You Only Live Twice vs. On Her Majesty's Secret Service

3 comments

7 comments

Bondathon continues...: You Only Live Twice vs. On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I'm just gonna say it: On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a DAMN good Bond movie. If you ask me, I would say it is right up there with From Russia With Love and Goldfinger. It is very well directed, the acting is brilliant in places (Telly Savalas as Blofeld and Gabriele Ferzetti as Draco in particular), it has an unbelievably bleak and ballsy ending and almost all of the action sequences are pretty spectacular (if dated, but what did you expect from the 60s?). George Lazenby as Bond is...okay. No, he isn't better than Sean Connery (although he IS better than bored Sean Connery in You Only Live Twice), but he did a decent job. The only real problem I have with the movie is the length. 2 hours and 20 minutes for a BOND film? Fuck me. And I already thought Thunderball was too long. With that said though, this is a damn fine James Bond film that’s a lot less sillier than You Only Live Twice. YOLT is enjoyable, but it is without a doubt flawed. And I like OHMSS’s version of Blofeld better, actually. He doesn’t seem as pathetic or silly as in YOLT and doesn’t necessarily need his henchmen to do all the work. He’s just more menacing in OHMSS, and I like that. I mean yeah, the continuity with the previous film is completely screwed up, but I don’t care if the change is for the better, which it is. OHMSS wins; it’s just better in probably every way than YOLT.

My two favorite Bond films, I think I'll go for the one with the hot asian girls, ninjas, and the guy from Halloween as Blofield.

I'll give it to Lazenby....one of the few times...

I've always said that OHMSS would probably be the best Bond film if it had Connery or Moore instead of Lazenby. Even with Lazenby, it is among the best and beats You Only Live Twice, which is one of the lesser Bond flicks, easily.

Interesting match up. Connery was hands-down the better Bond, and while You Only Live Twice is a decent 007 flick; OHMSS is the better movie. Since this is about the film itself, and not the actor, I'd have to go with OHMSS on this one.

Both are great Bond films. Connery is no doubt the better Bond, but On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the better film. I agree with MysticSpoon, it has a ballsy ending and is by far the most emotional Bond film to date. Lazenby is decent, but then again replacing Connery is no easy task, so I can cut him some slack. Also, Tracy is one of the best Bond girls because she actually has a brain unlike some. Overall my only real problem with OHMSS is Lazenby, but he is pretty good so I don't mind to much, it gets the win here. I can't help but think though, if Connery had been in OHMSS it would probably be the best Bond film.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service does have a great ending, and its first 30 minutes are pretty great too. Unfortunately, everything else in between is yawn-inducing. You Only Live Twice isn't nearly as laborious, so I guess it wins.

OHMSS, and I don't even have to think about it.

OHMSS. I like both but OHMSS is classier, Lazenby does a better job than Connery did in the previous film at least, and the action scenes are better. One of my favorites. I actually wouldn't want to see anyone but Lazenby in this one. It's still one of the best with him.

Evil Asthma clinic versus Ninjas Vs. Astronauts in a Volcano.