E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial vs. Jurassic Park

9 comments

13 comments

Probably one of the hardest decisions i've made so far on flickchart, but i'll have to pick Jurassic Park. I was 7 when that movie came out, and seeing that in the theater is probably my absolute favorite childhood memory.

This is a toughie, but I went with E.T. While Jurassic Park has stunning special effects, E.T. is the better film on the whole.

I'm with Ottobud on this one. ET for me as well. It's classic :-)

I feel guilty picking either of these, but for me Jurassic Park was like visiting another world when I first saw it. Spielberg is the man!

ear
ear

Jurassic Park is the greater achievement. It still awes me.

I just don't get ET.

I'm relying on nostalgia for this one.

both great but i think Jurassic park wins by a hair

E.T. wins not a fan of Jurassic Park.

Jurassic Park for me. I grew up not with ET but with the dinosaurs.

Jurassic Park is the better one though E.T. is still a great movie.

Owww . . . While I hold Jurassic Park as my personal epitome of a movie, the 'movie that got me into movies', no matter how many times I see E.T. I still tear up towards the end. This is going to be tough.

Both are dear to me and remind me of different stages of my life. I enjoy JURASSIC PARK more, but E.T. evokes a more personal emotional reaction.

Y'know, looking back, I haven't said many nice things about Spielberg. I love Raiders and Last Crusade (despite being a Raiders rehash of sorts), but I thought Temple of Doom was annoying, unfunny and way too dark, Jurrasic Park had uninteresting, bland characters which resulted in the action scenes not being all that exciting, Close Encounters of the Third Kind was really boring, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Jaws was good...but was it really THAT good? E.T. on the other hand completely deserves the praise it gets. It's heartfelt, it has a phenomenal theme, the characters are likeable and it's very well directed.

@MysticSpoon; Jaws was absolutely "THAT good", but if Jaws is my favourite Spielberg film and Schindler's List is second (debatable though, considering I've only seen it once), E.T. comes in at a close third. All three are in my top 20 and deservedly so. It's funny; for the best part of 10 years I was absolutely petrified by E.T., wouldn't go anywhere near it. Who would have thought I'd have found a 3-foot tall walking, talking piece of loveable faeces scarier than marauding dinosaurs!? Still, while I love Jurassic Park, its flaws are beginning to grate on me after all these years, and it's just a little too problematic to stand up with my other favourites, but E.T. gets better with every viewing. MysticSpoon pretty much summed up why in detail (though I suspect you've been watching Nostalgia Critic for the views on JP and Temple of Doom, not that I blame or disagree with you ;P).

Jurassic Park. E.T. hasn't aged well....

E.T. is without a doubt my favorite film of all time, I like Jurassic Park.....a lot, but it's no E.T.

Well, I finally watched ET. It was really good, but not great in my opinion. Jurassic Park on the other hand is a film I have and always will love. Even if I had grown up with ET, I'm pretty damn sure I'd still go with Jurassic Park.

Very hard choice. I think I'll take the E.T. Subject to change.

two of the greatest adventure films of all time both are remarkable but even though on a production level JP had more too offer E.T made less mistakes and had a magical message of Hope and childhood wonder!

Jurassic Park for me still holds up and still gives me chills even when I just think about it. E.T. is good but Jurassic Park had more stunning visuals and the music! Oh, I'll always remember when I first heard that when that dinosaur lifted up its legs and the others walked out of the pond. Made me feel like a young schoolboy again.

Jurassic Park was my favorite for 5 years...if a film stop it on my chart, can't be directed by Spielberg.

Both of these are the best work of Steven Spielberg. JP is the best.

My 1 vs. My 2. Where's the draw button ?

ET is just Took magical to loose here

Jurassic Park is better, ET wasn't any of my experience for nothing.

Two Spielberg classics. I'm going with Jurassic Park.

Jurassic Park>E.T.