The Wolf of Wall Street vs. Captain Phillips

7 comments

2 comments

My top 2 of 2013. Don't know if I can honestly say if one is better than the other.

This should really be a battle between Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks! The Wolf of Wall Street gets my vote...

I think I've warmed more to Wolf on Wall Street since watching it; it pissed me off at first that Scorcese was getting unfettered praise for rehashing old stories and old films with a new cast (white collar Goodfellas anyone?), plus the fact that it was far FAR too long and could have lost at least 30-40 minutes without suffering at all. But the more I think about it, the more I kind of admire just how over the top and excessive it was, despite my initial revulsion at it. That being said, Captain Phillips is a film more suited to my tastes, and despite having a ponderous, repetitive middle/third act and possibly giving more credit to a story and characters than they deserve, it still deserves praises for proving that Paul Greengrass is still one of the best thriller/docu-drama/BoaTS directors in the business and for it's two standout performances from Hanks and Abdi. The former gives arguable one of his finest performances in a long, award-rich career, and the latter does something I wouldn't have thought possible in a modern Hollywood thriller; giving an ethnic antagonist performance which is actually rounded, sympathetic and believable without giving into the cliched "noble savage" archetype. And despite Leonardo giving an equally memorable performance to match Hanks, that's more than enough for Captain Phillips to seal the win here.

Captain Phillips is great but I'm going with The Wolf of Wall Street.

Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi gave excellent performances but Wolf was one of my favorites in years.

I like Captain phillips more

Two great films evenly rated but today I'll go with Captain Phillips. The only negative part about Wolf is too many (and redundant) speeches.

Wolf for me. Both are really well done.

They're completely different movies. I'm going with Captain Phillips. I think it was more well done. The ending alone could be enough for me to pick it. It's arguably Tom Hanks' best acting moment and he's my favorite actor. It almost brought me to tears. Barkhad Abdi had never acted before and also gave a great performance.

Wall Street...but super close...