The Shawshank Redemption vs. Memento

19 comments

14 comments

JRM
JRM

Oooh nooos! . . . Shawshank is just too amazing.

Well, you know, really, what kind of mood are you in? Do you need to be uplifted? Or are you in for something a little more...dystopian? These are both superb movies, and there is no wrong answer here; I choose Memento.

Easy choice for me... Shawshank all the way.

Choosing Memento. Only because my heart loves mystery.

Memento. Shawshank is great, but Memento does so much more...

For me, it HAS to be Shawshank!

Seb
Seb

How can anyone vote memento ova shawshank?! Memento is really good but shawshank is special and will probably stay that way for a long time

Shawshank for sure.

Tough one. Memento is intelligent and exceptionally intricate, but Shawshank is just so damn inspiring. Oh shucks, I've give it to Shawshank.

Holy crap, I thought for sure Memento would be winning this... I think it's by far the better, more ambitious/inventive film.

The rewatchability factor makes this an easy choice to make...The Shawshank Redemption holds up so much better after multiple viewings (and I say that as a big Christopher Nolan fan).

Shawshank is great, but Memento for me.

2 films that I absolutely love. Shawshank has an amazing story that is executed superbly, especially the cinematography. Memento is also great with a creative structure. I think Shawshank wins due to the moving dialogue and beautiful shots and music

There can be only one. And it's Shawshank.

Shawshank no doubt

Shawshank, but both are masterpieces.

Memento...i am not a shawshank fan at all

I love both, but it is Memento. There is literally nothing like it.

Memento is incredible, but Redemption solidly holds stronger than Memento is intriguing.

Shawshank wins.

Shawshank over every Christopher Nolan film.

A difficult choice, but I think Shawshank's better.

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm actually going with Memento. I'm seen Shawshank 3 times and every time I'm loved it but with Memento, every time I watch it I like it more. It has a sort of hypnotic quality on me and it's a film that I want to see many more times in the future. Shawshank is better than most other movies but Memento is nearly impossible to beat.

Memento stills so cool, but maybe Shawshank redemption is a better film

ear
ear

Another vote for Memento.

I appreciate Shawshank but love Memento! The structure, style and editing is incredible for that film!

Both are good but I'm going with Memento.

The shawshank redemption

Memento

Admire both masterpieces but memento has more provident here..

I wanna say this is tough because I LOVE both movies, but if I'm honest, it's actually a rather easy choice for me: Shawshank

At the end of the day, the opposite of what the last guy said.

The Shawshank Redemption without much of a doubt tbh. Memento is a gripping neo-noir about the flaws of memory and perception, but Shawshank's simple yet effective story about hope and freedom coupled with its amazing cinematography and beautifully-written script give it the edge here

To clarify, one thing I want to point out is that a major reason that Memento is claimed as a masterpiece (which I agree with) is because of its plot structure among other things. Shawshank's plot structure, while not as trippy and not quite as intricately crafted is nearly as good along with a more emotional element to it. That, along with the flawless lighting, amazing cinematography, the themes of freedom, hope, along with systemic corruption with well written and memorable dialogue, give it a win here.