The Dark Knight Rises vs. Skyfall

10 comments

11 comments

What is up with the media constantly comparing these two? I dunno. I guess because both heroes have to learn how to be a 'hero' again, and both have to deal with their emotional past. But that's it. As for which one I like better, I think I have to go with Skyfall. The Dark Knight Rises is a great achievement, but it is undeniably flawed. I felt more satisfied leaving Skyfall than I did with TDKR. I had a conversation with my dad about this, and he said he liked TDKR better. I really have to see Rises again, but I'm choosing Skyfall, without a doubt.

@MysticSpoon, Sam Mendes said he took a lot of inspiration from The Dark Knight in terms of how it reshaped both the Batman and Superhero franchise as a whole (also the confrontation between the hero and villain is quite similar). But overall, the film has more in common with TDKR for the reasons you described. Having seen TDKR twice now, being extremely disappointed the first time and subsequently warming to it more, I can safely say that it's a decent film encumbered by too many flaws and inconsistencies to be considered a good standalone film. It works well as an end to the trilogy, and I will quite happily watch it as part of a Batman marathon when it comes out, but for my money it is probably the most overrated film to have been released this summer. Skyfall on the other hand deserves every praise it gets, and I'm safely confident will be my favourite film of 2012. Skyfall wins.

Skyfall easy, Skyfall was what the Dark Kngith Rises was trying to be but failed to reach

A bit surprised Skyfall is winning this. Man...the similarities between The Dark Knight and Skyfall are uncanny.

RISE

Comparisons can be drawn between the two as they are both the major action franchise blockbusters of the year and the plots can be seen as similar: The hero is starting to find it more difficult to do his job in the world evolving around him. Skyfall is just a wonderful film in my opinion, it beats TDKR in almost every category. The moment I saw Skyfall it became one of my very favorite movies. Both are two of 2012's best but I must give it to Skyfall.

RISE

TDK is more visually compelling than Skyfall.

I'll go with Rise....but this is about as difficult as it can get...

Skyfall is alright. The Dark Knight Rises is great.

Both are very dark but i prefer Batman

I disagree about the "visually compelling" aspect. "Skyfall" is beautifully filmed, probably the best Bond in purely cinematographic terms. I'm a little bummed that Christopher Nolan seems to always go with the same palette. "Rises" was a misstep for Nolan. It had some nice visuals, but nothing that really sticks with me, and no truly great scenes. "Skyfall" is by no means perfect, but it is definitely one of the best action films of the year and one of the best Bond films ever -- a game-changer for the series.

Skyfall wins simply due to less flaws.... Dark Knight Rises is entertaining and great but Skyfall is my 2nd favorite of the year

both are good, but batman is great

Tough one...For now, TDKR

The Dark Knight Rises was very disappointing, Skyfall on the other hand was the best James Bond film to date.

wow, people these days

007 for me. Rises is to boring in the middle section. Good beginning and good end. Nolan tried too hard to make it Epic. Long doesn't always mean good.

Skyfall is instantly better of 2012, TDKR is obviously bad awful on every level.

Skyfall is far better and it wins with ease.

Skyfall for sure. TDKR is such a bad movie any way you judge it.

Skyfall is alright, Dark Knight Rises wins with ease

TDKR by far, never loved skyfall that much

Skyfall was the better movie. While I have seen TDKR more, it had a really bad 3rd act.

TDKR. I love Skyfall but I didn't find anything in it to be as intense and remarkable as TDKR