Dark City vs. The Matrix

7 comments

6 comments

Arguably the same movie concept, equally solid productions, The Matrix is just so much cooler even in spite of its sequels..

I can't believe I'm the first person to get this match-up.. crazy..

I would have loved to be first on this one. But no, Dark City gets my vote. Love The Matrix, but it's a bit too polished for a dystopian future.

I don't think Dark City is as thorough in its use of allegory. It is a fabulous film but it lacks the screen jumping joie-de-vivre that The Matrix brought by the buttload. Sure DC is grittier in its approach but it ain't as fun. Oh, and The Matrix had a fuckin' bangin' soundtrack.

Dark City all the way. The matrix, as much as i like it, is just a glitzed up ripoff.

Dark City is clearly the better movie. More atmospheric, shot with pure passion for film making, darker, you name it. The Matrix was a high quality mainstream sci-fi flick, but it doesn't matches Blade Runner, Dark City or Minority Report, as the best sci-fi creations of the 80's, 90's and 00's.

Neo wins...

Dark City was the original and is the best of the two.

Dark City hardly gets the praise it deserves. It's so much better than The Matrix when it comes to tackling themes of existential awareness. The production design and cinematography are breathtaking, and I give it full marks for innovation and ambition. Sure, some of the effects haven't aged well but that isn't a major distraction (DC takes care of all that). An out-and-out masterpiece.

Oshii and Descartes pwn Sartre and Kafka.

Matrix took Dark City and added better special effects. Notwithstanding, Dark City's story and character development is still better. Plus, Dark City's characters are more likeable to me. So while Matrix is easier on the eyes, Dark City is the better movie. Dark City wins.

The Matrix is way better.

Both are amazing I don't want to choose but it looks like I'm going to have to I'll take Dark City I guess

Dark City

in many ways dark city is the better made film but i am more of an action guy.the matrix for me

Dark City's ending wasn't quite what I hoped for, but God, what a visually beautiful film, with far more interesting elements than The Matrix, in my opinion. And, in spite of the reams of fanboy neo-philosophy that the latter film inspired, I think its predecessor has more to say on the human condition.