Edward Scissorhands vs. A Nightmare on Elm Street

3 comments

9 comments

who's got the sharper claws, Freddy or Eddie?

Freddy vs. Eddy.

Sweet. Two movies with guys who have sharp appendages.

Two very different movies, but I love the match up. Let's see, Ed has the extra blades on his hands (having them on both hands), but Fred (not Freddie at this point) has the better fashion sense. Plus, "I'm your boyfriend now" is such a good line. Fred, you beat Johnny in the first movie, and you win here!

Freddy wins. For all the quirky touches and artistic integrity behind Edward Scissorhands, I think Wes Craven's spin on suburbia is much more interesting and accessible than Burton's vision. Scissorhands is a flawed piece of spectacular pop art. I drift back and forth on whether or not I like that Burton chose to make the neighborhood residents as overblown and stylized as Edward himself. I also do not enjoy that he chose to end his story in an all too familiar good vs. evil showdown. The rest of the movie is so weird and wonderful that I expected a more sublime ending. By contrast, A Nightmare on Elm Street is consistent in its ability to frighten and visually stun. Despite its budget, Craven never seems to compromise or shy away from taking risks.

Edward Scissorhands is great, but Nightmare is special. Edward is Burton's best movie, IMO

Nightmare on Elm Street wins.

Edward Scissorhands is my favorite Tim Burton film A Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite film of all time

Johnny Depp matchup. Scissors over claws, but close call.

I saw Nightmare for the first time just over a year ago and was shocked at how well it held up for an 80s horror movie. Edward Scissorhands is good, but I have to give the edge to Freddy on this matchup.

What do you prefer? Tim Burton's misfit who just wants to fit in or Wes Craven's horrifying child-killer seeking revenge? Both have creative visions but I much prefer Craven's twist on the slasher genre. A Nightmare on Elm Street, one of my favourite movies of all time.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the my favourite slashers; it's one of the movies that I yearly re-watch the most. Even that cheesy soundtrack actually pleases me! Scissorhands blew me away in a first watch, especially because I was younger, but it really lost me over time. Not a huge Burton fan here; but Beetlejuice is the one that's been growing on me.

What is it with Johnny Depp and blades for hands. I'd happily pick the feel-good hairdresser over the horny victim any time.