The Outlaw Josey Wales vs. The Godfather

1 comments

6 comments

The Outlaw Josey Wales was great, but against The Godfather? No way...

agreed

Josey Wales seems a little more honest about just being an overblown live action cartoon with a layer of token grittiness. It's also better in just about every category except "every frame looking really pretty".

The Godfather has to win here....but I love me some Josey Wales...

The Outlaw Josey Wales is great up until the point he starts letting every dimwit he crosses paths with tag along with him. The Godfather is bliss from beginning to end. No contest at all.

I'm with Caesar on this one. The Outlaw Josey Wales (aka "Clint Eastwood likes spitting on stuff...a lot") isn't all that great. It has a really clunky pacing (especially the first 30 minutes) and like Caesar said, I have a problem with him teaming up with the people he meets. I guess they share some of the same problems as him, but that's not enough for them to team up with him. And besides that, they don't do anything. Sure, they're there to help him near the end, but haven't we seen before in the film that he doesn't need help? And isn't it more awesome to see Clint Eastwood completely on his own (or treat his sidekicks like shit)? The best Clint Eastwood films have shown that. And sure, he has a romance with Sonda Locke in the film, but what's the point of that romance if it really kicks in near the end of the film AND if he leaves her at the end? Add Chief Exposition and Grandma McPointless and you have a collection of characters that really didn't need to be in this film. And the plot doesn't go anywhere. It's just "Josey Wales is on the run, he meets a bunch of people, he fights some people, the end". That's really it. I don't have much of a problem with that if there's something that compensates for that, like great acting, directing or something else, but there really isn't. Even Eastwood is surprisingly tame in this. There's nothing here that stands out, which is really disappointing. I can't call it a bad film, nor a mediocre one, but it definitely is a disappointing one. I'm kind of baffled that people call this a great western by Eastwood when it really is one of his weaker efforts, both as an actor and as a director. The Godfather outshines it in literally every category. The Outlaw Josey Wales is on the lower side of "okay". Also, what the fuck was up with that dialogue? It was either weird exposition or people repeating some "funny" lines over and over again.

I completely agree with you all.Josey Wales is good,but really overrated.

I love Josey Wales, but its no contest here.