Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vs. Finding Nemo

4 comments

6 comments

If you want to tell an adventure story about kidnapping, you don't make the moral of the story "Looking for a kidnapped child is a lot of fun." Pixar loses this one to Indy because he clearly was not having as much fun as Marlin.

Nemo wins, but against Last Crusade and Raiders it would be a different story.

Thanks to TravisSMcClain for articulating why I found Finding Nemo so awkward and unsettling. I'll go with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as well.

It's an adventure film and I think the notes of sorrow and regret that are played throughout the film are more than enough to keep the search in Finding Nemo from coming off as whimsical or fun. Fun and exciting for the audience, sure, and the more comical scenes between Marlin and Dori are meant to build the chemistry & relationship between the two. Those scenes are there, but what I'm saying is that the film is not without a solemn backbone and I thought it came through fine.

Just wondering, is it Dori who you attribute the perceived awkward/unsettling tone to? Or is it something else?

Nah, Dory wasn't the problem. The issue had more to do with Marlin's tone, behavior, voice, etc. He didn't strike me as distraught or anguished enough over his situation. Again, it made his quest a bit awkward to watch.

*to whom you attribute* Yeah I went there. But I came here to tell Nemo to fuck itself (and himself).

Finding Nemo, but agreed with JC13. Raiders and Crusade would blow it out of the water.

Temple of Doom though Nemo is fantastic!

Nemo