Religulous vs. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

3 comments

1 comments

Both have deep social messages disguized as laugh-out-comedy ,done in a way that only Sascha n' Maher could deliver through Larry's Lens. But i NEVER could not give this one to Borat,specially 'cause Sascha performance here is just pure golden. Golden globe to be exact.

Borat is a good film, but I need to be in a certain mood. Religulous is also good and it makes a strong case against religion, but it still comes off as preachy and often unnecessarily offensive (I say this as a tolerant atheist). The two do have a fair amount in common, and it shows in Larry Charles' direction, but I'd probably give the edge to Religulous here, partly because I prefer documentaries to comedies, and partly because Religulous has a point to it.

Ok, I'll rephrase; Borat does have a point to it, but I felt that Religulous' message, while more universally debated and more obvious, was more interesting and relevant.

Maher blows harder than most blowhard, but at least I agree with many of his obvious points. When a blowhard achieves infamy by raising obvious points you know there is something patently wrong and abjectly stupid about the society that created him. Borat is much, much funnier and should probably be considered more offensive than Religulous for showing stupidity in an unchecked form. Of course, neither are actually offensive. l get people feeling ashamed after watching them, but not offended.