The Irishman vs. Avengers: Endgame

12 comments

15 comments

The Irishman. No contest.

The Irishman.

This one is generally tough. I prefer Scorsese and Irishman may be objectively a better film but Endgame was pure magic to watch- even for someone like me who isn't that big on Marvel

Scorsese is washed up and he knows it. It's why he lashes out at better blockbusters. Irishman is a Netflix trash dump.

Endgame was obviously a massive step down from Infinity War, and really only its grand spectacle keeps it nearer the upper-mid to upper proper echelons of comic book films, but Le Irishman is really just Marty doing what he's done a million times before, just with less bang per buck. It's all very anodyne and otiose. I mean, Pacino, De Niro, and Pesci are all still quite magnificent, but really only Marvel can get away with making the same movie 42069 times. Still, a significant step up from the masturbatory Catholic tranquilizer that is Silence. I suppose Endgame takes it in this match-up of disappointing capstones, but both films could have used someone at the helm who is/was more vested in coruscation and snazzy dialogue than year one screenplay theory and beat sheets.

The Irishman felt like a rehash of Scorsese's superior gangster films, and that runtime was just plain self-indulgent. I'm going with that Marvel Cinema goodness, baby.

I'm going with The Irishman, though it may be partly because I've only seen a few of Scorsese's movies and I'm pretty much burnt out on superhero movies at this point.

I’m going with endgame.

The Irishman is superior film. Endgame sucked donkey balls. get back to me when an MCU film tells a riveting story without its over-eliance with cgi explosions, tensionless fight scenes, simplistic drama and one dimensional characters.

Endgame by far

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This debate is gonna wind up reflecting badly on this community.

Endgame takes this nod.

I like the MCU, and I defend them as "cinema" but c'mon, this is not a fair fight. Maybe someday we'll see a Marvel movie with lifetime heavyweight Oscar winning actors delivering nuanced performances for three hours and nary an explosion in sight, but Endgame is not that film.

The Irishman is 1000 times better

Avengers is 1000 times better entertainment. Hell, it's even better written. Irishmen is for pretentious fake film fans who think they will be looked at as smarter because they favor a Scorsese movie. Newsflash, Scorsese belongs in an old age home and not behind a camera these days.

Avengers is far rewatchable mostly it is, the Irishman is overall good but never been much of the hyped as when goodfellas been the superior film in my experience.

Agree. Avengers is far more watchable. The Irishman is overall an overrated acting exercise performed by actors WAAAAY past their prime. There isn't even a story there for it to be called a complete movie.

ear
ear

The Irishman wins this.

Agree with everyone around the world that are saying Irishman is overrated waste made by terds past their prime.

I rank Endgame 80th out of the 84 films I've thus far seen that are over 3 hours.

Scorsese is washed up and needs to retire. Nuff Said.

Avengers: Endgame was my pick for the first half of the year while The Irishman ranks for the entire year.

Endgame was a satisfying conclusion to the MCU, but it had its flaws. The Irishman, while beimng a bit slow, had a better story, better characters and felt grounded. Neither of these films are the best of their franchise/filmography, but they still hold up pretty well. Endgame may be more rewatchable, bu overall The Irishman is a much better film.

Endgame was a satisfying conclusion to the MCU, but it had its flaws. The Irishman, while beimng a bit slow, had a better story, better characters and felt grounded. Neither of these films are the best of their franchise/filmography, but they still hold up pretty well. Endgame may be more rewatchable, bu overall The Irishman is a much better film.

Scorsese is a cranky old douche that has lost his mojo. Avengers may be over but oh what a run.

Any Scorsese films destroys the garbage also known as Endlame

The Irishman no contest. Endgame is a stupid superhero flick, made for the money. The Irishman is the best mob movie we've had since Goodfellas, and the best movie of the 21st century so far. Irishman destroys.

Avengers is an overrated, cliche commercial film, The Irishman is fine art.

What's that you say? Scorsese is washed up and he knows it? It's why he lashes out at better blockbusters? Irishman is a Netflix trash dump? Still true to this very day.

Two three hour long films that I really enjoyed and are among my upper tier favorites of 2019. Nevertheless, I felt that the Irishman was a bit too long in its first half, while for Endgame, while it may be more flawed, those 181 minutes (and 16 seconds) felt like 1.5 to 2 hours for me.

Endgame tumbles out of my top ten CBM the more I digest it. Still good but doesn't sit right. Better than Scorsese's misfire however.

irishman, as long as the movies are good, idc what the directors say

The Irishman is better in every way. Better characters, better story, and more tension throughout. The way Endgame undid the ending of Infinity War with time travel felt cheap. I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies, but I'll give it to Infinity War for at least having entertaining action scenes. Endgame had barely any action for the first 2 hours.