Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb vs. 2001: A Space Odyssey

10 comments

27 comments

Only because it's funnier, sorry Dave

I have to pick '2001' because it really deepened my love of Science Fiction.

Two great reasons to love Kubrick, I refuse to pick out of hand, I'll let their ranks against other movies decide for me.

Apart from the director, these two films have nearly nothing in common. I'll take 2001, but they're both great Kubrick films.

Wow...the two greatest Kubrick movies. I have to give a slight edge to Strangelove, just because it is the greatest dark comedy ever.

See, I just am not as enamored with Dr. Strangelove as most. I liked it and was impressed by Peter Sellers' performance(s), but I cannot rank it nearly as high as most people are wont to do. 2001: A Space Odyssey, though, was one of the films to really kindle in me a love for science fiction. And Dr. Strangelove lacks that indelible image that will stick with me long after having seen it. Kong riding the bomb like a rodeo cowboy was memorable, but not as indelible as the HAL scenes of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

i discovered what a dark comedy was with strangelove.

Dr. Strangelove is hilarious, but it can't really compare with the mastery on display in 2001. On paper it's three different movies, with an indecipherable ending and emotionless characters, and yet I can't take my eyes off the screen for one second.

2001 maybe bigger and more extravagent then Strangelove, but it does get a bit boring after a while. don't get me wrong, THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME AND MUST BE ADORED, but after you've seen all the visuals and experienced it a lot of times like me, it tends to ware out. Strangelove on the other hand, might be the only movie i've ever seen that i don't think i'll ever be bored of it. Peter Sellers is genius. and so...

A showdown of Magnum Opus', Kubrick's two most legendary films of all time. Dr. Strangelove is perhaps one of the best dialogue films of all time, and yet that may be its undoing. As a film that is made by it's dialogue, certain jokes would lose there luster because in another language they wouldn't make sense, and thus have less of an impact on the audience. Such pleasures as a characters name (Demetri Kisov for example) would be lost in a translation or a dubbing. With 2001, the lack of dialogue throughout a majority of the film increases its universality: with less dialogue to focus on, the immense nature of this film can be appreciated anywhere in the world. So, almost obviously, 2001 A Space Odyssey is the better film.

2 masterpieces. I stand by my belief that 2001 is Kubrick's greatest achievement.

No question Dr. Strangelove is good but it doesn't compare to 2001 A Space Odyssey

2001 was more inspiring and awesome than Dr stangelove

Strangelove was great though

Gen. Turgidson will not allow a monolith gap! George C. Scott beats down 2001: A Space Odyssey.

You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company for that one, Caesar.

Both very artistic films by Kubrick. Though very boring at points, 2001 wins due to the interesting portrayal of story and symbolism

2001 smacks around Strangelove...

My favorite comedy of all time versus my favorite sci-fi of all time. That being said, 2001 wins. It's Kubrick's greatest work in my opinion.

"Dr. Strangelove" is one of my favourite films, but "2001" is the superior Kubrick film in my opinion.

2001. It's actually been a while since I've seen Strangelove, but 2001 made the bigger impression.

2001. It's actually been a while since I've seen Strangelove, but 2001 made the bigger impression.

I'm sorry Dave, but you just got your ass kicked by Dr. Strangelove.

My two favorite from Kubrick. But clearly, 2001 is his masterpiece.

2001 was the film that got me interested in movies as an art and not just entertainment,so l have to choose that.

2001:A Space Odyssey, Kubricks two greatest achievements.

Both are great movies but 2001 is Kubrick's best and in top 5 best films ever made and almost in my top 5 favorite films

The comedic genious may outclass the spectacle of 2001 in terms of entertainment yet 2001 has something about it which keeps you compelled. I will say Dr. Strangelove is my favorite movie for now.

My 2 favorite films from Kubrick! Strangelove is a top 25 for me while 2001 is a top 5.

Two Kubrick movies that I don't really enjoy all that much. I choose Dr. Strangelove, but not by much. Both need re-watches.

Two of Kubrick's masterpieces, it's a difficult choice but I'll go with 2001 just because of how innovative and ambitious it was for something that came out almost 50 years ago

Two best Kubrick films.

Dr. Strangelove >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2001

Strangelove is Kubrick's best

Two of Kubrick's best

While both of these are in my top 20, I don't believe it's close. Strangelove is one of the great comedies, but 2001 may be the greatest film ever made.

I love both, but 2001 wins.

Even though I like 2001, Strangelove is the greatest comedy of all-time, Kubrick's best and way better.

2001 is waaaaaaay too drawn out. Holy shit did it need so many establishing shots? No. Plus it's quite overrated. The themes it explores aren't all that original.

2001: A Space Odyssey is probably the greatest science-fiction film ever made. However, my personal preference is Dr. Strangelove.

2001 is one of the greatest films of all time. Strangelove did absolutely nothing for me.

STRANGELOVE BY A MILE

Holy shit, how dare they make me choose!

I love both and for different reasons. Dr Strangelove is strangely compelling and hilarious yet 2001 is a profound and life changing experience. It's a rare film where I viewed religion, humanity, evolution and science differently after watching. 2001 also gave me more of an appreciation for films designed to be artworks! Hell, its too impactful to even be considered to be a movie!

both are absolutely incredible, but 2001 is kubrick's masterpiece

2001 took me 3 viewings for me to actually understand it, whilst dr strangelove took one viewing, but 2001 is the film that got me into Kubrick so i'm going with 2001

I find it ironic to compare Kubrick's satire of our fascination with death against his vision of where we can go from where we are. One is a warning, the other is a beckoning. I think though, that since humanity has run to the call,but we have yet to take the warning seriously, it makes Strangelove the more poignant film and only adds to the absurdity that makes it so funny every day. Strangelove for me.

These are the 2 best Kubrick films (from his films that I have seen) but I gotta give it to Dr. Strangelove, even though 2001 is iconic and paved the way for some of the modern visual effects, AND is one of the greatest movies of all time, you just can't beat Peter Seller's triple roles and George C. Scott's face expressions, It's Strangelove for me.

2001: A Space Odyssey is definitely the better film, but Dr. Strangelove might be his second best. Probably the greatest political satire ever made, but even that can't top Kubrick's philosophical masterpiece