest Gump for Best Picture of 1994. The nihilism of Pulp Fiction gets to be off-putting after awhile, whereas The Shawshank Redemption is consistently excellent throughout. Shawshank for the easy win.

Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction is like Aliens vs Starship Troopers. No contest at all. I don't believe Pulp Fiction is as good as people think.

Wow, this is ridiculous. I honestly cannot choose, I'll have to watch Pulp Fiction again to see how it holds up.

Shawshank crushes here. Andy, Red, and Brooks are unstoppable...

Nah I wouldn't say Shawshank crushes. They're about equal in my eyes. They both have great acting, awesome stories, and excellent writing. Well I LOVE the ending of Shawshank, but I also love Pulp Fiction's powerful ending as well, and I find the story more exciting, and the screenplay more wonderful. I would say the better film is Pulp, but my favorite is still undecided.

These two and It's a Wonderful Life are my three favorite movies of all time. It's just so hard to pick... The path of the righteous man... is through the poster on the wall... Shawshank by a nose. It's a photo finish

pulp fiction was far more genius than shawshank so no trouble picking one for me

Pulp Fiction is by far supirior to Shawshanks. Pulp Fiction wins here.

No doubt about this topic, Shaw Shank is the absolut winner

Seb
Seb

Although pulp is great, shawshank is one of those movies that you experience once in a lifetime. For such a simple film to be so affecting and to reach the hearts of so many moviegoers; one has to realize that it is an untouchable in 99% of flick chart match ups. Shawshank is the answer to this matchup.

The shawshank redemption.

Pulp Fiction is entertaining but it didnt crack my top 10. Shawshank on the other hand did.

Shawshank is just something special.

Two mesmerizing films. Pulp Fiction is my number 1 though and so I'm going with that. Shawshank is still amazing though.

Pulp Fiction just wins it. This is one of the hardest matchup's iv ever done in my life.

It's easily Pulp Fiction. You can't top Tarantino's best film.

Pulp Fiction by a Gimp!!

Shawshank for me.

One of the toughest decisions on this site, Pulp Fiction was a revolution in film making and is a better film in certain areas but overall is still not the masterpiece that is The Shawshank Redemption.

Pulp Fiction hands down.

I wasn't too impressed with Pulp Fiction. Shawshank it is.

Pulp fiction wins this. Shawshank is great, but overrated.

The two ultimate kings of 1994. Tough but Pulp Fiction!

Pulp Fiction by quite a long shot. Not to say that I don't like Shawshank but Pulp Fiction is miles above it for me.

Pulp Fiction for the win ! Shawshank is overrated.

I'm going with Shawshank, but it's close

This is terribly close.

So close. I mean, SO close. I choose Shawshank.

Welcome to Shawshank.

The kings of 1994 but Pulp Fiction takes the cake and the royale with cheese!

Pulp Fiction is my favorite 90's film!

shawshank redemption

Shawshank for the win. Such an incredible movie from start to finish. One of a very few movies that can be called "flawless".

Both are great but one is truly amazing... and the winner is PULP FICTION!!!!!

PF is no doubt a great movie, maybe the better one but TSR appeals to me a lot more

Both very different movies that both came out the same year and both failed to get Best Picture at the Oscars (which went to Forrest Gump, so I'm not complaining) and both are now regarded as two of the best films of all time. The Shawshank Redemption was a spectacular film with amazing acting, music, cinematography (I mean WOW), script and a loveable story. It is one of my favourite films and is up-there for most people. Pulp Fiction created its own genre but doesn't have that much that stands out apart from the acting from the all-star cast and Tarantino's script. Pulp Fiction seemed a bit pointless at times whereas Shawshank was very moving. Shawshank wins here

Shawshank hould up marvelously after repeated viewings. Pulp Fiction got boring the second time I saw it.

Pulp Fiction for entertainment value.

After viewing Shawshank a second time I take back what I said about it being overrated, but Pulp Fiction still wins.

And the winner for Best Picture of 1994 goes to Forre... I mean Pulp Fiction!

The Shawshank Redemption. Although Pulp is fucking amazing and Tarantino's best, Shawshank is my favorite film of all time on this site and in real life. Both are top 5 for me

Actually, having rewatched both of them, I switch their places. Pulp Fiction was mind-blowing and Shawshank was boring and very long.

lud
lud

These two are probably two greatest movies of all time to this day. SHAWSHANK WINS.

Pulp Fiction slightly wins as the best film released on 14th October 1994.

Shawshank is technically better but Pulp Fiction I like better so... Shawshank

Actually a pretty hard ranking, Pulp Fiction is definitely Tarantino's best but A Shawshank Redemption was such an legendary movie that, in my opinion, will stand the test of time. Pulp Fiction was just a highly entertaining movie. Shawshank wins.

WHYYY?!! These two are my favorite movies of the 90's... but The Shawshank Redemption if my favorite of all-time! Both are masterpieces though - flat out.

Shawshank tells a great story in a very effective and passionate manner, while Pulp Fiction is a rather formalist movie, perfectly crafted, but not very close to the heart and certainly not as inspiring as Shawshank. Objectively speaking, I think Pulp Fiction is the better movie, but Red and Andy won me over. I have to pick The Shawshank Redemption.

1994 movies I choose Shawshank

The French would say Le Pulp

Wow, this is definitely a tough one. They're both so different and great, how do I compare the two?? I'll give the slight edge to Shawshank for being such an emotionally investing and rewarding film. Whereas Pulp Fiction is great entertainment. "I'ma get medieval on yo ass." Just about no other film can top Pulp Fiction's quirky and memorable, hilarious dialogue. Shawshank barely comes out on top for being a more story focused and passionate film.

1994 was a brilliant year for movies. I think Pulp Fiction is QTs best and has more interesting characters and creative story lines, which would altogether make for more exciting trip to the cinema in '94

I sick of fanboys parading about thinking they know shit about movies because they loved Shawshank Redemption. Shawshank Redemption is quite possibly the most overrated movie of the century. Pulp Fiction set the standard for non-linear storytelling. It raised the bar and attained artistic integration to a level that Shawshank couldn't dream of reaching. Pulp Fiction destroys Shawshank and then goes further.

Shawshank had a bygger impact on me

Shawshank is better story, better than that overrated PF..

Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction is a better film. No doubt.

Shawshank remtemption

Shawshank is better, I Hate Pulp Fiction

Shawshank is perfect but it loses this one to Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction.

shawshank has the edge

Morgan Freeman, you will know my name is the Lord. When I lay my vengeance upon thee.

PULP BY A HAIR

Wow, 1994 brought us two gems. Shawshank takes it for me.

I like pulp fiction but I love shawshank redemption

As much as I love Pulp Fiction I love Shawshank's atmospherre, and that really does it for me.

Hard choice but... Pulp Fiction. Side Note: HOW THE HELL DID THESE LOSE TO FORREST GUMP. DID THEY TIE SO THEY GAVE IT TO SECOND PLACE?

both of them is awesome,but i prefer Shawshank

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger

Both truly great films, but I can always watch Pulp Fiction. Shawshank you have to be in the right frame of mind to watch.

lud
lud

Surprised with results, PF is easily better movie of two.

shawshank for me.

Hard to choose, but I'm going to go with Shawshank. It's a great movie better than Pulp Fiction.

Shawshank is supior here...

ear
ear

I'm on the Pulp Fiction train and I will defend it at every turn.

Pulp Fiction isn't a masterpiece, but stills so cool!! And Shawshank Redemption won for the moment...!

Shawshank takes it.

Love both but Shawshank takes the clear edge here..

Love both but Shawshank takes the clear edge here.

The Shawshank Redemption edges here and anywhere.

Shawshank.

Shawshank remains the ultimate true classic over 1994 source.

The Shawshank Redemption for sure.

Pulp Fiction has Uma Thurman, so it automatically wins lol. No but seriously Pulp Fiction. I just like it more.

Very tough but my favourite movie of all time beats my #5 favourite movie of all time. Pulp fiction it is

Pretty tough; these are easily the best of 1994 and masterpieces that are wayyyyyy better than Forrest Gump (which somehow won the Oscars over them), but I have to go with Shawshank.

Shawshank bc of the ending

I think Pulp Fiction has better individual moments like the apartment scene, milkshake scene, Mia overdosing, Vincent getting shot, etc but Shawshank as a whole is a better experience.

Ok I cried in Shawshank but Pulp Fiction was life changing

Pulp Fiction is a classic of course, but it doesn't really move me emotionally - Shawshank does.

Pulp Fiction is a more bold and out there film. It clearly could have went wrong in so many ways, yet it didn't. In terms of the story, as much as I love Shawshank, Pulp will probably resonate for me more just cause of how weird it is (in a good way). Shawshank's story has everything going for it, but Pulp is definitely the one that was more revolutionary in my eyes. Unfortunately, as much as I love Pulp, it is by no means nearly as flawless as Shawshank is, especially on a technical level. Lighting is one thing that Pulp struggles in from what I've seen. I think just because of that, I'll have to give it to Shawshank

Changed my mind on this one. I'll give this to Shawshank

I was going to say Pulp, but no Shawshank wins

Shawshank was more emotional in my opinion

This is can go either way but Pulp fiction wins for now

Sheesh these to iconic movies stacked against each other is like choosing between two of your children. I’m gonna go with Shawshank for the winner. But boy does it feel like a betrayal to one of my favorite movies.

It goes to Pulp Fiction for me because it stays a bit more fresh after multiple rewatches.

Pulp Fiction is the stronger, smarter, and more unique movie. Shawshank I also love for the themes and acting, but it ain't got nothing on Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction is FAR more enjoyable to WATCH. So many awesome scenes. SSR is a more powerful film and has more meaning. Usually I go with that. In this case I go with the Dark humor and gangster film Slight Slight Edge for PF as the fun factor is too much. Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction is FAR more enjoyable to WATCH. So many awesome scenes. SSR is a more powerful film and has more meaning. Usually I go with that. In this case I go with the Dark humor and gangster film Slight Slight Edge for PF as the fun factor is too much. Pulp Fiction