The Departed vs. The Irishman

4 comments

0 comments

As great, dynamic and compelling as The Irishman was, I still felt like it lacked something. Also, it's too long for no reason. It really drags by the end. The Departed is riveting and also awesome from start to finish. One of the few American remakes that are worth a watch and that isn't offensive to it's original foreign movie. Fine acting in both of these, though. Pacino is worthy an award (although Brad Pitt is going to take it this year) and De Niro is simply awesome. On the other hand, we got DiCaprio, Damon and Nicholson in the same movie so yeah. Departed takes the match-up of powerful main trios.

ear
ear

The Departed packs more of a punch without the drag of the still brilliant The Irishman.

The Departed may be my favourite of all Scorsese's crime dramas. Mainly because was my the first Scorsese movie I ever watched and when I first saw it, everything felt fresh. I've enjoyed basically every Scorsese movie that I've seen in one way or another and these two movies are certainly very good. Irishman is very gripping and filled with great performances and insight but The Departed is still my preference!

Both of these movies are absolutely amazing to me. The Irishman was a powerful and reflective movie about our mortality and the consequences of our actions. It was about religion and it holds all the more meaning when you take into account how late into account Scorsese is in his life. It is 3.5 hours long yet I felt that it was only like 2 hours long. The Departed, on the other hand, is liquid energy. It might be his fastest paced movie, and might have the best editing in any of his movies barring Raging Bull. It's perfectly constructed, brilliantly and authentically written, gritty, nihilistic, and filled with powerful themes of identity, failing institutions, deception, ambition, the inevitability of death, etc. The Departed wins this one for me