The Shawshank Redemption vs. The Godfather

48 comments

52 comments

I spent 10 minutes debating this one. I now feel like a total dork for that.

can't really go wrong with either one, but the Godfather is the gold standard.

Uhhhhhhh.......

this is quite possibly the hardest decision i could make, in my opinion these are #1 and 2 of all time

hardest decision ive made. these are two of the top three of all time for me..........but Shawshank cant be beaten, not even by the Don

JRM
JRM

Both undoubtedly great films, but I think Shawshank is one of those movies that you could watch with anyone at any time as many times as possible, and still get swept away by its story.

Shawshank

Godfather is overrated for me, and Shawshank was and still is one of the film I still remember almost perfectly throughout. Shawshank for the win.

Not a difficult decision. It has to be The Godfather. You just can't beat the fluidity and nuance of the story and characters.

Both are epic...the result would just depend on the viewer. I'll go with Shawshank.

Seb
Seb

Shawshank!

The greatest film of all time VS. one of the greatest films of all time. The Shawshank Redemption wins.

Godfather in a landslide. shawshank doesnt come close

I love the first Godfather,but Shawshank had a bigger impact on me.

Seb
Seb

shawshank, its just something else

Ughhhh this is hard! As of now, I have to go with Shawshank, but that could ultimately change. For me, Shawshank is just more moving.

Gotta go with The Godfather.

Once again I must say The Godfather

Godfather.

Hahaha, not easy.

Impossible choice. Both are perfect movies in my opinion.

Hahahahahaha, please, too tough.

The Godfather.

The Godfather, always The Godfather. Not many come close.

Probably the toughest match up besides Godfather vs. Godfather 2. But I would have to go with the Godfather, it has everything in film and is nearly perfect, and it's characters and story are better than Shawshank. But The Shawshank Redemption is perfect in every way, and in my opinion right behind the Godfather's. Tough choice, but for me The Godfather's a 9.8/10, Shawshank's a 9.7/10.

this is the easiest one: Shawshank

Shawshank is a feel-good movie. The Godfather is romantic and overall a more complex film. The Godfather has great production value with memorable characters and stunning cinematography. TSR is certainly good but The Godfather just holds up better with repeat viewings. Few films are as satisfying an experience as The Godfather. It's a perfect 10 in my book.

Shawshank. It's my favorite movie. I can't believe how poorly it did at the box office.

Im gonna go Shawshank because i just saw it for the first time. I havent seen The Godfather in a couple years.

Shawshank Redemption BY A MILE! Godfather was terrible

both are great...both shows the good sides of bad people(in godfather to some extent)...but SHAWSHANK has the edge over by its message...NEVER LOOSE HOPE..although am a big Godfather fan

I like Shawshank a lot. I am not a big Godfather fan. I'm not saying Godfather is bad, it just isn't for me. Shawshank was right up my ally, though.

shawshank

The Godfather

The Shawshank Redemption has always swept me away. The Godfather gets better the more I watch and think about it, but it doesn't beat Shawshank.

I'm gonna be the tie breaker and go with The Godfather. Technically is a better film than Shawshank anyways.

I go with Shawshank. My all time favorite.

Two of my favorites but the first Godfather just owns!

The Godfather is the right answer. It's the best film of all time.

While being overrated, Godfather is still excellent. But Shawshank, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!

The Godfather is all the way, better for me. If I were to choose which of the two to watch now and I saw the Godfather yesterday, I'd still choose the Godfather. Shawshank Redemption is fantastic but somewhat, a tad overrated. Still amazing but it just isn't the Godfather

the godfather is wayyy better although shawshank is indeed a great movie. but the godfather is perfect and unbeatable.

The Godfather is a cinematic masterpiece that is executed perfectly in all areas. Therefore, it should win. But The Shawshank Redemption pushes things a little further; no, it isn't perfect but the things that it really puts effort into are breath-taking. It has brilliant acting, haunting music, a lovely script and some of the best cinematography I have ever seen. These add up to make some of the best scenes in cinema. Some people connect with the Godfather but, to be honest, I didn't much. Shawshank is a story that almost everybody feels for and, for that reason, it is the better film.

I rewatched Shawshank & loved it like before. But i really felt that narration was overdone in some scenes. I mean Freeman did a terrific job as narrator, but some beautiful moments like 'suds on rooftop' & the classical music scene would have been a lot better without the voice-overs. It has a sort of spoonfeeding feel. While the music was apt, i'm sure not many people would remember it if they heard it someplace else. As for the cinematography, it is really great although not revolutionary. The performances were amazing but did have some issues with Gunton's act. He seemed comical in a few scenes. But it is the amazing story that blows me away every time. The ending scenes are sooo satisfying. It is really great that this masterpiece overlooked upon its release is getting the love it deserves. But with all that being said, Godfather is still invincible in every ways & it just keeps getting better & better with every viewing.

The Godfather...... for sure.

The two films which are probably considered the two best of all time the most. I’m going with The Godfather.

DAMN! I have to choose Shawshank, however Godfather may be the better film. I just love Shawshank too much here to not pick it!

lud
lud

Shawshank for sure.

I agree with anyone that says either of these films is the greatest film ever made. Personally, there has never been a film greater than Shawshank. It's the ultimate story of hope. The Godfather is a film that is almost perfect. Not a single frame is in the film that isn't critical to the story, and it is some of the best direction I have ever seen. There isn't a wrong answer to this comparison.

These two are possibly two of the greatest novel(la) to film adaptations that exist. They're flawless, or at least as close to flawless as a film can be. "Shawshank" is the greater emotional experience so it feels more...human, for lack of a better word. It's very close but "Shawshank" is my pick.

FUQ DIS

Godfather has the edge

yeah, shawshank by far for me

Shawshank is too good to beat, both are top 10 though

So great to see you think so highly of two of my all-time favorite. I have them 1 and 3 or in other words, I don't disagree if someone has either as their all-time #1

I was disappointed when The Shawshank Redemption edged out The Godfather for #1 spot on IMDB. With all due respect to Shawshank, come on! Shawshank is marvellous but The Godfather is beyond greatness. Godfather for me.

Rewatched godfather after a long time. Never have I been so wrong about this movie. It's in my top 3 man! But I could go on and on why they are amazing and why i'd prefer the one over the other, but not now (maybe some other time), all I want to say is shawshank is my pick and that these two movies are, first of all a must watch, but also THE movies. Two masterpieces both of them.

sorry, meant godfather is my pick....

The Godfather easy

Damn, 28-28! I'll break the tie though! Both teams are ranked in my top 5! The Godfather is #5 in my all-time list... and The Shawshank Redemption is #1... :D

I am saddened by how many votes Shawshank has over "The Godfather". Like choosing "Shakespeare in Love" above "Saving Private Ryan". :,(

The Godfather is much better.

Shawshank for the win

I choose the godfather the godfather is the best movie of all time the shawshank is all about two man in prison the godfather for ever

Godfather is more legendary and even the greater achievement, but Shawshank is such a feel good story told in such a great way that I'm voting for it. Much respect to TGF though.

People here who are voting for Shawshank are completely nuts. Shawshank is the perfect example of a film that can fool you into thinking it's great. It's sappy, condescending and manipulative. Shawshank is an average film at best. The Godfather on the other hand is subtle, beautiful and poetic. A absolute masterpiece.

I can't help but laugh at the people who are calling The Godfather overrated when Shawshank Redemption is quite possibly the most overrated movie of the century. It's merely good.

The Godfather is great but I'm going with Shawshank without hesitation. I never get tired of that one whereas I have to be in the right mood to sit down and watch The Godfather.

Shawshank is better story

I think that The Shawshank Redemption is more entertaining. The Godfather is still miles better though.

Shawshank redemption is better

Well, I'm going with Shawshank. Two of the all time greats.

One of the toughest choices...both movies are easily in my Top 5 of all time. Have to go with the Godfather.

No good thing ever dies.Shawshank redemption gets the close win here

The Godfather off course

Gonna have to go with Shawshank

lud
lud

Shawshank

i fell The Godfather is a superior film, compared with the shawshank redemption.

Both are the greatest classic films of the 70s and 90s but Shawshank is far better..

Both are the greatest classic films of the 70s and 90s but Shawshank is far better..

The godfather Best movie against friendship???? but Shawshank fools loves friendship ????

Shawshank is the better film.

Shawshank for the win

I do not love the shawshank redemption as much as most people but it is certainly better than the godfather.

I think shawshank is better than godfather

im getting off this site

Really hard The Godfather

Vito Corleone makes Andy Dufresne an offer he cannot refuse...

Vitos Cat > Borook's bird

Ajá d Z

The

Vito Corleone

The Shawshank Redemption is way better. It has a better story, better music and much better acting. The Godfather is too slowly and boring.

The Shawshank Redemption has the current best term of classic.

Not even close. The Shawshank Redemption is much better and much more intelligent. In the godfather, every solution to every problem is always shooting someone with a gun. Also The Godfather lacks relatable characters in my opinion.

Guns? In a movie about gangsters and criminals? No, that can't be right. They're supposed to use spoons. Silly FFC/Puzo.

I very much like the film TSR. It have one of the best positive endings in whole history of cinema. Even though TGf, is a very influential movie with one of the best Direction, script, production design, memorable dialogues and great performances, it didn't felt nice to my heart. I'm not a guy who likes that kinds of stories. So I'm going with THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION which teaches a lot of lessons.

It is and always will be SHAWSHANK for me when it comes to Godfather. The master of Dons got a great direction, amazing script, production design and acting performances, but the film that made me really happy and feel redeemed after the ending is the SHAWSHANK.

It is and always will be SHAWSHANK for me when it comes to Godfather. The master of Dons got a great direction, amazing script, production design and acting performances, but the film that made me really happy and feel redeemed after the ending is the SHAWSHANK.

The Shawshank Redemption is far better here, overall The Godfather is best as well.

The Shawshank Redemption is better than The Godfather, in my opinion. The Shawshank Redemption gets my vote.

the godfather is slow and his characters are not fully developed, while Shawshank's redemption is complete in every way and his conversations are far superior to the godfather

I've got to go with Shawshank on this one, it's such a brilliant film in pretty much every way. The Godfather is still a very good film, but it just doesn't hit all the right notes for me.

Shawshank is good, but not Godfather level good. The Corleones get the win here.

Shawshank wins, godfather is overrated

From a technical standpoint, The Godfather is a better film. However, Shawshank Redemption is WAY more entertaining and enjoyable. Almost anyone can watch and enjoy Shawshank casuals and critics alike, Godfather is more of a an acquired taste. Not to mention, Shawshank has infinite rewatch value.

Godfather is the most overrated movie ever. Whenever the question is asked, people jump to defend it. However, none of them ever answer the criticisms leveled at the movie. All they do is call names and insult the people who don’t like it because they have a different point of view. People are told the Godfather is the greatest film of all time, so they are socially programmed to agree with it. In reality Godfather is a boring shitty movie. Shawshank Redemption is far better.

lol at godfather being boring and shitty

ear
ear

The Godfather was an easy choice.

The shawshank redemption is far better overall godfather is beyond perfect as it is

The Godfather still remains the best and the most iconic movie of all time and just give me reason how The Godfather is mot better than TSR in every single fucking way. The Godfather for the win.

The Godfather is the winner here. Cmon

The Godfather does take this pretty easily. I always felt that people hyped Shawshank more than it actually deserves because of the emotional weight and inspiring tone it has. On a technical level, The Godfather outclasses Shawshank so badly that it isn't even fair. I think as for story, I think the fact that the story of The Godfather is essentially there to unravel the ideal of the American dream as the illusion it always was. So, just out of how intricately and masterfully the story is constructed and its message and symbolism is executed, I have to put it above Shawshank

Upon rewatch, I think the differences aren't as big as stated before, but they're still there. But I'll try breaking it down better. In terms of technical mastery, The Godfather is among the best ever. The Shawshank Redemption is great, but it doesn't live up something like The Godfather. Cinematography, framing, blocking and staging, composition, soundtrack, etc. are all at their absolute finest with The Godfather. In terms of the story, I'll also have to go with The Godfather. The cast in The Godfather is far better with Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Marlin Brando, John Cazale, etc. whereas the only great performances came from Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins (albeit the rest of the cast is still good too). The story has a greater sense of scope, is more complex, thematically rich, and emotionally intelligent. It's a highly emotional film, like Shawshank, that doesn't rely too much on an overuse of sobbing or whatever. They just do it in slightly different ways. The Godfather does it through characters, Shawshank does it with story structure. Neither is inherintly better than the other, but the reason why people think Shawshank is the more emotional movie is because the film is uplifting, and therefore has to balance positive and negative emotion. The Godfather, on the other hand, is more akin to a Greek tragedy. It just goes down further and further. First with the assassination attempt of Vito, Michael having to essentially break up with Kay and force himself into the family, leave his home to Italy, lose the wife who he loved, lose his father as well, and becomes the opposite of the man he was originally set up to be. I feel that The Godfather is just the deeper and smarter film, however. It perfectly manages to use classic themes of family, betrayal, and evil, but also other themes such as responsibility and fate, while also making a layered and complex commentary of America and the hypocrisy behind it.

Shawshank for now, but I am rewatching the godfather right now so if the arrow points to the godfather you know what happened

The godfather is better than shawshank Redemption but both are good

Shawshank redemption is far natural better

The Shawshank Redemption may be more rewatchable but The Godfather is the greatest movie of all time

The godfather wins but shawshank is also beyond words. And really really really few movies in History can match this film. And even fewer beats it. Like the godfather

The Godfather. Both are overrated.

Godfather is the most overrated movie ever and sucks like hell. Godfather is so boring and slow as a snail, and wooden acting as well. Godfather is a horrible shitty movie.

This is super hard but i'll go godfather, it's the perfect movie

Godfather is nothing but an old boring junk movie. So boring and wooden.

A good point from MrBrown made my decision easier. I too remember every part of Shawshank so clearly, that speaks to the brilliance of the story-telling. Andy and Red one of the great movie friendships. The Shawshank Redemption beats The Godfather by a nose.

Another silly match. One of the best, if not the best movie ever made versus a overrated mediocre prison (Escape From Alcatraz is way much better and actually based on a true story and Murder in the First) movie with an Harry Potter ending. The Godfather OBVIOUSLY wins !!!

The Shawshank Redemption or: How to glue a poster on a wall in a hole inside of it.