Spirited Away vs. Pan's Labyrinth

13 comments

9 comments

Two fantastic fantasies. Labyrinth gets the win though for being so fantastical and real.

Too hard! What a rude couple to choose from! It has to be Spirited Away. No, Pan's Labyrinth!

The films are more-or-less equal, in my mind, but at least Spirited Away has a happy ending.

JRM
JRM

I loved Spirited Away, but this isn't tough for me at all -- Pan's Labyrinth all the way.

Pan's Labyrinth just rubbed me the wrong way.

Yikes. I'll stick with Pan's Labyrinth though.

These BOTH rubbed me the wrong way. I'm choosing Pan's Labyrinth purely because it was more intelligible.

Both are in my top 10 ... but I have to go with Spirited Away by a little bit. Pan's Labyrinth was deeper in both its storytelling and messages, while Spirited Away was more fun to watch and executed more beautifully and had a soundtrack to die for; take your pick. Why are all "Alice in Wonderland" movies so good (except for, ironically, those actually titled "Alice in Wonderland")? You start off with The Wizard of Oz in 1939, and now comes two more masterpieces of the 21st century.

Pan's, both fantastic but to me Pan's is a masterpiece

Pan made no sense to me. Spirited Away, on the other hand, was the perfect animated film. It was just soo good. I'm going with Spirited Away.

I prefer spirited away it was more creative, imaginative and complex besides it has the most beautiful soundtrack ever and the character design was better

Wow, tough choice but Spirited Away is so unique and creative that I have to go with it

Spirited Away is one of the best looking animated films ever made, but the plot isn't very good. It seems more like a movie for kids. PL has deep themes and symbolism which I like.

Pan, without a second thought...

One of the hardest choices on this website. Pan's Labyrinth takes the slight victory, though.

Most people choose Pan, but I think Spirited Away is just slightly, ever-so-slightly, better. I do admit that Pan had far more tension, suspense, and a sacrificial powerful ending. However, Spirited Away brings in the crazy creativity and unique messages. Despite having an ending that goes nowhere, I personally prefer "joyous" movies to "tragic" movies in general. That is not to say that this wasn't hard; in the end it just came to my personal taste.

My past self is correct, I believe. Pan's does fall apart when reviewed on an analytical basis. Both are fantastical but Spirited away is more believable. Even if, as my past self had sad, S.A.'s ending is weak, the happy ending I believe takes the cake. Close call.

Slight, slight edge to PAN'S LABYRINTH though I almost expect Spirited Away to topple it on re-watch. Two absolutely phenomenal films of the 21st Century with two of the most beautifully realized fantastical realms for my money. Both movies absolutely floor me for its emotional vibrancy and visual attentiveness.

i absolutely love both, but i prefer miyazaki to del toro here

Pan's Labyrinth takes the win quite comfortably in this match-up!

Spirited Away.

Spirited Away is technically one of the greatest anime films ever.

Spirited Away definitely.