Unforgiven vs. The Shawshank Redemption

8 comments

14 comments

on 6/27/2009

I'm starting to feel like I've ranked these movies based more on their critical and popular acclaim than on how much I actually like either one. I'm going Shawshank here, but I would much rather watch Harold

on 6/28/2009

I'm going with Shawshank here. I really enjoyed Unforgiven, but Shawshank touches me and gets me all emotional every time I see it.

on 7/2/2009

My favorite western but Shawshank is my No.1 all time favorite movie. Don't believe me check my top twenty.

on 7/20/2009

Shawshank Redemption isn't a bad movie but that it is so loved confuses me. It's entertaining and has a feel good ending and there's nothing at all wrong with that but there isn't much more to the movie than that. Unforgiven, on the other hand, is a deep and meditative film on violence and the legend of the Old West. It works on many different levels and should be a much more highly thought of film.

on 7/26/2009

I'm with you, Casey. The blind love to "Shawshank" counfounds me. It's an OK film, but it's very contrived and sentimental. And the way that Morgan Freeman has been typecast since makes this movie impossible for me to revisit without rolling my eyes constantly. On the other hand, "Unforgiven" is just more mature, refined and features a better Morgan Freeman role.

on 7/26/2009

I'm with you, Casey. The blind love to "Shawshank" confounds me. It's an OK film, but it's very contrived and sentimental. And the way that Morgan Freeman has been typecast since makes this movie impossible for me to revisit without rolling my eyes constantly. On the other hand, "Unforgiven" is just more mature, refined and features a better Morgan Freeman role.

on 1/2/2010

I hear what the "it's an OK film" crowd says, but you're all completely wrong (thanks, Filmspotting). SHAWSHANK is much more than a "feel good" movie (though it is). It has a good script, characters you care for even though you've seen them for minutes (Brooks) and great performances. As much as I like UNFORGIVEN, nothing can beat SHAWSHANK for me. IMHO, anyway. :)

on 2/12/2010

These are both movies I admire, rather than love. Westerns have never been my genre, but Unforgiven is a good one. Shawshank is a very well made and acted movie, but as far as Frank Darabont adapting Stephen King goes, I prefer both The Green Mile and The Mist. Again, both these movies are good, but neither cracks my Top 100. Shawshank is close, though.

on 2/4/2011

unforgiven

on 1/6/2013

I'm not really a western type of guy.

on 1/6/2013

Shawshank! Love Eastwood...but just never loved Unforgiven....

on 1/28/2013

I dont like unforgiven and i Will never do . Shawshank redemption is a better movie.

on 1/28/2013

Shawshank is just so good and such a perfect movie. Both of these are great but have to vote Shawshank.

on 9/2/2013

Shawshank but damn, its a great matchup...

on 9/6/2013

Shawshank wins, but Unforgiven is a great western.

on 4/11/2014

Shawshank

on 4/24/2014

Unforgiven is a better film

on 4/25/2014

Shawshank for sure. Was never a huge fan of Unforgiven.

on 7/31/2014

I Like 1992's Unforgiven And 1994's The Shawshank Redemption Is One Of My Favorite Films.

on 7/31/2014

"He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend." One of many awesome quotes that Unforgiven has that Shawshank does not. I doubt I could ever sit through Shawashank again unless I had absolutely nothing else to do.

on 7/31/2014

This is a Close Race But I would have to with...... The Unforgiven.

on 4/11/2015

Shawshank takes this one.

on 9/23/2016

This is a close one, but I have to go with Shawshank Redemption.

on 1/13/2019

Shawshank.