Se7en vs. The Shawshank Redemption

13 comments

15 comments

Ouch... Hard one. Uplifting Drama or Soulcrushing Drama? I'll go with Uplifting, I guess.

Se7en absolutely blew my mind when I saw it for the first time. Upon repeat viewings, it seems to get better and better. Both are phenomenal, even though the messages they convey are polar opposites of each other. I'll go with Se7en, but both are easily in my personal top 10 favorite movies of all-time.

Se7en is fine, but Shawshank is better.

I'll take an inspirational ending over a depressing one almost every time. The Shawshank Redemption wins.

Shawshank. No contest. And I freakin' love Se7en...

Se7en tears apart Shawshank. Morgan Freeman's best film till date.

I guess Shawshank had the better Morgan Freeman performance, but I like Se7en better.

Oh shit, ummmm... hmmmmmm i gotta go Se7en i dont really knowwhy. That ending was just to fucked up to not put Se7en over Shawshank.

Shawshank Redemption gets my vote. A near perfect film.

The Shawshank Redemption for me.

It's extremely tough, but I have to side with Seven (but it is CLOSE!)

Shawshank Redemption wins again!

For now I'll go with Shawshank, but I will probably be watching Se7en again pretty soon so my opinion may change.

Shawshank is my all time favorite movie. But I freaking love Seven

Both top 30, but I was right, Se7en now wins.

Shawshank no contest

2 great classics of Morgan freeman. but I liked SE7EN a little bit more.

Shawshank is great cause of Freeman but its way overrated a top 5 Prison Film but a little forced and flat with Characters I really dont care about- while I love everything about SEVEN! Pitt and Freeman at their best and a scary mysterious killer and twist and turns everywhere!

Both movies blew me away when I first watched them. I love Se7en but I have to give a slight edge to Shawshank. You can't go wrong with either film though.

Interestingly enough, I'll take a depressing ending over an inspirational one almost every time, but I think I'm going with Shawshank.

My top 2 Morgan Freeman movies, but which one is better?

Shawshank redemption gets the easy win here.Two Ace Morgan Freeman Performances here

Shawshank is great, but I would consider it overrated. Se7en is in my top 30, and it gets the win here.

Shawshank Redemption wins

This is a tough decision. Both are great in every way but Seven wins in a really close one.

Ultimate Pessimism vs. Ultimate Optimism. Se7en wins.

Both great films shawshank is a movie that I will stop and watch if it's on tv.

The funny thing about Se7en and Shawshank is that they both have very similar endings related to hope, and both end on an optimistic note, albeit Se7en's ending is still clouded by its insanely disturbing 3rd act. I think both are phenomenal movies. I think Se7en has better cinematography, editing, and visual style. I think they're near equal in terms of plot structure, but I'll give it to Shawshank for how well it uses its structure. Characters is also a tie. John Doe was one of the best villains in cinema history. But Red, Brooks, and Andy are all great characters as well. The acting is phenomenal for both, with a edge in Se7en's favor due to Kevin Spacey and Brad Pitt. But I would say Shawshank takes this as it's a movie that emotionally touches me more, a movie that is still just as entertaining as when I first watched it. So, for me, it takes the nod on this one. But you really can't go wrong here

love both but shawshank

I love se7en but it can't beat the Shawshank redemption. Close match-up though.