The Avengers vs. The Empire Strikes Back

17 comments

20 comments

Now this is a matchup I've been waiting for. I had to create it. The Avengers I think finishes off the classic Star Wars. Very close to me, because both are on an epic scale, blockbusters and will remain with people forever.

The Empire Strikes Back outdoes The Avengers on every level.

Empire wins here by far. It paved the way for films like Avengers.

Legendary match-up. I've read a lot of stuff calling Avengers this generation's Star Wars. To me Avengers played it perfectly because they did rely a bit on the five other films to flesh out each character. You don't have to have seen those films to enjoy Avengers but if you did, you more than care about each character. That's FAR more fleshed out then anything I've ever seen in Star Wars. The depth of this universe they set up is beyond anything from any other franchise because of this factor. That allowed Joss to play the action beats more but he still delivered intelligence and depth to each person.

Avengers is my second favorite superhero film of all time. I don't think it'll ever reach The Dark Knight's status unless you break it down to the box office number alone. Empire is, in my opinion, the greatest Star Wars film ever made. It's one of those really great sequels that's better than the original. Avengers is good, but it isn't the greatness that is Empire.

People are comparing these franchises all over the place and calling Avengers this era's biggest hit. Personally, Avengers did more for me than all six of the Star Wars films put together. Then again, Marvel has six films to match and certainly top them as well.

The classic hit vs. the new hit. More like the best Star Wars movie vs. the best superhero movie. Empire, by a mile

Avengers is truly an instant classic. Empire is a timeless classic. Yet, I'm more of a Marvel fan so...

Empire actually treated its threat with concern.

Ha your so right Square Vader is probably the most intimidating villian ever along with an army that he has. In Avengers they new they were gonna win and treated there enemy like nothing it was like a joke. Empire easlily wins this one

Avengers wins this one going away. Maybe it's the fact that we've seen Empire so much or the fact that the prequels all sucked the life out of the franchise but Avengers is the far better film and experience at this time.

The Empire Strikes Back.

Marvel fanboy mode engaged. If Spiderman was in it (Tobey Maguire) it would have been even more AWESOME.

The Avengers for me.

The Force is too much for Earth's greatest heroes....

Avengers IS a force all on its own. The Force gets forced out!

The Avengers is shit.

The Avengers and all recent superhero movies do little for me. Popcorn flicks; most are rather dumb. The Empire Strikes Back is in a whole other universe. Pun intended.

EMPIR STRIKES BACK any day of the week...And Avengers is still a top 20 film. I would rather watch ESB every day of the yr than watch Avengers...

Avengers is great, but Empire is LEGENDARY.

Empire easily.

Empire.

Empire is a classic!

Ok. This is where I believe that people begin to over exaggerate how good a film really is. I mean sure, The Avengers was cool and had great effects and all, but it doesn't even come close to Empire, c'mon people. Empire wins!

Avengers is no match for Empire. Star Wars is a classic Masterpiece, Avengers was just good not great.

Empire is easily better than The Avengers.

I like Avengers, but let's be honest here: Avengers is mindless fun... fluff if you will. There's a ton of style but not much substance. Lots of sizzle but only a bite or two of steak. On the other hand, Empire is a legendary classic. Sure, it's an interesting matchup because Avengers is so overrated by many, but not a very close matchup in terms of better movie.

Empire is awesome. It beats Avengers.

Like Empire isn't fluff. Like it's some seminal essay on the human condition. That shit is pure fluff. Give it a while and The Avengers will inevitable tumble down my chart the way Empire has, but it's newer and slicker... That life-cycle isn't tapering off just yet. If we're looking for "substance" than Empire and The Avengers can both go fuck themselves.

then*

Empire, yeah. But I LOVE both of them so much. Movies like new hope, life of pi and cuckoos stand in the way of avengers getting near empire

avengers is also a classic movie, or will be - So Back to the future, empire, avengers and raiders all fall into the same category. They are those movies I can watch over and over again. Back to the future being my most favorite, and then avengers following close behind.

Avengers is OVERRATED

Empire, no Contest.

Empire fairly easy.

Avengers is more fun. I've been a fan of Star Wars for about one month so I'm one of the only people who sees them for what they really are. Good movies yes, but not great.

This isn't a competition - it's a massacre. Empire destroys The Avengers.

I hope Marvel die in a fire. I hope it get shot and expire.

I prefer Avengers to anything Star Wars, even the best Star Wars of all. Marvel simply is more complex even though both are fun.

Avengers by far.

Avengers is this generation's Star Wars and Infinity War is Empire Strikes Back.

Empire stomps hard. Mismatch.

Empire by far. This wouldn’t be close if not a psychotic Marveltard with his marvel obsession would spam.

The Avengers was very fun, but ESB is a masterpiece and among the greatest films ever made.

ESB by a massive landslide, avengers is mindless fun that aged like cheese

I really like Avengers, but I could never understand how everyone treats it or the other MCU movies like the next godfather. For me Empire easily

Is this some kind of joke? Empire DRAWING with AVENGERS???? Star Wars wins by a massive landslide.