The Return of the Living Dead vs. Deliverance

1 comments

3 comments

The scariest thing about Deliverance is figuring out why a random hillbilly would rape Ned Beatty. Why would anybody? But seriously folks, Deliverance is kind of boring. The Return of the Living Dead is one of the best zombie flicks of all time and never ceases to amaze. I've seen Deliverance twice now, and there's simply no joy to be had in any of it. Except for the banjo scene. That boy shore can play.

Deliverance is solid flick that stands the test of time. Return of Living Dead doesn't hold up for me.

Deliverance is a gripping, suspenseful, well-made but grim thriller. ROTLD is a wild fun ride of a zombie flick that holds up well for an 80's film. Deliverance is definitely the better-made of the two, but may not be everyone's idea of a fun time at the movies.

Apples and oranges. As someone who tends to enjoy cheesy zombie movies though, I don't like Return. The script must have been written by an 11 year old. I can endure a bit of puerility, but Return is just too dumb. Deliverance is brilliant for what it is. It's pure 70s in its pacing; it builds up, builds up, builds up and pays off, like a movie should. Meaningful narrative arc > random wackiness.

I like random wackiness a little bit more.