GoldenEye vs. Tomorrow Never Dies

7 comments

5 comments

GoldenEye all the way because it inspired the best fps ever created.

@gotbass210 - I still maintain that is the greatest multiplayer ever made! That aside, the whole media-baron trying to take over the world thing from TND is just a little too silly (even for James Bond), and that's why I'm going for Goldeneye.

Tomorrow Never Dies is criminally underrated, but Goldeneye is one of the all-time best Bonds

Top 5 FPSs. Top Bond.

It's interesting so many fans give "GoldenEye" the edge because of the N64 game. As for TND, Elliot Carver may not have the sex appeal of a 006, but he's a very plausible threat. Just look at Rupert Murdoch and Fox News, and imagine if you learned that he had a hand in the invasion of Iraq. It's not that big of a leap to the Bond world.

The crazy Russian girl in GoldenEye bugged me every time she was on but aside from her I did like the movie. But I still think that Tomorrow Never Dies is a better movie

I agree that TND is underrated, but it still doesn't top GoldenEye, which really brought Bond back in a big way.

Goldeneye. Great game and it inspired one of the best video games ever...

Bondathon continues...: GoldenEye vs Tomorrow Never Dies. "I owe you an unpleasant death, Mr. Bond!". Tomorrow Never Dies is fantastic. It's one of the lowest ranked Bond movies? Really? That makes it a highly underappreciated Bond film. This movie has everything: a bad-ass Bond girl, an over-the-top but also menacing villain, an entertaining henchman, a plot that's actually very similar to the early Connery Bond flicks, a car with gadgets, great action, and even that nazi general from Last Crusade making a cameo appearance. It's not perfect, but damn it, it sure as hell is entertaining. The action and humor are not as great as in GoldenEye, but it's both still good. And in some ways I even prefer Tomorrow Never Dies to GoldenEye. The villain played Jonathan Pryce is outstanding, and I even liked him more than Sean Bean. So over-the-top, so entertaining, it's one of my favorite Bond villains. I also think Wai Lin is a better Bondgirl than Natalya Simonova. Something about Natalya just annoyed me. I don’t know, maybe it was the accent. I think I ultimately have to go with GoldenEye, but it is definitely a close one.

I agree that Tomorrow Never Dies is actually really good and pretty underrated. That being said, GoldenEye is better.

Nah, Tomorrow Never Dies isn't very good at all. It certainly is a step down from the solid GoldenEye.

You know what, I'm going to make a statement and go with Tomorrow Never Dies. Nowadays, I can't help but notice how incredibly dated GoldenEye is. The score is horrendously 90s, the accents are annoying, Brosnan's first portrayal of Bond is beyond bland and the plot is just too confusing. Tomorrow Never Dies on the other hand...alright, maybe it isn't "fantastic", but I find it much more entertaining, despite not reaching the "highs" of GoldenEye. And damn it, I love Jonathan Pryce as the villain, who's campy as hell which is very entertaining. And the film itself just holds up better in my opinion, ugly 90s BMW or not.

GoldenEye.

Conventional wisdom, at least on this site, is that Brosnan's first Bond rocked but none of the others did, with each of his appearances being increasingly sucky. It's true that his last outing is terrible (I haven't seen The World is Not Enough), but I think these two are a lot closer than I was led to believe. GoldenEye is certainly the more "serious" Bond flick, with high personal stakes for 007 due to 006's betrayal, and a very smart wrap-up of the Cold War theme that had been so important for the franchise. It also benefits from more screen time for Judi Dench's marvelous M and Samantha Bond as Moneypenny. Tomorrow Never Dies, on the other hand, features social commentary that's 100% contemporary, Michelle Yeoh kicking all kinds of ass, and Jonathan Pryce's deliciously hammy villain. I'm actually giving it to TND, by a hair, but these are side by side on my chart.

Goldeneye is fun, moved smoothly and is rememberable. Tomorrow Never Dies is like the film that you want to die but it just keeps going because it won't die! Not to mention the primus behind the film is just dumb.

Tomorrow Never Dies. Whilst the locations in GoldenEye are better, Wai Lin is one of two Bond girls who can think for themselves (the other one being Camille Montes) and TND has better action, an underrated villain and a solid performance from Brosnan.