The Deer Hunter vs. The Godfather

2 comments

10 comments

Sorry Deer Hunter, but we're talking The Godfather here...

OK. This is it. The matchup of the ages. The two greatest movies of all time. GOD DAMN IT!! WORKS OF ART!! And now, the choice.... the winner is the movie that has the more powerfull moments. and that movie is...

Godfather crushes here....

Obviously these are both classics, but the winner here is gonna be The Deer Hunter for me. I'm a sucker for any film with Meryl Streep in it I guess.

Meryl Streep is great i agree, and is hot as hell in here, but godfather takes it still

Both Best Picture winners, both from the '70's and both about 3 hours long, but of the two The Godfather is much more enjoyable to sit through while The Deer Hunter has its moments, there's a lot of unnecessarily lengthy scenes in there that really don't do much for the film overall.

The Deer Hunter was one of the meh movies. It got Best Picture because there were horrendous movies that year. The Godfather had the odds against it, because everyone thought Cabaret was going to take out the gold, but the classic legendary film took it out. The Godfather for me

The Deer Hunter was one of those meh movies. It got Best Picture because there were horrendous movies that year. The Godfather had the odds against it, because everyone thought Cabaret was going to take out the gold, but the classic legendary film took it out. The Godfather for me

I apologize, Godfather, but The Deer Hunter haunted me for weeks afterwards and the scene where they sit in silence before the leave for the war still appears in my dreams to this day. The Deer Hunter.

The Deer Hunter easily wins this one. The Deer Hunter has better music, better action and much more excitement than that booring Godfather shit has.

^Funny you say that because it was The Deer Hunter that bored me. The Godfather is in my top 10.

I've currently got "The Godfather" at 55 and "The Deer Hunter" as 59. I guess I give "The Godfather" the very slight edge for being far more rewatchable and for boasting so many great performances but I do feel "The Deer Hunter" is at least slightly more powerful.

Godfather for sure, but Deer Hunter is also amazing.

OK. This is a big one. Ive seen all Godfather films many times,but just watched the Deer Hunter Blu-Ray . I have only seen Deer Hunter once before on VHS,like 15 years ago ,and had honestly forgotten most of it. This movie sent chills through my entire body. The acting is 10X better than Godfather,with the exception of Al Pachino,and Deniro in the Godfather films Talia Shire and James Cann are the worst actors I've ever seen. The Russian wedding scene in Deer Hunter is incredible,in that you feel like you went to that wedding,it was almost 45 mins long! The depressing feel of Clairton,Penn. is chilling. The Russian roulette scene in Nam is much more shocking than anything in any Godfather film. I feel the deer Hunter is a better film ,but less re-watchable than Godfather ,as it is very depressing. Deer Hunter is a Better Film.

P.S. It is worth watching the Godfather just to see John Cazale's brilliant turn as Fredo,especially in Godfather 2! He was IMO one of the greatest actors in the Godfather. He really was incredible. What a shame to have lost him so young. He is stellar in Deer hunter also .