Scream vs. Jaws

6 comments

11 comments

Two of my three favorite scary movies. Bruce the Shark only loses to Michael Myers.

Mr. Ghostface and the teens of Woodsboro provide ample amount of laughs and scares, but few movies can top Jaws and Scream is not one of them.

I like my horror with knives and corny '90s talk.

Wes Craven... What is the appeal? He's dumb, but simultaneously too clever and self-conscious to have that idiot-savant factor like John Carpenter or something. Oh well. For me, _Halloween_ is when slashers got lame, so I'm just really fuckin' snobby or something.

How is this even worth debating? Jaw is one of the most classic films. Scream did well to put some substance back into horror films but it doesn't come close to Jaws in any sense.

*Worth* debating? I dunno. If we're talking about influence or a film's place in history, sure, Jaws wins. But we're talking about favorites. We're talking about nostalgia and fun and what tickles us and makes us giggle. I'm a '90s kid. I was born in '89 and I grew up watching slashers. Scream hit me at an age where I definitely shouldn't have been watching movies like it, but I was already pretty into its kind. It hit all the sweet spots and the whodunit factor was a blast. Now, I try to watch it every Halloween season at least once or twice. It isn't about "quality" or what I'm supposed to think. Scream's a fun movie and it's one I grew up watching. The name of the game here is, "Which one do you like more?" And Scream wins. For me, anyway.

Jaws for me but both are good.

Old 'Slashers' suck ass. Their insistence on being exclusively threat driven makes them tedious (yeah, yeah, exception to every rule... blah-di-fucking-blah... fuck you for even thinking to point that out). Give me humour. Give me fusion. Same dealio with the scary fish sub-genre too. Why ride (swim) in on threat alone when we can fuse the standard premise with sleaze, trash, tits, ass, frivolity, decapitation, campy humour and fun? No, Scream is (kinda) to stale 'Slashers' what Piranha is to... is to... er... 'Fishers?' But Jaws is still alright.

Good confrontation between these two. The first Scream was awesome. I remember when I first watched it in the 90's. At the time, I had never seen anything like it. To no fault of its own, it's too bad that Scream pioneered a sucky generation of teen slashers. As good as Scream was, I can't put it ahead of Jaws. Jaws is really the original blockbuster movie. Thus, it wins.

Loved the first Scream. But Jaws all the way.

Jaws wins. But I love Scream though. One of the best horror films ever.

Both in my top 20, but unlike Jaws, Scream is in my top 3. Scream wins!

Scream

Think Scream might win this matchup.

Scream is the reason I love horror movies and sits in my top 10.

People who think there is debate has no idea that Scream is s Classic as well and the winner here. I love Jaws and the better made movie. That's not the point of Flickchart. If you believe that's the point then your list is very boring.

Jaws, and this is not even a contest. It's far more enjoyable. But I love Scream as well.

Jaws>Scream

Scream is more entertaining with them twists, thrills and kills.

I think Jaws is really overrated and hasn't aged well, but it still barely edges Scream out

Jaws absolutely destroys Scream and I love Scream

Jaws will forever be in my number 1 spot.