The Empire Strikes Back vs. The Shawshank Redemption

27 comments

31 comments

Great storytelling in both of these movies! But Empire wins simply because of the continuous storyline, past and future.

Empire is just better.

No way. Shawashank is what sensible, intelligent film making is all about. Watch Green Mile to see how far wrong the pairing of Darabont and King could have gone....

set a film in a time when american prisons were segregated... then ignore the fact completely and lay on the 'storytelling' with another (yawn) morgan freeman voiceover. empire all the way.

yep as much as I enjoy Shawshank, Empire is the better film.

Empire, without question. Shawshank is entertaining, but it's a completely forgettable manipulative prison drama.

No, it is The Empire Strikes Back that is the entertaining, yet completely forgettable, film here. The Shawshank Redemption stuck with me long after I first saw it. So much so that I went back to it. Yet I can never see myself going back to any of the Star Wars films. All I can see myself remembering about them is the bad taste they left in my mouth.

I'm a "Star Wars" fan because of "The Empire Strikes Back." "Shawshank" features better performances, but it's not getting my vote here.

I know that most people would choose the Empire only because of it's place among the legendary movies of our time. But The Shawshank Redemption has got to be one of the greatest drama of our time. I have to go with the Shawshank Redemption.

Very interesting. I'll go with Empire though. It redefined a lot of what Hollywood is capable of.

Although The Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest films of all time, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that The Shawshank Redemption is the greatest-er of the two. Tim Robbins plays a character so deep and believable that even Darth Vader doesn't stand a chance.

Of the original trilogy...none of them have ever lost a single VS. Until now. I'm an absolute Star Wars fanatic, but Shawshank is just too damn good to lose this one. I can't believe I'm actually gonna hit submit on this one...

Gonna go with The Empire Strikes back. Star Wars just opened our eyes to the possibility of an entire new world, and TESB is probably the best one.

The Empire Strikes Back is too god damn good even though 'Redemption is a classic.

Both films are classic and could stand as two greats in film. But I am going to lean towards The Empire Strikes Back. Full of so much amazing moments and it is hard to beat the best Star Wars film.

I can't agree with most people here, Shawshank is my favorite film. I love Empire Strikes back, but...

I'll have to watch Empire again but right now it's TSR.

The Shawshank Redemption beats out any Star Wars in my opinion, and it is pretty hard to do that.

Shawshank is still #3

I never get tired of Empire. But I love Shawshank too, just not as much as Empire.

On paper, Shawshank is the better movie, but if I don't pick Empire, the child in me will never let me hear the end of it.

I never got super into the whole Star Wars thing so subsequently Empire doesn't do a lot for me.

I'm no Star Wars fanboy, but this is easy. Vader, Dagobah, Yoda, Hoth, Han, and mid-Trilogy Luke and his missing hand all make this easy. I'll never understand Shawshank's rep.

The Empire Strikes Back v. The Shawshank Redemption. This could take all day.

Even the best Star Wars film can't take out my favorite movie. Empire is outstanding though.

Empire Strikes Back for nostalgic reasons.

Oh how cruel!! My Fav star wars movie against the timeless Shawshank??!! a though one but i have to go with the latter.

Empire ain't the better movie, but I like it better.

I'm switching to Shawshank.

I'm choosing Empire because It's my favorite movie, even though Shawshank is in my Top 10.

ahhh its impossible

Shawshank wins easily

not many movies can handle shawshank

Empire easily gets the win for me. its also #2 on flick chart for me.

Both in my top 20 I grew up watching the original Star Wars films and The Empire Strikes Back was always my favorite out of all of them but Shawshank is a little more amazing really I don't have to explain much with these films on why their so fantastic we all know why their both amazing but again Shawshank wins

The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film by a long shot and beats The Shawshank Redemption for now.

This is one of the most difficult choices I've ever had to make on this site! I guess I'll go with Shawshank, but it's so close and so hard to call that it can go either way.

Empire Strikes Back is far better and greater.

Empire Strikes Back is a million times better.

Empire Strikes Back is a million times better.

Shawshank Redemption wins by, well, almost nothing. But it does win.

shawshank by a hair

Shawshank over every star wars movie

Tough one for me. I watch Empire more, but think Shawshank's the better movie. Probably.

Both films are two the greatest movies of all time and I love them, but I have to give it to The Empire Strikes Back.

WOW! Shawshank gets thrown around as one of or the "greatest film of all time". I thought Shawshank was very emotional and one of the most well acted films I have ever seen. But alas, The Empire Strikes Back has been my favourite film of all time for years! It's the movie that got me into, well, movies.

Wow, I'm actually had to think for a moment... what the heck, Empire has to get it. I must have watched it a hundred times.

I switched to Shawshank.

ear
ear

Empire Strikes Back is timeless and wins here.

The Shawshank Redemption>The Empire Strikes Back

To me, even the best Star Wars film is (albeit barely) lower than Shawshank for me. Love both, though.

My #2 vs #4. When I had recently watched shawshank i loved it more than empire but now my vote goes to empire

The Shawshank Redemption

The Shawshank Redemption beats every star wars film

I choose The Shawshank Redemption.Empire is good, but overrated

dude stop spamming, ESB wins but it's close

I love both but Shawshank is better for the technicals and the characters. But I loved Empire.

Shawshank redemption 100000x better than empire

love both but Shawshank has heart

ESB is probably the better movie but I am going with shawshank

Empire is good and all but Shawshank is the best term here

This is hard but Shawshank takes it for me

Both movies are great but Empire wins the reply factor. HARD to watch SSR more than once or twice. You can watch ESB many times and still enjoy it. SSR has far more depth and meaning. I usually go for that. This time , I am going with the SCI-FI icon of all time- Empire STRIKES BACK.. ITS THE BEST MOVIE of the 80s and too iconic

I changed my mind- the story is too strong and compelling and Shawshank wins. Such a serious movie about survival and hope. I hope I dont change again I am going with the more adult movie- Shawshank wins