The Odyssey vs. Troy

1 comments

1 comments

Honestly, I can't say that the expensive blockbuster Troy is much better than The Odyssey, which was made for TV. And Armand Assante is actually a better Odysseus than Sean Bean as well. Sure, both movies don't have much in common besides that character and their setting in ancient Greece, but it's enough to draw a closer comparison. Troy was one of my highly anticipated movies back in 2004 and totally disappointed me (though it's not bad), while I didn't have particularly high expectations for The Odyssey back then, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Gotta go with The Odyssey because of that.

This is no contest for me. Like for CeeTee, Troy was an enormous disappointment, Brad Pitt's Achilles was actually worse than Farrell's Alexander the Great (even if the movie Alexander was even worse than Troy) in ruining a Greek hero. Bloom's Paris was lame (lamer than in the actually story of the Iliad, yes), and the 10 year epic war was trivialized to a (seemingly) two week siege that seemed to lose its importance with every passing scene. Bana as Hector and the portrayer of Ajax (even though they incorrectly killed him) were two of the bright spots, as well as Brian Cox (and I actually enjoyed Bean's Odysseus, though he was underutilized), but overall it's a complete bastardization. The Odyssey, on the other hand, with an obviously much smaller budget and, I would think, much more difficult material to adapt to the screen (I mean, Troy is basically another ancient period war movie, the Odyssey has many many more moving parts and more complexities to deal with), and yet the makers of the Odyssey managed to really pull it off. I actually had pretty high expectations for it (being a lover of classic epic poems, and this one in particular) and they more than met them. I couldn't have been happier with Assante, Rossillini, and the rest of the cast that I can't remember off-hand (Roberts and Williams are the only recognizable names I can recall atm) and the way they captured and enchanced the Odysseus and Athena of my imagination, and built upon that. The writers did a great job of picking and choosing the right material to keep and stay faithful to, and which to skip around, which would have been the most difficult aspect of putting this on screen I would think. I just can't say enough about how great the Odyssey was under more difficult circumstances, and how lame and lazy Troy was with a seemingly simpler task. Thank God Benioff seemed to learn his lesson before he got his hands on GoT. Odyssey easy