The Wizard of Oz vs. Citizen Kane

4 comments

10 comments

Ummm...wow...hardest choice yet. Damn.

GOSH, this is a great competition! Dorothy vs. CHARLES FUCKING FOSTER KANE. Sorry Dorthy, you got your ass kicked and they wrote a gossipy fluff piece about you in section E Arts & Entertainment section. Let the headline read: CITIZEN KANE WINNNNSSSSSS

Citizen Kane is unworthy of the, "Best Film of All Time," crown, but at least I can understand the level of adoration there. I just fail to see greatness in The Wizard of Oz; maybe watching it and listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon simultaneously will change my mind. Heh.

Citizen Kane is great, a revolution for film making and story telling. It might be more important to film than Wizard of OZ, but it's not more fun, better made perhaps. Oz is something truly transcendent: a fantasy film that almost builds and flourishes in it's own reality. Basically, I love Oz; I respect Kane.

Wizard of OZ is far better for me. I can't think of many other movies that transcend it's genre and is respected by people who cannot stand other movies of the same vein.

Kane is a nearly perfect film. Oz is a fantastic film, but as i grow older and more cynical the film loses some of it's magic. KANE WINS.

I Don't Like 1939's The Wizard Of Oz But I Still Like 1941's Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane by a long shot. The opening sequence alone justifies it winning this match up.

They're both very important to both the history of film and relating very closely to what was going on in the respective time periods which they were made. The Wizard of Oz's greatness really comes from how it relates / contrasts with its Depression creation period, whereas Citizen Kane is greater on its own.

Citizen Kane is a much more enjoyable film, that holds up terrifically today as a great narrative.

The Wizard of Oz is the most important film in cinema history! Not the best, but the most important, and I think Kane is a bit overrated!

The 2nd and 3rd best films ever made ? Kane

This choice is very hard, but I'm going with Charles Foster Kane on this one.

I hate to disrespect the Wizard of Oz because I love that movie. But this is no contest if this were a heavy weight fight it would be over in about 2 rounds. Citizen Kane is the winner by a mile.

The Wizard of Oz surprised me with how good it was. But Citizen Kane is just 1 level higher. I'd say Oz is in the second tier of movies, while Kane is in the first along with very few other films.

THE WIZARD OF OZ CRUSHES CITIZEN KANE!