Unforgiven vs. Once Upon a Time in the West

4 comments

8 comments

No comments. Two of the top 5 Westerns ever made and this is damn tough! Eastwood, Freeman, Hackmann and Harris have the edge.

I just wanted to point out that the global ranking for Unforgiven is currently 138 and Once Upon a Time in the West is 139.

I finally watched Unforgiven and I loved it. Top 5 westerns? Probably. Once Upon a Time in the West however is in my top 20 of all time. Also an update on the Global Rankings: Unforgiven= 139 OUATITW= 137

Unforgiven for me

Clint-less Leone or Clinted Clint? I've got a feeling that my age has something to do with my...uh, indifference (?) when it comes to Unforgiven. Old-timers can probably appreciate it more; it's a deconstruction of and kind of a bookend of the Western myth that Clint helped create. It's well-done stuff and I loved seeing ol' Gene do his thing. If there's one reason above any other to revisit that movie, it's watching Hackman be an absolute prick for a couple of hours. Love it. But in general, there's a disconnect between me and the movie, and unfortunately, it's just one of those things you can't help. Once Upon a Time's a deconstruction too, but Leone keeps his grandiose style and pushes it as far as it can go. I mean, just as an exercise in style alone, it's fantastic. And Leone's style always wins me over. Throw in Morricone's awesome fucking score and add some Bronson, and you got a deal. So, Once Upon a Time, no doubt. Blame it on my age. Or blame it on the vodka. Or blame it on the Henny.

Once Upon a Time....quite frankly Fonda is one of the greatest villains of all-time...

These are two of the greatest westerns ever made, no doubt about it. However, if I had to choose, my vote will always go to Fonda and the gang.

Once Upon a Time in the West. I liked Unforgiven but didn't love it.

The Unforgiven is a great film. The only slight nitpick I had with it however was that I couldn't help but feel a slightly hard to tolerate 90s vibe underneath the old west setting. I still really liked the film, but that being said, Once Upon a Time in the West is masterpiece of the genre and the significant western.

My top five westerns: 1. GBU; 2. OUATITW; 3. Tombstone; 4. Unforgiven; 5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Unforgiven is so much better.

The western is fast becoming my favorite genre.