Apocalypse Now vs. Blade Runner

19 comments

11 comments

I was waiting for this battle....

As much as I love war movies I am a scifi fan first.

Photographically, these are two of the most important American films made in color, period. "Apocalypse Now" wins for story, but it's a film I admire more than love. I can watch "Blade Runner" all day.

Making this decision is intellectually traumatic! Both ooze with slow-burn apocalyptic ambiance, both are aesthetic masterpieces, and both have extremely strong scripts. All I can do is side with the film that I would choose if both were on television at the same time: Apocalypse Now.

I love both, but at times Apocalypse Now drags where as Blade Runner never does lose you.

Storywise, Blade Runner seems more shallow than AN-- although both have a deep sense of mood and are cinematographicly rich.

apocalypse now verses blade runner? now were talking... however blade runner wins because it is STILL ahead of its time.

The length of Apacalypse hurts it in this battle here. Both are masterpieces and I need a reason to choose one, so length will have to do.

Well, here's two movies that are hurt by excessive narration. Fortunately for Blade Runner, there's a director's cut without the narration. Yeah, there's an extended version of Apocalypse Now out there, but it's needlessly longer and it still has the narration in it. That's what I hate about director's cuts and extended versions when it comes to ranking movies - Do I just stick with the theatrical releases? The Blade Runner Director's Cut version is quite a bit different from the original and I think it's superior to either version of Apocalypse Now. The theatrical Blade Runner...probably not. Anyway, I've seen Apocalypse Now many times, and some of it is pretty tedious. Martin Sheen narrates about the madness of war constantly, when the movie already speaks for itself. And the end scenes kind of meander. I'd have to say Rutger Hauer's final words are more effective than any of Brando's mumblings. Apocalypse Now is just too heavy-handed.

Have to give this to Blade Runner right now, for rewatchability.

Good matchup. BR wins it by a frame.

Two movies who deserves to be in that top 20 list on your left.

i'm sorry blade runner, but apocalypse now is simpley the perfect movie.

Probably my two favorite films of all time, and that's saying a lot. choosing between these two means choosing my favorite film

I have seen them both on the big screen (blade runner 2 years ago on a limited release in imax in full hd WOW ) and there blade runner wins big time

I love Blade Runner, but AN wins for me. If we're looking at Director's Cut/Extended editions, it flips the other way, so in no way is this an easy vote, but when it comes to original theatrical versions, AN is victorious, and this is from a sci-fi nerd.

Blade Runner, I appreciate Apocalypse Now but i love Blade Runner

Apocalypse Now and it's not even close.

Two haunting portraits of their respectable genres. I'm afraid Apocalypse Now gets the win.

Apocalypse Now is the better film. Blade Runner is a great watch though.

Never a huge Blade Runner guy....but it's enough to beat AN.

Apocalypse Now has to be the winner here.

Apocalypse Now is clearly the better film.

For me the first half of apcalypse now was boring as hell...it was only interesting when brando stepped in...but blade runner was the best sci/fi flick of the 20th century...so BR for me...

Blade Runner's fault was that its true meaning and full artistic potential were compromised by its film company. The Final Cut of the film is the best version. However, even that version does not hold water to the film-making masterpiece that is Apocalypse Now.

Apocalypse Now gets my vote. If the criteria is (mesmerizing) direction, it wins. If it is a legendary production history, that gave it's lead a heart attack, it wins. If it's artistically expressing the quagmire of modern life, it wins. Blade Runner is a brilliant, seminal, legendary film; certainly more influential and copied than Apocalypse Now. BR' various versions, initial failure and ultimate cult status, especially it's production value and unique vision of the future hold up like other classic films. So this is really a great debate piece. And Harrison Ford is in both....

Both were taxing, problematic productions that nevertheless couldn't be kept from achieving the cinematic sublime, and in the viewing experience, one can almost feel the sweat, tears and madness that went into making them. I have immense respect for both but Blade Runner redrew the lines of film as an art-form, and is the pinnacle of ambitious film-making.

Blade Runner.

ear
ear

Apocalypse Now is clearly the superior film.

Blade Runner has great messages but a great message doesn't make a great film. Apocalypse Now is a very good film!

I enjoy Blade Runner more.

enjoy Blade Runner more.

Love both but apocalypse now is better