The King's Speech vs. Black Swan

3 comments

4 comments

Academy sweetharts clash....tough choice. I have all the respect for Natalie after watching n' adoring Black Swan, but Geoffrey/Helena & specially Firth were pure magic on this.

Shocking that this matchup has only just come up. The King's Speech is good, sentimental, heart-string tugging. Black Swan is thrilling, piercing, visceral. I pick that one that's the cinematic version of visiting an S&M club.

Stronger cast in TKS. TBS relies on Natalie for most of the acting weight, whereas TKS has one of the best casts I have seen in a movie in ages. Not to say that Mila Kunis, Barbara Herschey, Winona Ryder and co. were bad (quite the opposite), but I thought everyone in TKS played their part in with more dedication than I have seen in recent years. Plus I had more fun watching Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham-Carter than I did Natalie Portman.

Hmm, I have to go with The King's Speech here. The scene where Bertie breaks down in his wife's arms after having to ascend to the throne is better than anything in Black Swan.

The Kings Speech is more of an Academy sort of movie but Black Swan is far more gripping and intense for me. No comparison between these two on my chart. I believe Black Swan to be a masterpiece.

The King's Speech. Actually a close call for me.....but I can't say that I really love either...

The King's Speech is great, but Black Swan is more rewatchable. The King's speech has great acting, but that's about it. Black Swan is great on every level, from acting to sound design. It wins this matchup easily.

Neither should have won best picture, but I thought Black Swan was better