The Godfather Part II vs. The Shawshank Redemption

16 comments

14 comments

Wow! This is the toughest match up I've had yet. I can easily go either way depending on my mood. I'm going to go with Godfather Part 2 only because it feels much more epic than Shawshank, but am definitely not sure I made the right decision.

Here we go! A big matchup of two great films. At this time, I prefer Godfather I to Godfather II, which I think gives Shawshank the edge. But I don't know if it could beat the original.

Although I really liked The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather is still my favorite film of all time.

Redemption is good but it's wildly overrated.

Both great films which is why this is incredibly hard but, Shawshank Redemption is higher on my chart

The Godfather II is the more complex film.

This is one of the hardest comparisons out there. How do you choose out of two of the best movies ever made?

Shawshank it is. Impossible to turn the channel any time I see it on television...

Part II all the way guys.

Both are overated in my opinion i will go with the one that is less depressing. Shawshank it is!

Part II triumphs

should give some sympathies to Shawshank

damn....changed my mind

Shawshank for me.

The Godfather Part II.

For now, shawshank wins by an atom

Shawshank Redemption!

The Godfather 2 is more complex and greater, than shawshank redemption

It's going to be Shawshank for me..

Godfather Part 2 could win if the entire film was like the first 45 minutes. After that, it becomes an uninteresting slog of a mess. Shawshank is a much tighter and well written film!

The Shawshank Redemption is easily the best classic film here.

Shawshank edges out here.

I don't understand the love for Shawshank, it's good but not as good as either of the first two Godfather movies.

The Shawshank Redemption is nominal best of all time above the biggest classic films ever, godfather 2 is overlong and not much prodigious

Gotta go for The Godfather Part 2. It's a tragic story about a man losing his soul. It has one of, if not the best, acting performance in cinematic history. It has better cinematography and lighting than Shawshank, easily better editing, it's more complex with its themes and comments on America and corruption. It furthers the themes of family and the duality between the American life and the Mafia life. Michael is a better developed character than anyone in Shawshank by quite a large margin. So yeah, I do think The Godfather Part 2 takes it in nearly every category. I'd say, however, that Shawshank is more rewatchable. But The Godfather Part 2 is #1 on my list of the greatest movies of all time, and I don't think that will ever change. So yeah, it wins here

Shawshank is a far way better film and it clearly takes the nod, godfather 2 isn't good complex but overlong

I wouldn't say it's overlong. It doesn't have any scenes that could have been cut, and everything is cut exactly when it needed to be. I think maybe it just wasn't for you. Shawshank is a good movie, but I do feel that its actual value gets overblown by people

Shawshank Win Super Extreme Difficulty

Godfather 2 is generally overlong yet not like the likely superior as the original classic, Shawshank Redemption takes the nod here

The shawshank Redemption is one of the greatest movies of all times but i have to say the godfather part II.

Ah not... Godfather II clear