The Rules of Attraction vs. Requiem for a Dream

0 comments

2 comments

Roger Avary’s The Rules of Attraction is a film I enjoy championing, because it rarely gets the credit it deserves – especially next to that other Bret Easton Ellis adaptation American Psycho. It’s great, wickedly funny, kind of alcoholic, and has some real teeth to it. If you haven’t seen it, you’d do well to check it out. Not that it’s better than Requiem for a Dream or anything, however. I saw Requiem early in my cinematic awakening, and it was a real eye-opener to me in terms of what was possible to achieve with directing and editing, not to ention the story that had me totally reeling. As an aside, it’s fun to note that the Victor segment of The Rules of Attraction owes a lot to Requiem’s hip hop montage editing style.

I agree with everything @Eshegnev said I really enjoy RULES too the young cast is amazing and the subject matter is great but still Requiem is on a whole other level in terms of direction and a tough subject matter that is done with majestic quality and precise timing that you feel like your in the trippy film at times!