Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace vs. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

21 comments

26 comments

Episode I is better than Episode II.

This is a tough decision but ultimately I would say Episode II is better because of the fact you see less Jar-Jar and a bad ass fight between Yoda and Count Douku (spelling).

Ep1 without doubt, i think ep1 was ok, but i really didnt like ep2

Both are pretty average, but an adult Anakin and less of Jar Jar make Episode II better than Episode I.

Both are pretty average, but an adult Anakin and less of Jar Jar make Episode II better than Episode I.

Darth Maul.

Wow. The duel of movies that betrayed my childhood. This is like ranking two cancers against each other... Sure there can be a better one, but in the end, it's still cancer. Episode I had the all the expectations and Jar Jar. Episode II had dashed expectations and Hayden Christensen. Results - Episode I by a hair.

You know, I like 'em both. CLONES is more entertaining overall, but the romance stuff hurts more than the bad comedy in MENACE. I think they are both under-appreciated by the fans... I mean, c'mon, the writing/acting has always sucked in this series. Let's admit this already. The classic trilogy was held together by Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness, the new one by Ewan McGregor and Christopher Lee, and all were written to be comprehensible by 8th graders.

Liam Neeson is enough to make Episode I better. Barely.

This is like choosing which arm to remove. I'm gonna go with Ep II. Amadala and her amazing disappearing costume.

Episode I pros: Liam Neeson, final duel Episode II pros: Christopher Lee, final duel, less Jar Jar Binks, CGI Yoda Episode II wins my vote.

Episode I is a series of meetings and uninteresting CG battles, made salvageable by Liam Neeson and the first spectacular lightsaber duel of the saga. Jake Lloyd makes it nearly unwatchable (through no fault of his own; that falls solely on George Lucas' shoulders). Episode II has a more comfortable-in-his-role Ewan McGregor, a bit of gravitas in Christopher Lee, more interesting battles (sorta), and a better end duel. I can, however, take or leave Whirling Ninja Yoda.

Despite the enormous flaws in Ep. 1, I think Ep. 2 only made matters worse.

Episode II was a disgrace for the whole series. Episode I was really lame, but tolerable.

JRM
JRM

These movies get so much exaggerated hate, I think. I don't think they're bad at all. Both were very entertaining. Maybe this is because I'm not really a die-hard Star Wars fan. Anyway, I think Attack of the Clones was better.

Oh dear, they're both pretty awful, aren't they? Episode I has Liam Neeson and the Duel of the Fates going for it, but then again, it also has Jar-Jar Binks. Both Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen are pretty awful as Anakin. In the end, I'm going to give this to Ep. I, because it's more fun, and because Ep. II has unquestionably the worst romantic dialogue ever written.

ear
ear

Less Jar Jar and no Jake Lloyd gives the edge to Attack of the Clones.

Protozoid is right: The Star Wars films are kiddie films, but very odd kiddie films, as they have dismemberment and incest thrown into the mix. Episode I has a lot of Jar Jar, but it also has Darth Maul and Liam Neeson (I love, love, love Duel of the Fates from John Williams), and Episode II has the absolute WORST dialogue of the entire series. The "romantic" scenes make my skin crawl every time. Yeah, it has Whirling Ninja Yoda (love that, herowrship1701), Christopher Lee, Jango Fett and that big Geonosis battle, but the craptastic dialogue just ruins it for me.

2 wins because Jake Lloyd isn't in it, basically for me.

Phantom Menace was better, mostly because of Liam Neeson.

Despite Phantom Menace being disappointing and responsible for crushing the hearts of many a Star Wars fan, people do often forget that it's still better than Episode II. As a complete picture its more satisfying, although the first 45 minutes of Episode II are really quite good. Phantom Menace wins!

It's really just because of the better looks of Yoda...

Attack of the Clones all the way, The Phantom is the ONLY bad Star Wars movie.

Darth. Maul.

I've never understood the hate for Jar-Jar. I always kind of liked him, myself. That's beside the point though- Episode 1 wins easily.

I totaly agree with you, Attack of the Clones is far better than that ridiculous Phantom Menace is (Phantom is the ONLY bad Star Wars movie).

It takes a lot of re-ranking and constant vigilance to make sure that Episode I forever remains last on the list.

I really didn't enjoy Episode I,but both Darth Maul & Liam Neeson were good memories on it. even JAR-JAR didn't bothered me much as ANAKIN & PADMÉ LOVE SCENES. GOD. That was the worst mix of terrible acting (most from hayden) and poor,despicable lines i ever saw on a Star Wars movie. I also love Christopher Lee, but i REALLY didn't like him at episode two. Well,i can go on and on. Phantom on this one.

I really didn't enjoy Episode I,but both Darth Maul & Liam Neeson were good memories on it. even JAR-JAR didn't bothered me much as ANAKIN & PADMÉ LOVE SCENES. GOD. That was the worst mix of terrible acting (most from hayden) and poor,despicable lines i ever saw on a Star Wars movie. I also love Christopher Lee, but i REALLY didn't like him at episode two. Well,i can go on and on. Phantom on this one.

Clones is one of the worst movies ever. Phantom is just bad for a Star Wars movie when held against, say, the original trilogy. Clones is one of the worst movies ever put on screen.

Attack of the Clones is the better film and more of an improvement than the first one.

Attack of the Clones. Just a total improvement over the first and more action. It really shows what the Star Wars saga is all about.

I thought the prequels were all mostly decent. None of them were awful, or even mediocre. Just decent. Attack of the Clones beats The Phantom Menace in my book, but only by a hair.

Both terrible but episode 2 was were star wars died.

I'll take Jar Jar and Midichlorians over the worst romance ever put on film and Yoda as a monkey with a saber. But oh boy is it close.

Godfather vs Godfather Part 2 ain't got nothing on this.

They're kinda cut from the same cloth, aren't they? It's really tempting to be the contrarian who waltzes in and says "they're not THAT bad", but ugh, man. Why did I see these? II almost has sort of a pulpy Flash Gordon vibe in places, but ultimately nothing is done with it. It's more "whatever" than actively annoying like I though. I dunno, who cares

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones wins because it doesn't have: Jake Lloyd's wretched performance, Queen Amidala's irritating fake accent, the story of Anakin Skywalker's immaculate conception, the introduction of the term "midi-chlorians", the expectation that I should care about the taxation of trade routes or whatever, the revelation that Anakin actually built C-3PO, and on and on and on. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is the nadir of the Star Wars franchise.

Attack of the Clones is easily by far the Worst Star Wars Film Ever. The Anakin and Padme Love scenes are dreadful and Painful to watch and the reason to make Yoda as CGI jumping monkey with a lightsaber is Dumb. The Phantom Menace on the other hand is alot better than Attack of the Clones because it had the Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Lightsaber duel at the end of Episode I.

Attack of the Clones has moments of greatness overshadowed by shitty dialogue, Phantom Menace has a moment of greatness overshadowed by a lot of shitty stuff. Episod II for me.

In my opinion, Attack of the Clones is a improvement over The Phantom Menace.

I Hated Jar Jar Binks so much because he ruined The Phantom Menace for me. So, Attack of the Clones, imo, is much better than The Phantom Menace.

Episode II is much better. It offers some great eye candy and CGI. Jake Lloyd can go fuck himself.

HELL NO! For me Phantom Menace is a masterpiece when compared with the even more atrocious Attack of the Clones. I mean, who like these prequels? Besides, I never thought there would be a worse SW movie even without Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar. Jake Llyod's Jar Jar is horrible but Hayden Christensen is just as bad if not worse for his role! UGH!

The Phantom Menace is better than Attack of the Clones.

The cinematography of Episode II is stunning, but what really makes the difference in this matchup is Jar-Jar Binks. This character was totally annoying and almost killed The Phantom Menace.

Episode II was more reminiscent of the Original Trilogy than Episode I was. But Qui Gon and Darth Maul were pretty cool characters. In the end though, I will still go with Attack of the Clones. The Geonosis arena scene was pretty cool.

Both are bad, but Phantom Menace is worse.

god their both really close in a bad form but I think I have to go with Phantom Menace on this one

I think Phantom Menace is a lot better than Attack of the Clones. AoTC is my least favorite Star Wars movie.

Phantom Menace is way better IMO.

Episode II is much more enjoyable.

Both are better than The Force Awakens and A New Hope...I have to give it to Attack of The Clones. The Battle Of Geonosis was a memorable film-making feat.

If you think these two movies are better than The Force Awakens, then you are obviously not a true Star Wars fan

Phantom Menace for more action and less forced romance

Phantom Menace was better, but Attack of the Clones was still good

The Phantom Menace wins. The Phantom Menace is a good movie. Attack of the Clones is a terrible movie. Jar Jar stepping in excrement is miles better than the best scenes in Attack of the Clones.

Attack of the Clones wins for sure. The Phantom Menace is awful. Nothing about it is good. Though Attack of the Clones isn't perfect, it still has good scenes and feels like a Star Wars film.

Aye, Episode I. II is my least favorite Gorge Lucas SW movie, but I still love it. Both are excellent, But Episode I has Qui-Gon Jinn, Pod racing, Duel of The Fates, Darth Maul, and I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but the politics really help build the world, and keep me interesting. Also Naboo is beautiful.

Honestly, I could see this round going to either film, but I barely prefer The Phantom Menace.

AOTC by a hair, both are ok

Both of these vastly underrated imo, but AotC wins for me.

Phantom Menace. Attack is underrated, but it was kind of boring in some parts.

Both massively underrated. Attack of the Clones, because it's the middle chapter, is probably the least satisfying overall of the six (there are only six) films but that is kind of the point as it is a story about the heroes playing a rigged game. It has some of the most pivotal moments in the series (the creation of the clone army, Anakin failing to save his mother) and it feels the most Lucas-y of any of the films, evoking old serials and pulp fiction sci-fi stories. Sure the dialogue is corny but that was always the case. The SW films are driven by visual storytelling first and foremost. I can understand why George's eclectic approach turns some people off, but I've really grown to appreciate it over the years. In any case, I do find TPM the more satisfying of the two and its probably the only film in the series other then the original that can be enjoyed on its own, without seeing the other movies.

Attack of the Clones is one of the most underrated movies ever. The Phantom Menace is one of the most disappointing movies ever.

Episode 2 because of Dooku

Attack of the clones I think takes it. The prequels aren’t shit obviously the ain’t as good as the originals but the sequels were fucking shit.

I'm sorry to criticize those who gave a lot of punctuation to that film. But for me, The Phantom Menace is better because Attack of the Clones had some moments that were too boring