The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers vs. Return of the Jedi

21 comments

12 comments

The Lord of the Rings > Star Wars. There's no getting around that.

absolutely agreed. kevin smith is ususally a funny man, but he's really wrong on this one.

Star Wars crushes LotR every time. Maybe if Jackson was more accurate to the books then those movies would rank higher. But even still, cmon.... we're talkin about Star Wars here.

Every movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy is better than Return of the Jedi. I'm not a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies, but Jedi just plain sucks.

JRM
JRM

LOTR >>> Star Wars. Especially in this comparison. It'll be closer if it's Return of the King VS Revenge of the Sith, but ROTK will still win.

Ooh, "just plain sucks" is harsh, kingofpain. But I have to admit, while it was my favorite movie as a kid, it's definitely lost its luster. (I blame Lucas dicking around the with the movies.)

ear
ear

Jedi was too juvenile so give me my Two Towers.

"Jedi" isn't perfect, but I still enjoy it after all these years. "The Two Towers" is easily my favorite of the LOTR features. A tough call.

My two favourite movies from each franchise. (Yeah, I'm in the minority here.) I absolutely love both series, but as The Two Towers is my favourite film of all time, and the LotR trilogy my favourite series of all time, it's an easy choice.

Indeed, you are in the minority, CeeTee. I don't really like either trilogy, with the exception of The Fellowship of the Ring and, to a lesser extent, The Empire Strikes Back, but these two are my least favorites of their respective trilogy. Difference between the two is, though, that while I found The Two Towers boring, I found Return of the Jedi unbearably bad in every respect.

I really loved RotJ but Im going with The Two Towers

Love both trilogies, but I've got to go with Two Towers here. My opinion: Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back > Lord of the Rings Trilogy > Return of the Jedi.

Jedi. Not a second thought...but when you grow up with something...it can be hard to let go...

Return of the Jedi. Two Towers was the second best LOTR and not as good as RotJ

Changed my mind. Return of the Jedi for now.

Return of the Jedi big time.

....it doesnt matter which Lotr movie it is...its better than Return of the Jedi

The weakest of each trilogy. Return of the Jedi is fun, but compared to Star Wars and Empire it falls short in almost every category. But instead of talking about the weakpoints of Jedi, what are Jedi's strengths? 1. The score. 2.The space battle. 3. Ian McDiarmid as the emperor, although I would've preferred a less cartoony, more mysterious and more sinister emperor of which we saw a small glimpse in (the ORIGINAL) Empire. That could've been amazing in my eyes. But whatever, Ian McDiarmid works well too. 4. The lightsaber battle. It felt the most emotional of all the lightsaber battles. 5. The special effects. But with all that said, Jedi still has a lot of weakpoints. The acting, the obvious recycling of both lines and ideas, the Ewoks and the poorly executed Leia-is-your-sister subplot. The Two Towers, while probably not as flawed as Return of the King, can be quite boring. I don’t care that much for both the scenes with the Ents and the scenes with the Rohan characters. And maybe this sounds weird, but I experienced the first third like a ‘point-and-click adventure’, which isn’t a good thing. And as in Return of the King, the Gimli (/ Legolas) humor felt forced. The battle scenes were very good though, and Andy Serkis as Smeagol was excellent. In the end, I think Two Towers is the better movie. It’s probably not as entertaining than Jedi, but it’s better executed, has a much better story and has better acting.

two towers is my least favourite of the LOTR movies

Return of The Jedi by a hair, it is my favorite Star Wars movie.

I'm a little surprised that this is so close. As someone who isn't really a big LOTR fan, I thought The Two Towers was an excellent movie. Return of the Jedi doesn't impress me much.

Return of the Jedi whilst a great film had Ewoks who are Lucas' worst creation next to Gungans. LOTR had Ents who actually had a back story and who ended up playing a major part in LOTR. Easy LOTR victory

Return of the Jedi anytime, and Emperor Palpatine is THE ONLY TRUE DARK LORD.

Very good matchup here! These two are my least favorite of their respective trilogies. That's no knock on them though. Still LOVE both. Just not more than the other installments in their trilogies. I love Star Wars, but for me, every LOTR beats every Star Wars. .ROTK > FOTR > TTT > ESB > ANH > ROTJ

Two towers is not even a real movie. Doesn't even have a beginning nor an ending

Lord of the Rings. Return of the Jedi has always been a bit of a letdown for me.

TTT hands down.

Jedi for me. Not a Two Towers fan.

Jedi

I give it to Return of the Jedi. The Two Towers is good but loses to the conclusion of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Jedi is the most film that gone one of the worst Star Wars completion for me, I may say the two towers is a bit less comparing, but for me Lord of the Rings is more influential than Star Wars for me.

Jedi is the most film that gone one of the worst Star Wars completion for me, I may say the two towers is a bit less comparing, but for me Lord of the Rings is more influential than Star Wars for me.

Just commenting to break the tie in favor of the second part of the superior trilogy.

Lord of the Rings is far better than every Star Wars franchise, Lord of the Rings is just more influential it is...

Lord of the Rings is far better than every Star Wars franchise, Lord of the Rings is just more influential it is...

ear
ear

Two Towers towers above.

These are my two favorite of each franchise as well. I am more Star Wars though so Jedi it is.