Star Wars: The Force Awakens vs. Return of the Jedi

18 comments

19 comments

I think this will probably be the best match up of the saga films. Force Awakens is definitely a solid film and has a bunch of phenomenal new characters. Star Wars>Empire>Jedi>Force Awakens>Sith>Phantom Menace>Clones

The Force Awakens by miles.

Rac
Rac

The Force Awakens was as good as Jedi.

The Force Awakens was epic; Jedi was weak.

I fully believe that Episode VII is the better movie here, in almost every way. It's also more entertaining. It gets the win.

For all the problems of Return of the Jedi, I still enjoy it more. TFA is a good film but it's not at the level of the original trilogy in my opinion; there's nothing I can really point to and call "the defining moment" beyond a pair of twists which I won't spoil on here. I enjoyed it, but I didn't fall in love with it as I was hoping to. Maybe with repeat viewings and with the benefit of some (hopefully) well-managed sequels it will improve with time, but for now, Jedi wins.

The Force Awakens is far better than Jedi.

Jedi by a mile. The new film was good but not great and was almost completely recycled.

Both are great movies but The Force Awakens is superior Return of the Jedi has a awesome ending but looking back it did have a lot of rehash and filler, TFA wins

I've never been one of the people that loves Jedi. Outside of the Luke/Vader stuff, I don't think it has that much going for it. Still easily better than any of the prequels, but it's just "alright." TFA didn't strike me as anything revolutionary, but it's comfortably solid.

The Force Awakens was great and all, but it still can't touch the original trilogy, especially Jedi which is my favorite.

Before I went to see TFA, I saw all the movies from the OT, and by far Jedi is the one with the most flaws, even though the Vader vs Luke is awsome there is to much that pulls it down. And having seen TFA, I can't say that it is perfect, but I can say that it is a Great movie, maybe not at the level of Episode IV and V, but anyway a great movie with few flaws, that make it jump to the third best Star Wars movie. So, if it wasn't clear, TFA wins

Jedi has some awesome moments, but, yeah, the lead actors looks kind of bored and / or tired. And The Force Awakens isn't the Star Wars movie with Ewoks in it, so it wins by default (okay, I'm not THAT cynical about the Ewoks, though I do genuinely think that TFA is a much better movie than Jedi).

I think for some people, it is ingrained that no new star wars film will be better than the originals...Especially Return of the Jedi. I had high expectations for this new film and it surpassed them by a mile! The new bad guy makes Vader look weak and is much more intimidating. Many Star Wars Junkie purists I know are baffled at how good the new film is and even said it is right there with the originals and is maybe even better. I'm going with The Force Awakens because it the better film. There where so many tear jerking moments, breathtaking action, and really took something that is classic and made it better! Wow!

The Force Awakens did a wonderful job of paying homage to its predecessors, while also pushing forward a story worth investing in. I loved it, but Return of the Jedi is still automatically ahead based on nostalgia. It's a fucking cool movie, that is all.

TFA is my second favorite Star Wars film first being Empire third is the original. Jedi I found a little bit boring at times. The Ewoks were annoying. Finn and Rey are two great characters and instantly became like able. The Force Awakens gets my vote.

I found Return of the Jedi somewhat weak the last time I saw it. The Force Awakens wins without a second thought.

ROTJ.... I found that Disney destroying the Star Wars Canon to make up their story, and bringing in J.J. Abrams (Who almost always kills one of his characters), ended up making the film seem like it was a remake of A New Hope pretending to be a sequel set in a future timeline for a new generation. Everything Disney buys gets pushed on the screen as many times as possible (i.e. Marvel reboots). Many scenes are almost identical to A New Hope, with new characters. The actors in TFA do a great job, but it's nothing compared to any of the Original Trilogy. I'm one of the many who would have liked the film to be based on Heir to the Empire actually.

FORCE AWAKENS. But not by much.

I enjoyed TFA more than Jedi. I can confidently say TFA stands alone as the third best in the series by my personal rankings. I know it seems blasphemous to say the new movie is better than one of the originals, but that is the case here.

FORCE AWAKENS....comfortably. RoTJ is good, but is suffers at times from pacing, lack of story (the stuff on Endor, 2nd Death Star, opening rescue is quite long) and Han is delegated to the background, which is a crime after his focus during ESB. Force Awakens does have a third Death Star (*sigh) but it features exciting, charismatic new characters in a story worth pursuing, whilst also returning our favourite characters from the past with a purpose. Force Awakens is more than just a homage to the OT; it is for the most part, great filmmaking.

While a lot of people find it flawed "Return of the Jedi" is my all time favorite "Star Wars" film. As much as I love "The Force Awakens", "Return of the Jedi" is memorable scene after memorable scene.

Loved Rey and Finn, and seeing Han and Chewie still together, doing their thing, but RETURN OF THE JEDI was more satisfying overall. That duel at the end still gets me!

Return of the Jedi

Both are amazing, but I think I liked The Force Awakens a little bit more.

Both of these utterly disappoint when they re-use plot elements from the original (especially the Death Star "only bigger and better" thing), but they are otherwise rather good films. I think I'm giving the edge to Jedi over Awakens simply because it has the epic three-pronged confrontation with the Emperor, Luke and Vader.

Force awakens was better

The Force Awakens, easy.

Both Star Wars epic films are tough, but The Force Awakens wins it easily.

Both Star Wars epic films are tough, but The Force Awakens wins itself easily.

Jedi sucks. The B-Story is complete filler. It also kind of pisses me off that they re-used the Death Star plot device in both of these. The Force Awakens may be a complete remake of the original, but at least the other characters have something to do aside from fighting teddy bears.

Jedi had more of a epic feel, plus the Jaba palace scene and the ending with the Emperor was great! as well a Slave 'Leia not much beats that!

Watch both yesterday and still love both. Return Of The Jedi is intense, does great things with the characters and works as a satisfying conclusion and as a film itself. Force Awakens has complex characters, a great production and pushes the story forward whilist still having a lot of emotion and paying homage to its predecessors. Who wins? Well, both have their flaws. Jedi has Ewoks and the second Death Star and Force Awakens has Starkiller Base. Is The Force Awakens too similar? No, it has a lot of originality and ambitiously and it’s similarities aren’t even that apparent nor do they overshadow what’s great about the film! Force for me!

Happy Star Wars week! Old school beats new stuff in every way.

The Force Awakens has better acting, fewer dumb scenes, less plot holes, no ewoks, a way more interesting first act and better action. Return of the Jedi has better characters and a better space battle. TFA is the more enjoyable movie imo

Force Awakens >

Definitely RotJ....

ROTJ. TFA hasn’t aged well.

ESB > ANH >> ROTJ > ROTS > TFA > AOTC > TPM > TLJ > TROS

Are you kidding me? Return of the Jedi by a massive landslide!!!!

The original trilogy Fucking crushes the shitty sequel trilogy

The original trilogy Fucking crushes the shitty sequel trilogy

Return of the Jedi wins, but The Force Awakens is the best after the OT

Return of the Jedi was truly the perfect conclusion to the Star Wars saga. But the problem was that Disney ruined Star Wars