Unforgiven vs. Tombstone

5 comments

7 comments

What a shootout...

Unforgiven has some of my favorite lines from any movie, but Tombstone is the more rousing of the two. After a while, the counter-western philosophizing in Unforgiven does get on my nerves. Tombstone kind of deals with reluctant gunslinger characters like Unforgiven, but it come on strong with the sermonizing.

I meant to say "it DOESN'T come on strong with the sermonizing."

Last of the 20th century's great Westerns! Both are exceptional films but I'm going entertainment over grit and voting Tombstone because it was simply more fun to watch and rewatch. Plus, Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday is one of the greatest film characters of all-time.

One of the hardest chooses I had to make on this website...

Who the fuck is Pedro.M and why does he have my Silver Sable thumbnail? Ghosts in the machines? Gah. Tombstone is simple, fun and had an awesome character in Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday. Unforgiven had a great character in Gene Hackman's [insert name here] but I hated the ending. I remember little about the film but I do remember that I hated the ending. Anyway, now to quote some Ryan 'Ryu' Maginn: "I'm still fuckin' em brainless at the Holliday in, my Doc Holliday grin's a little too much for one so I'm prob'ly with twins!"

Both are great films but I'll take the good old romanticized version of the Western over Clint's grim reality film every time. Plus, Kilmer's Doc is one of the greatest movie characters of all-time.

Hm. I'm going with Unforgiven, simply because I think it's the better, less cliched, more original film, but Tombstone is a lot of fun though.

Tombstone by KO.

Unforgiven.

As good as Unforgiven is, Tombstone is just too much fun. One of the most quotable movies of all time.

I wonder how many bullets were fired in these two films Tombstone by a sliver cause of Val Kilmer's Doc

Tombstone is the film I could watch every day but Unforgiven is the better film.

Tombstone is the greatest western ever!

These are both amazing modern westerns. I found the plot in Tombstone slightly more interesting, given the fact that said story was all true. A tough choice, but I have to go with Tombstone. Val Kilmer was incredible in Tombstone. NO OSCAR NOD?!

No no no no no! Ok. It's a tie, because Unforgiven is a better movie, but Val's performance trumps all. Unforgiven by a nose. Boy do I have a tendency to speak too soon

Unforgiven stuck with me and is my favorite western. Tombstone is fun, but overrated. I'll admit it has some great performances, but it's not a film I'd watch again. Unforgiven for sure.