The Cabin in the Woods vs. Trick 'r Treat

1 comments

1 comments

Both examples of excellent horror writing. I really liked Trick 'r Treat, but I have to go with The Cabin in the Woods. Why? Eh...Kristen Connolly's ass? I don't know.

"The scenario is to appease the "Ancient Ones" — beings who live beneath the facility and are kept in perpetual slumber through an annual, pars pro toto ritual sacrifice of five young people who embody certain archetypes: the Whore (Jules), the Athlete (Curt), the Scholar (Holden), the Fool (Marty), and the Virgin (Dana). The order in which they die does not matter, as long as the whore is first and the virgin is last, and her death is optional, as long as she suffers." Ummm... why? I mean, I know it's an overly abused formula in the horror genre, but to take those elements and actually make it a plot point makes no sense. Why do these gods need the Whore to die first? Why does the Virgin have to be last? Why is her death optional as long as she suffers either way? Why is the order of the other 3 optional? What if they all die simultaneously, do the anal retentive rulers of Hell put away the short levels they use on the 7 circles and step outside to get some air before their OCD spirals out of control? It just makes no sense to apply these tropes as a necessary plot elements. They just went one step too far in trying to be meta and just ended up being confusing and non-sensical.