The Dark Knight Rises vs. Guardians of the Galaxy

21 comments

13 comments

The Dark Knight Rises

Rises.

I feel The Dark Knight Rises more. But Guardians hit the emotions pretty hard as well.

Eh, I slightly prefer Guardians of the Galaxy. The Dark Knight Rises had some hard-to-ignore flaws.

Agree, Caesar. TDKR is VERY flawed. Defi the worst of the trilogy

TDKR wasn't just flawed--it was an inexcusable mess from start to finish. It's hard to believe this piece of crap came from the same director that gave us The Dark Knight. Guardians, meanwhile, was a breath of fresh air, even for the Marvel movies. Guardians all the way.

Dark Knight Rises. Guardians has the same problem as the first Thor movie, in that it's constantly in a rush to get to the finale, resulting in underdeveloped, contrived character interactions.

GotG is a fun movie, but isn't as good as TDKR.

@SquareMaster "Underdeveloped, contrived character interactions" in a movie where 90% of its duration is centered entirely around character presentation, development and interactions. Especially the later, might I add. Did you even watch the movie w/a minimally imparcial mindset? Or at all?! Dude, the Nolan fanboyism is alright I guess, but the insane antagonizing of Marvel goes beyond simple opinions - it's just absurd and makes you sound like a bitter little bitch. Or a troll. If you're gonna say this for every single Marvel movie, you're better off not saying anything at all (you and the Marvel fanboys too - they all should fuck off to their little pits already). And for the record, as far as this actual battle is concerned, I am probably one of the few people in the internet that still really likes TDKR for its great cast, emotion and set pieces, in spite of its big flaws, but yeah, GOTG has a greater cast, greater characters, greater dialogue, greater visuals and just felt like a huge breath of fresh air. It wins here for me.

@AARM, if you haven't figured out that Squaremaster is a troll by now, you either haven't been on Flickchart long enough or haven't been engaged enough with the comments section on every DC/Nolan film vs Marvel film (or indeed any film which isn't based on a DC comics IP or made by Christopher Nolan). Though I do find it amusing how, in this instance, he attempts to disguise his childish intentions with something resembling legitimate criticism (even if it is as close to being "wrong" as a subjective opinion can get). Anyway, this is closer than I thought it would be on rankings alone, but my personal sentiment couldn't be more aligned with Guardians of the Galaxy. Although I have watched TDKR multiple times now and have come to enjoy on its merits in spite of its inescapable flaws, I still think it is the weakest of the Dark Knight trilogy and I borderline hated it on first viewing. It definitely improves with repeat viewings and still showcases pretty much everything that Christopher Nolan is good at (big visual set pieces, emaculate production design, an emphasis on practical over digital effects and intelligent vision and direction) as well as everything which he consistently fails to overcome (exposition-heavy writing, contrived character arcs and an over-reliance on "tell" rather than "show" to overcome major plot holes (when he can be bothered at all, that is)). I have only seen Guardians of the Galaxy once, and while I still have a few issues with it (the last minute plot twist about Quill's father combined with the "defeated by the power of love" climax veered close to Shyamalan storytelling idiosyncrasies, the weak villain (a staple of MCU films aside from Loki) and an approach to developing character relationships bearing too close a resemblance to Avengers: Assemble), the film is still incredibly fun, visually arresting, engaging, hilarious, moving and invigorating all in one, and it doesn't need repeat viewings in order to get better. Eight months on and with enough geek-sourced information on the story behind Guardians and its conception, it still amazes me just thinking about what an achievement it is that this film a) exists and b) is as good as it is, despite everything that I have already said, in an age where the industry puts an emphasis on safe, predictable, mediocre ideas for film stories. Guardians of the Galaxy wins.

70% of Marvel films can beat The Dark Knight Rises (Why this beat Thor, Thor 2, The Avengers, and the first Captain America), with The Dark Knight 100% of the films.

The Dark Knight is universally considered the undisputed pinnacle of CBM film making and storytelling for too many reasons to count, and Rises is a more than worthy sequel that rivals the best that any other company can put out.

*Palmface*

I prefer rises

For me it's Guardians well more fun than Rises indeed.

Guardians of the galaxy is success and as the TDKR is far terrible.

gotg 1 is overrated for me

Guardians of the galaxy well watchable modern of MCU.

Guardians of the galaxy is watchable better plot, TDKR is not.

beep boop beep boop this movie big good good beep boop beep boop rises big bad beep boop beep boop

Rises is that forgettable bad that doesn’t even reach in this round.

overratedians of the galaxy gets destroyed by rises

The Dark Knight Rises is way better in terms of quality, but Guardians of the Galaxy is slightly more enjoyable and way way way more rewatchable

GOTG is overrated, the sequel is better in everyway possible

The Dark Knight Rises is one of the worst sequels ever made to be sure.

Superman 3,4, Batman Forever and Robin, Spider-Man 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, Superman Returns, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Apocalypse, Iron Man 2. There is still a lot that I am not listing but you get the point

TDKR was a mess. Even fans have to admit that don't they? So badly written.

yea films like Captain Marvel and Thor: The Dark World is so incredibly well written!!!

TDKR stomps. Lol at the usual suspects coming here and hating.

Yea what is with the Dark Knight Rises hate here

it's literally just one or two people but they're on like 20 alts, i mean look at what they say, same speech same pattern, literally like a NPC

dark knight rises is the best superhero movie ever made to be sure, incredibly well written

TDKR by far tbh, don't get what's so good about gotg other than ze lol xd awkward relatable humor

Guardians of the Galaxy for me, TDKR was epic but had to much plotholes.

I find Dark Knight Rises to be a better movie and more enjoyable, even if Guardians of the Galaxy is more rewatchable

As much as I like Guardians, this is a mismatch, TDKR wins and wins big