Licence to Kill vs. A View to a Kill

4 comments

1 comments

007 Dalton's "Kill" is vastly superior, as far as I'm concerned.

No doubt.

I actually really like A View to a Kill, but Licence to Kill is definitely better.

It's strange to me that audiences rejected Licence to Kill much more so than A View to a Kill. At least Licence to Kill TRIED to shake up the James Bond formula a bit, whereas A View to a Kill was about as tired and formulaic as a 007 film could get. Whatever. Licence to Kill is a barely average movie, but it gets points for effort. A View to a Kill is a rote piece of garbage that gets negative points for lack of effort. Timmy Dalton wins.

Yeah, Licence to Kill is mediocre at best, but it's still much better than A View to a Kill. Licence to Kill often gets overpraised for being darker and edgier, but ultimately, it sticks with the cliched Bond elements. It starts out different, but then quickly runs backs to the old and familiar. It still has wacky gadgets and Q has a bigger role than ever. I mean, what's the point of Bond going rogue if Q is around the corner to help him anyway? And I don't know, I find drug lords to be pretty uninteresting villains in Bond films. And the side characters (including Q) are completely pointless; they mostly hang around in Bonds hotel room and get told to go away. I don't know, despite its seemingly growing popularity, I just don't think it's very good. It's better than A View to a Kill, but then again most things in life are, really. It's better than Moonraker and Diamonds are Forever, I suppose.

License to Kill.

Can you really count either of these as “Bond films”? James Bond IS not supposed to be an action hero nor is he supposed to be an anti-hero going rogue. But overall, Bond has been inspired by whatever was popular at the time. In the early-mid 80s, the films were more lighthearted and they took inspiration from adventure films of the time. But in the late 80s when Stallone and Arnold were big, the Dalton films were more dark and Americanised. A View To A Kill, on the surface, defines 80s yuppie excitement. Everything from it's Duran Duran song to the casting Christopher Walker as the villain made it easy to see the VHS sitting next to one of the Karate Kid and it’s easier to see the poster lined up next to the lastest high school drama from John Hughes. Yet, there’s still aspects that define Bond, the spy genre and good entertaining storytelling that makes it more interesting than the latter. Also, it’s almost so bad it’s good which adds a lot to the film!

a view to a kill is among the best