Alien vs. Aliens

122 comments

94 comments

Oh man...both films completely accomplish what they set out to do...I have to give it to ALIEN since ALIENS can't exist without it.

Aliens is the perfect blend of sci-fi and action - James Cameron is a master. Alien is the perfect blend of sci-fi and horror - one of Ridley Scott's finest works. A tough choice, and very debatable - but Aliens gets my nod. Multiple aliens, the Queen, the power loader - so many amazing sequences. It sits comfortably in my Top 20 of all time.

Aliens wins, and here's why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8cZH3b8fIo Game over, man.

Now this here is what separates the men from the boys!

They mostly come at night...mostly.

The Atmosphere in and introduction to the story in Alien is much better then the action that dominates Aliens.

I agree with all the comments, especially Zampa's, but the original gets the vote from me. Only by a few eyelashes, but ALIEN wins.

Zampa defined the movies already, and I'm more a fan of action than horror. So Aliens it is.

I think both are really good, but I personally prefer Aliens. It's just so much more enjoyable of an experience. Alien is great, but not nearly as accessable.

Alien is one of the greatest TRUE science fictions of our time. Ridley Scott as far as scifi is concerned is a god.

It's Alien and you know it. It is a better movie from beginning to end and anyone who can not recognize that should just stop watching movies all together.

This is near impossible to decide! It's a harder choice than Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back. But Aliens wins by a hair because theirs more action with just as much suspense as the original.

The choice here is easy for me. Alien wins no contest. I certainly love Aliens and when I was younger I found Alien too boring and thus Aliens was the better film for me. Now though there is no question that Alien is the better film. The atmosphere, pacing, acting, and everything about it are just perfect (in the theatrical version at least). Aliens is a great movie too, but to me it is now the more boring of the two films as I feel it drags a little in the beginning and is a more cheesy film than the first. Still a bad ass idea and a really cool film. Alien is the winner no contest for me though.

If I had to choose I would go with Cameron since in many ways T2, The Abyss, and even Titanic would not have existed without Aliens. There is a definite progression there. Ridley on the other hand had - and still does have - the chops to do Blade Runner, Gladiator, Thelma and Louise, etc. Not terribly consistent, but a damn fine craftsman. Cameron on the other hand, was, and still is, more interested in pushing his craft, going further, re-defining and pushing the envelope of what he can do. Say what you will about Cameron but he will never be caught slumming and do a Hannibal .

Alien totally gets my vote. It has such a great horror atmosphere. Aliens is a really good action movie but hands down, Alien is the better movie.

Well, both films are masterpieces for completely different reasons. Alot of people confuse the two films in what they do so well. One is a cut-throat horror film, while the other is a mixture of horror and action that ultimately gives us a thrill ride like no other. Personally, Aliens has always held a higher place in my heart, but that doesn't diminish the accomplishment of Alien at all.

alien. no contest.

Close one. Depends on what mood i'm in. At this moment... Alien!

i love both films but if i had to choose id pick alien, originals are always the best

Aliens rules.

I have flip-flopped on this matchup quite a few times since 1986. For several years, in my teens and 20's, Aliens won out. But in recent years, I have come back to the Alien side, for a couple of reasons that others may not find particularly valid. 1) Although the Alien Queen is cool, I don't like the way Aliens discards the original concept for the alien's lifecycle. One of the most horrific scenes in Alien is one that was cut from the theatrical print, and is only available as a deleted scene on the DVD - Ripley's discovery of a cocooned Dallas (I knew about this scene well before the disc because I'd read the novelization). But the advent of the queen, which creates the eggs, there is no reason for this scene to exist any longer . 2) the Aliens director's cut - while it does have some cool scenes, there are others that just don't seem necessary - like one of Hudson's bravado speeches before the Marines land, which should have stayed out. These are fairly minor quibbles I guess, and if we're judging strictly theatrical prints, I'm not sure which movie would win out, honestly. But Alien was the first real "adult" film I ever saw, and to me, it's as impactful a moviegoing experience as any I've ever had. It took me awhile to get over the terror, but once I did, I loved the movie - the set design, the score, the acting. Brilliant and trailblazing. I still love Aliens, but have to go with Alien as the better film.

I had to go with Aliens. While I admire the first, I both admire and enjoy the second.

Both are great and unforgettable, and yet very different. But I'm in Aliens camp (or Cameron:). It had better characters (and even more likeable Ripley) and so many absolutely amazing scenes.

What I love about Aliens is that it's a sequel that isn't 'more of the same'. It takes familiar characters and locations, but then changes the them entirely. Both movies are well done, and I think it basically depends if you're looking for horror or action. I prefer action, so I prefer to watch Aliens. In no way does that mean I don't love Alien as well!

I'll go with the more horror-based first film.

Saturn 3!

This is definately more of an apples-and-oranges comparison that you get from most franchise pictures. I'm going with "Alien", just because I dig on that atmosphere and I can watch it over and over again. "Aliens" is one of the great, great action movies ever, but it's just too exhausting to watch constantly. It also doesn't stand up quite as well, technically, to scrutiny.

Aliens has far better action and the lack of dialogue towards the end of Alien actually bored me.

It's Aliens because Bill Paxton is a god. Nuff said.

Alien by a nose. They're both terrific, but you have to love the way that Alien piles on the dread until it's so tense your chest might explode (har har). Aliens is as intense and exciting as the first, and has great action and spectacle, but I'd say the human story and the delicious stuff between Ripley and that darned robot barely edge out the second film, that and the introduction of the creature and it's mythology, including the holy-crap-is-this-actually-happening chest bursting scene.

It's a no-brainer for me. Alien is the better film.

Alien is the better film.

Another case of the sequel being better then the original.

Aliens is the best sequel to a movie ever! Alien is the sci-fi horror film! There is no way to decide between the two other than which gave me my first nightmares.....so Aliens wins that one.

Aliens was one of my favorites from the 80's. But the true measure for sci-fi horror has to be Alien. I give it the edge...only slightly.

I'm going to have to give it up to Alien. Although James Cameron's direction was masterful, Ridley Scott was just too good at building suspense.

the alien bursting from john hurt's chest is a shocker for the ages, something lacking in cameron's. BUT cameron's aliens is more fluid and epic.... I feel like in sophie's choice.....

oh the sweet agony! both exquisitely crafted, but the sheer visceral thrill of hearing Ripley utter "Get away from her, you BITCH!" is enough to tip the scales to ALIENS..but I could easily feel different tomorrow

i couldn't live without seeing Ripley flaming up the Queen's chamber. it's one of the greatest moments in film. Aliens for me!

As an action fan, goin' w/ ALIENS....Love it, unfucwittable

Both great movies. But the atmosphere of Alien edges it...

I'll admit, Alien is the better film. But I gotta go with Aliens.

Aliens! It's the best in the series anyway.

I'll be damned. I didn't even know that there're two different versions.

I'll never forget the first time I taped Alien off TV, as a young teenager, and then watched it while I had the house to myself. One of the reasons I love movies as much as I do now.

Have to give it to Aliens, but both are classics. The one liners in Aliens tips it for me. "Express elevator to Hell, going down!"

Alien. a Sci Fi masterpiece. a singular creature is always more terrifying then multiples.

Both are GREAT movies, but I have to give a slight edge to Aliens.

I love the Aliens Saga. Even so, 3 wassn't as good. 4 is, in my opinion, better than 1, and Alien 2, or ALIENS, is, probably, one of the best action movies of all time.

A huge advantage ALIEN has over ALIENS is that ALIEN is timeless. There isn't much about the production design, costumes, or hair that plants it firmly in the late 70's--certainly not in the same way that Paul Reiser's suits date ALIENS, rooting it firmly in the mid-1980's.

I will give the edge (slightly) to Aliens, however you just have to love the reactions Scott got from the actors in Alien when the alien first burst out of the guy's chest. Not telling the actors what was going to was a stroke of genius.

First off, I think it's great that they switched genres; brilliant way to keep the franchise fresh especially with the horror genres legendary diminishing returns in sequels. That said, I'm a horror-man so I'm going for Alien (I also think Aliens is also a little too long, but then I DID see a director's cut)

They're both fine films, but if i could only choose one, it would be Alien. -1 Aliens features Paul Resier from My Two Dads.

Both are masterpieces. The chest-bursting scene in "Alien" stands as one of the greatest scenes ever filmed. But, like others who prefer "Aliens", I prefer the action to the horror. I'm not big on horror movies; "Alien" is certainly the best horror film ever made, and as close as I get to loving the genre, but give me the action any day.

If you like subtle horror go with Alien. If you like a monster onslaught go with Aliens.

I love both so much, but I've watched Alien more, and that was my tiebreaker.

Aliens because of Paxton. Alien was very suspenseful, but Paxton was awesome in this movie and gives it the edge over Alien.

I prefer the suspense and horror aspects of Alien, though there's a lot to like about Aliens.

I thought Alien was scarier. And, at the time, shocking.

Ridley Does aliens have a scene where the fukin thing pops out from the stomach i thought so

not to mention the blue lights flashing in Alien were outstanding

I feel that Alien was a setup. This movie was about Ripley learning about the alien and we learn about her and the alien. Aliens changed the tone. It was all out crazy cool action sequences. The original part was after they gotten over the initial shock. Everybody did there job and didnt act like a group of idiotic teens, The acting is above par, the little girl cute but not annoying, and did i mention the kick ass action seens. And the biggest reason of all: Lance Henrickson, He could do the worst movies ever and Id watch every one contently

It had to happen sooner or later. It's Aliens for me.

@Riehlthing: That's interesting. Paxton is the one reason I might vote AGAINST Aliens. Something for everyone, eh?

I have to give it to Aliens, one of the few sequels to better the original.

Aliens is my favorite movie of all time. This was made in the time right before Hollywood started killing off movies with CGI. There is nothing CG here in this entire movie and it still holds it's own ground today. It also has a great story and it is one of the few sequels that are superior to the original and does it right. James Cameron practically invented spaces marines and the powerloader suits that the Directors of the Matrix movies copied.

@PhotoshopKid: That's also something I love (about both movies, actually): They still hold up in all their pre-CGI glory. The computers in Alien totally age the thing, but Aliens still almost looks like it could have been made today. Incredible filmmaking.

Aliens is definitly the better one because it has more aliens more action and more Sigourney Weaver. Plus all that action is awesome along with the Queen alien

The conventional wisdom seems to be Alien, but Aliens will always be my fav. It's a tense, unrelenting experience that takes us deeper into the Ripley character. I deeply admire the first film and it's visual achievements, but it just doesn't engage me the same way on multiple viewings.

Aliens

Aliens was an overall more effective and satisfying film IMO.

I change my mind on this match up on a daily basis - it just depends what I'm up for. The original has a classic element that Aliens doesn't quite match, but Aliens is more fun. I can't give my ultimate opinion because my vote will change on a semi-regular basis.

So close... but I choose Alien. The character development is really important as the stakes keep ratcheting up. By the time Ripley outsmarts the alien it is clear that her strength and wits will put her on top in a rematch/sequel/string of sequels.

The Alien series of movies is my favorite of all time. I have the DVD Box Set and if they ever release it on blu-ray I will be for sure picking that up. You can't really compare the 2 movies and rate one better then the other, Alien started the whole thing, but Aliens was not any less of a movie. Awesome movies!!!!

aliens was one one the first times i got to rent a video that i was to young to be watching and i remember being mesmerised by it. i didnt know it was a sequal until years later so i have the feeling that yet again i'm voting with my heart and not my head. i think its wrong, by the way, to say that alien has all the atmosphere. in aliens they were making whole planets worth of the stuff out of those big towers!

aliens was one one the first times i got to rent a video that i was to young to be watching and i remember being mesmerised by it. i didnt know it was a sequal until years later so i have the feeling that yet again i'm voting with my heart and not my head. i think its wrong, by the way, to say that alien has all the atmosphere. in aliens they were making whole planets worth of the stuff out of those big towers!

Alien is sparse and psychological, focusing on the descent of one character from camaraderie into loneliness. The tone is taught and perfect. Because it doesn't rely on special effects at its core, it stands the test of time and repeated viewings. Aliens, on the other hand, comes with a slight touch of cheese. The weaponry employed by the Marines is laughably huge and unwieldy. Some of the characters are little more than Hollywood stereotypes - tough chick, check. Strong but sensitive leading man, check. The ending is a little too happy.

The first hour of Aliens, I could do without. It is there that the cheese factor samjerky mentions is strongest. After that, it all takes a backseat to effective action, gladly. And its humor, rather hit-or-miss in the first hour, regularly shines in the rest of the film. Alien was effective sci-fi horror, but never struck me as anything more than that.

Im going to give the nod to Aliens, mostly because I saw it first. After Aliens had me hooked, I went back and watched Alien. I really like Aliens, but I LOVE Aliens. That being said, any time I see either movie on TV, I have to stop and watch.

I mostly prefer Aliens... mostly...

Alien is great, no doubt about it, But Aliens is in my top 10 of all time, whereas Alien is more like around 50 or so. Aliens gets my pick as possibly the most intense movie I've ever seen. Once it gets rolling, it's absolutely relentless.

It's gotta be Aliens. The film just keeps amping up and up, from aliens in the air ducts, to Newt getting kidnapped, to her rescue, to the escape from the queen and destruction of the planet, then finally, the power loader fight. Best. Action. Ever.

I think Alien is the better film, i think Aliens is good but i bit overrated.

I think Alien is the better film, i think Aliens is good but a bit overrated.

Wow...is there really any question? I mean, Aliens was kind of fun, in a testosterone-riddled roller coaster amped up kind of way, but between James Cameron's insipid dialogue, one dimensional characters and reliance solely upon special effects, it is destined to remain dated and quaint as action films get bigger, faster and louder. Alien, on the other hand, was a truly inspired, terrifying, atmospheric monster movie treading on the outskirts of hell. As opposed to Aliens - where I honestly cannot recall a single scene - so many scenes in Alien are vividly seared into my cerebral cortex: the eerie, vulvic spaceship by Geiger, the robotic malfunction of Ian Helms, the mouth-within-a-mouth of the alien, and of course, the chest bursting scene. These are the things of nightmares; Aliens only has scenes that are the things of Universal Studios rides.

Aliens is very well made, entertaining and well paced. However I like to be scared and Alien really does it for me.

Aliens is awesome, and, generally, has a better story and stronger character development, but Alien has Harry Dean Stanton and aliens that don't know how to use elevators.

Aliens is better more epic better special effects and a better story

For those ridiculing Aliens for being cheesy and having way too many stereotypes: remember that this is where those stereotypes come from. Aliens is the movie that set standards that others have followed, which is why they're now clichés.

aliens is the better from the movies, GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER

For me this is an example of the raw vs. the polished. Aliens is the more polished film and I think offered a greater step forward for science fiction films than the original. However, it could never have taken that step without the first movie to build from. A sequel can have some advantages in terms of being able to jump right into the action so to speak. I love both films, but then I think of the other accomplishments of the films' creators and that brings to mind Titanic, which sucked so badly that James Cameron's other films are forced to feel the ripple effects. Alien wins the tiebreaker.

Aliens is a more enjoyable and memorable film to me. The queen alien just pushes it over the top.

This is sooo difficult! But I think I'd have to go with Alien. For me, it just clinches it because it's where the saga began and Aliens is a bit too 'actiony'.

This is a very tough one. One a perfect horror in space whilst the other a perfect shoot em up horror in space (how many video games has Aliens inspired?) I will go with Aliens but they are so close it is a tough call.

ear
ear

Alien has more suspense but Aliens is a fine follow up.

This is an impossible choice. Today I'm going with Alien. If you ask me again tomorrow I might go the other way.

I agree with kpnuts. One is an excellant thriller, the other, a great action movie. Action movies can be a dime a dozen though and true thrillers are much harder. I'll go with Alien, taking nothing away from Aliens.

WOW! Both these movies are really good! Alien is more of a scary film because of the alien is stuck on the ship and everyone is getting killed off one by one. The funny part is that the cat Jones and Ripely are the only two survivors! But Aliens introduces Ripely to a new and more advanced world. She befriends a young girl "Newt" who's parents were killed by the aliens that have infested the planet. I my opinion I would go for Aliens because it was more of an action adventure SciFi film. And Ripely's epic battle with the queen Alien on the ship with the cool loading suit was the best scene by far.

While both films are amazing, to me I have to go with Alien. It's a good blend of the horror and science fiction genres, while I feel like Aliens, while a really good science fiction/action movie,has a more standard plot and predictability. Alien benefits from a slow, suspenseful pacing that increases the drama and tension of the film as it progresses. And I know that 'Nardinatur911' (who I saw both of these movies with), is just uncomfortable with anything even remotely like horror, so he goes for the action film instead. But it is hard to argue against movies with Jones the cat, woMAN, and head smoke spacesuits. Now if only Alien 3 had been good, too.

I really liked both. I watched them both today, so I have them really still fresh on my mind. I have to say, Aliens kept me literally on the edge of my seat. In the end, I think I preferred Alien. Maybe what sets the difference is the seen at the end of Aliens in which the Aliens retreat and don't attack Sigourney Weaver because she threatens the eggs... I hated that seen. Apart from that love the film. But as I just said, in the end, Alien wins for me.

I'm more of a horror guy, than action, and Alien is in essence a thriller/slasher movie. Very tense, and you can't just "run out of the house" to get away. There's nowhere to go

I take the supenseful and claustrophobic Alien over the straight up action film.

Got to go with Aliens for the pure thrill of it.

This might be the toughest matchup of any series (even more-so than Godfather Part I/Part II, and I never found Star Wars or Jedi to be near the league that Empire is in). I can remember as a little kid catching pieces of both Alien and Aliens on TV and not understanding they were separate films until my teenage years. I was probably 14 or 15 when my dad and I rented all four Alien films and had a marathon. First, the cast of each film is awesome (Skerritt/Holm/Hurt in Alien and Biehn/Paxton/Reiser/Henrikssen in Aliens). Secondly, each film lives up to what it sets out to be: one, a sci fi horror and the other a sci-fi action film. I try in my mind to separate these films and pick one and this leads me to make an instinctive decision: -as much as I loved each of these movies for everything about them, only one scene had me standing up out of my seat yelling at the TV: Tom Skerritt in the duct/ventilation during Alien. -it's much rarer for me to enjoy a horror/thriller than it is an action movie. So Alien performing so well in my book means it has the edge over Aliens.

Everybody stay frosty!

Alien is a good sci fi Horror movie. Aliens is a good Sci fi Action movie. I love Action more than Horror so 'Aliens' for me!

Alien is so far ahead of Aliens (oh no, not another marines vs unbeatable odds movie) that I would rather watch, and I am proud to admit it, Alien 3 than Aliens. It's a great film, but a bit generic for my taste.

The choice is obvious. In Aliens they kill of a queen and a whole army of Aliens. Not to forget wiping out a huge colony of eggs as well (All accomplished meanwhile carrying a girl in her arms). In Alien, one Alien takes out almost the whole crew. Come on!

Aliens is better. It expanded the universe and intruduced some great characters, and is less sci fi horror and relied more on the atosphere that it created

Well spoken trylobyte, my thoughts exactly.

I had argued for years that Alien is the better film with a mate of mine, so he joined me and a few other friends in the seeing them together. We watched both films in a packed theatre, some people noticeably having never seen either film. During Alien the audience was gripped to there seat unable to contain there genuine fear of the Alien. A 15 minute intermission then Aliens was up. After the first introduction of the grunts the whole cinema irrupts in laughter for the remainder of the film. Not one audience member was scared during the screening. So after the film finished i turned to my mate and asked him to rank all 4 Alien films in order of his personal preference. He said Alien, Alien3, Aliens then Resurrection. We both now agree.

Currently 59 for Alien vs. 52 for Aliens. I'm gonna make it 60. Both are great SciFi thrillers, but how many sequels are better than the original?

You can't go wrong with either film. I'm going to go with Aliens though.

The debate between these movies comes down to whether you are looking for suspense or for action. Alien is the better suspense film, and when it was re-released in theaters several years back, I was reminded just how quiet that film is. It is one of the premier edge-of-your-seat movies of all time. Aliens smartly knew it couldn't top the original's atmosphere and used the adrenaline button to fill the gap. For my money, great suspense beats great action every time.

Well, Both are great and epic films of their time...But i would have to pick Aliens. Now with all due respect Alien started the whole thing and thus Aliens wouldnt exist without it. Alien was a great film, for si-fi suspense horror, While Aliens was a great follow up with more action than the previous. I love Alien, but still for some reason i do feel its quite slow and takes a while to get rooling, and i know thats how "suspense" works but it just took far too long for myself personnely and i like movies that take their time to build but Alien i felt took to long. Even if the action in Aliens was cut in half i think i would still like it better that Alien, Def the best 2 movies out of the franchise and both are amazingly done, just in different aspects.

Both are great and deserve high praise, but I prefer the suspense/horror aspects of Alien over the action/horror aspects of Aliens.

Probably the toughest call yet for me, but "Alien" seems to have aged better than "Aliens," so I'll give it the slightest edge. Both are absolutely classic, though, and will probably drop out of my top 20.

There can only be one winner & when it comes to H.R. Giger's creation less is definitely more. I like Aliens as an action movie, it's great - but I was never a fan of the way James Cameron snatched the baby of O'Bannon, Giger & Scott & twisted it into becoming nothing but a glorious, gooey acid-filled explosion in his space-marine movie. But yeah, a fantastic action movie. Cameron created a great space action film but is it really the sequel the first movie deserved? Have a look at the limited power of Alien³, Resurrection, etc & compare these films to Alien, ask yourself what these movies would have done differently if the Alien hadn't already been turned into cannon fodder by a film-maker with no regard but for his own little sci-fi gun movie. As great as an action movie as it is...

Oh man, game over man, game over. If it had to, Aliens could stand on its own as being a separate film without Alien. It is also better than Alien.

Hudsooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!

Aliens! I really care about the characters in Aliens, cheering them on or hurting for them, while the only characters in Alien I can stand at all are Ripley and the cat. (I like Ripley much better in Aliens as well.)

Alien! It is scarier and had the better scenes, actors, and dialogue in my opinion. Aliens is a great film don't get me wrong i just prefer Alien.

no way what are all of u thiking aliens is way better look i get it alien came first i get that and alien was made on a lower budget and is more to do with the fear and less to do about the monsters but come on the action is so much better in the 2nd one and the dialog and acting and story line is just as good in bolth movies i know there 2 different directors but aside from the action they are very similar movies i know 2001 is a great movie but i want to watch the matrix over and over agin cause of the action i know alien is a great movie but i want to watch aliens over and over agian cause of the action be hosnest i bet all of u have seen matrix alot more times then 2001 and i bet alot of u have seen aliens more then alien

I prefer Alien, mainly because I think the acting in it is all AAA, whereas the acting in Aliens is pretty good, but not up to par. The tension in Alien was also built much more carefully, but both movies are arguable.

Alien impressed me more then Aliens, even though both are 5 star flicks in my opinion. While Aliens as an action movie is impressive, Alien as a horror movie is one of the only films that truely scared me.

Alien at the time was one of the best horror movies, but now I think it doesn't have that scary horror magic, meanwhile Aliens is more of a action/thrill movie + that horror that Alien had, so the winner will be ALIENS

Alien at the time was one of the best horror movies, but now I think it doesn't have that scary horror magic, meanwhile Aliens is more of a action/thrill movie + that horror that Alien had, so the winner will be ALIENS

Tough call, probably the toughest I had to make on Flickchart so far. Alien vs Aliens is somewhat similar to The Terminator vs Terminator II. I mean, Alien is primarily a horror/sci-fi movie, and less an action one, while Aliens is, simply put, one of the most entertaining and solid films I've ever seen in my life. I think they are about the same quality and is more like a question of taste whether you go for one, or the other. Alien has a tense and frightening as hell atmosphere, while Aliens mainly consists of perfect action sequences masterly combined with horror/sci-fi elements. It is definitely more re-watchable than Alien and certainly more diversely configured.

Original, for me. I never suspected *** to be a ******. But, who did?

Usually more is better, but not in this case. Ridley's Alien is victorious.

Uggh . . . such a tough choice . . . my brain is about to explode (or is it my chest?).

Aliens is such a classic. Huge admiration for Sigourney Weaver, whose Ripley is one of the best movie characters of all time. I prefer the more action-oriented Aliens over the horror of Alien. Aliens also seems to be shown on TV a lot more for some reason.

Cmon. Aliens was far more entertaining. It took Alien a while to take off. Aliens just takes off 10 minutes into it.

Aliens. I hated the 'fake' jumpscares in Alien, and it was ultimately too slow for me. Aliens is an exciting action movie, even if it has some 'fake' jumpscares too. However the build-ups to those are much shorter if I remember correctly, which is a plus in my book.

Aliens is more entertaining and it doesnt take long to take off.

Ridley Scott vs James Cameron. Alien was fantastic, it's sent shivers down your spine and is arguably the best horror movie of all time. The claustrophobic feeling, the intense music that always made you feel as though something just wasn't right. Cameron took that and turned it into your average blockbuster. Threw explosions and action at it to distract you from the terrible story and insanely generic action/horror movie characters. Literally the only thing that keeps the movie from ending is the pure insane amount of ignorance from most of the characters. Hands down Alien.

Alien did it right and made the Alien a mystery and having only one is better than having a shit load like Aliens did, but that's just me.

Alien did it right and made the Alien a mystery and having only one is better than having a shit load like Aliens did, but that's just me.

As much as I love both, I have to say Aliens is by far the best. Oh man, so much action.

Flip a coin, because they're both insanely good. Or, in the case where both films in a series are equally excellent, pick the one that came first.

in this case, more is more - Aliens every time

Aliens has more action like shooting and stuff but Alien just has the better scens like Ash going insane and all those other ones. Alien wins

Aliens is more rewatchable for me.The action is fantastic and the tension keeps on building until the brilliant finale.Alien is too slow.I can't watch it again.

Alien has one letter fewer in its title than Aliens. Less is more.

Like MysticSpoon, I didn't care for all the cheap scares in Alien. Aliens is more thrilling, more visceral, more relentless. It's just...MORE.

I'm choosing Aliens simply for entertainment purposes. It sits well up in my top 10 while Alien sits somewhere in the top 25. Cameron's directing is brilliant and greater than that of Scott's and Weaver gives a strong performance than she does in Alien. Alien is haunting of course and is pretty creepy, but its sequel blows it out of the water.

I have a feeling that by the time I reach my 30's, I'll appreciate Alien more. But in the present, Aliens is the more pleasurable movie experience. The best part of Alien (the chestburster) was more masterfully done in Carpenter's The Thing, anyway.

I'm not surprised that the two best films from the "Aliens" universe are neck and neck in this matchup. Ironically it is hard to compare the two because they are of somewhat differing genres of film. "Alien" is one of the best Sci-Fi horror flicks of all time while "Aliens" is one of the best Sci-Fi Action flicks of all time. My profile pic has made this decision for me so in the words of Dwayne Hicks, "I like to keep this handy" *chk* *chk* "For close encounters".

Aliens was able to mix action, suspense, horror, and even put in a love interest. Alien is a great film, but Aliens, made Alien better. Aliens!

"Aliens" got this. MysticSpoon & JohnMason comments were spot on. Aliens is more complete,deeper character development and way more memorable scenes. I said what i think about both movies on previous match-ups,so i don't want to repeat myself here. Easy Call.

This has to be one of the best match-ups on flickchart. Both these films are neck and neck in this contest even after over 140 comments. To keep things interesting, I'm voting for Aliens.

Alien, the first hour of Aliens sucks, Alien forever remains the peak of the series

i would go with Aliens just for the fact there are more Aliens in the sequel.

The one that doesn't have dumb space marines stomping around with giant guns going HUP HUP HUP HUP and spitting one-liners the majority of the movie.

Aliens takes it for me. It was very close one but I prefer the action packed sequel.

Alien, both are amazing but Alien is just so much more

The one that has dumb space marines stomping around with giant guns going HUP HUP HUP HUP and spitting one-liners the majority of the movie.

Aliens is clearly the better film. It's both more energetic and emotionally engaging than its predecessor. Easily the most thrilling entry in the Alien series. The characterization is great and the film has lots to offer thematically, so I have no idea why people keep dismissing it as a dumb action flick.

I find that Aliens, while a great action flick, lacks the horror and suspense that make the original one of my favorites.

I find that Aliens, while a great action flick, lacks the horror and suspense that make the original so great.

Alien in a landslide. Maybe it's an age thing, because I loved Aliens when I was younger and Aliens would probably have scraped through. But I don't understand why people give Alien the stick that they do while Aliens gets a free pass. For one thing, with the exception of Sigourney's hair and the computer interfaces, Alien hasn't aged a bit. In contrast, when I was 13 (Aliens being rated 18 in UK), I told my mother that I was watching an episode of Thunderbirds while it was on, and she believed me. That's how badly Aliens has aged in comparison. This is not helped by the fact that almost every single shooter videogame has now copied and/or parodied Aliens to the point where I found everything that was once considered innovative, cool or exciting about Aliens to be clichéd and dull (I know this was not the case in 1986, but I wasn't alive in 1986, and I watched it much later in life, so my order of experiencing things couldn't be helped). The effects across most departments (particularly sound, visual and score (James Horner is one of the most overrated mainstream composers in Hollywood IMO)) are much less convincing than anything in the first film (although the Alien Queen fight scene is fantastic admittedly) and the characters, with all of their "interesting characterisation" are cardboard cutouts of military stereotypes which can be found in 95% of all action/war movies/videogames. The only thing which really stands out above the conventions of Aliens is Sigourney Weaver, who thoroughly deserved her Academy Award nomination. In fact, she is pretty much the only real draw to me in the film now, along with possibly Lance Henrikson as Bishop and to a much lesser extent Carrie Henn as Newt (who isn't especially interesting and serves only to boulster Sigourney's position as heroine, which she does very well in fairness). Don't get me wrong, I do like the film; it is probably one of the best "sequels" of all time (in terms of it's own merits and it's relationship to it's predecessor) and it definitely belongs in my top 100, but it really doesn't hold as much replay value for me as the original Alien. Alien wins.

Alien for me, Aliens is great but it is more action than horror and Alien has more of an effect on me

Alien

Aliens, but not by much.

Alien was more of a horror film but Aliens was more exhilarating with the combination of action, suspense and character development (much more of that than in the first film). I think the sequel is the better film.

Alien was a better horror movie, but Aliens is the better movie. For Ridley being the man at creating atmosphere, I think Cameron outdoes him in this match-up.

Aliens

Alien

i think they're pretty equal in my head, and then i remember the chestburster.

gotta go with Alien, gets my imagination going. Though movie-watchers who are looking for a more accessible action flick are likely to choose Aliens

Both are different types of science fiction. I prefer the suspense and mystery of the original over the action orientation of the sequel. Despite the plot being common knowledge I still found John Hurt having his space helmet rammed in by the alien, and the ensuing dinner scene highly entertaining. Alien wins.

It's Alien for me. Aliens is a terrific sequel- expanding upon the tropes of the first and heightening the stakes while retaining a great amount of action that never feels excessive. As it is, though, these are two very different films. Alien is more about the horror and psychological aspects of the story and Aliens is an action films that delivers more than things exploding. You can easily make a case for either, but I think Alien did what it was trying to do just a bit better.

Epic duel between these two all-time greats. The atmosphere and suspense of Alien outweighs theh action and one-liners from Aliens. Alien wins by a hair.

Definitely for me Aliens! Alien was mediocre the first time I saw it but I do plan to watch it very soon in order for it to have a certain place on my Flick Chart. For now, Aliens easy

Alien is better, everything about it. It is more subtle, more mysterious and has a way better atmosphere

Ok just watched Aliens again (I must admit, I prefer the extended cut significantly more to the original). I'll confess I may have been too harsh on it; the film itself is fantastic (albeit with problems), and it is indeed a very good follow-up to Alien. But it's also a very "by-the-book" film, whereas Alien, and to a lesser extent Alien3, are much more ambitious in what they try to do both within the series and the Sci-Fi and Horror genres. I guess I just think Aliens is a little overrated by most people, but saying that, it's still good. But Alien still wins without question.

Alien has better suspense and horror scenes. I didn't find Aliens' action too amazing but it is a good movie.

Alien is the better movie and the reasons have already been said.

I loved alien a lot but im more for action than horror so im aliens

Alien was a film that I didn't care for much upon first viewing whereas I loved Aliens. Alien has gotten better with each viewing (I've seen it 4 times now) and now I absolutely love it. It now ranks just a few spots below Aliens. At the end of the day I prefer Aliens because it did what any great sequel should and raised the stakes. Both are Sci-Fi masterpieces.

I'm going with Aliens. The first film was great, but I found myself more into its sequel.

I am not too big a fan of Aliens compared with most people. I have been a little harsh to it though, Aliens has been an important influence to the Sci-Fi and action genres and James Cameron did a great job of making an action-packed successor to Alien. However, like I said I am not a huge fan of it and I feel that Alien is the better film because of the well-done horror and suspense.

Aliens was much better.

Not to mention Sigourney Weaver's amazing performance.

Aliens was better by a mile

Aliens improved on the already great original immensely.

This is aver tough one. With me, it can change at any moment....kinda like The Terminator and T2, but if you ask me, Aliens has more going on.

This is aver tough one. With me, it can change at any moment....kinda like The Terminator and T2, but if you ask me, Aliens has more going on.

Aliens was better (both are great)

NO, NO, NO... this is all wrong ALIENS was just so much better

Alien is better. It's all atmosphere,horror and pure tension. Aliens is one of the greatest action flicks ever made. Both are amazing,amazing films.

does it really matter, everyone has their own tastes in movies

alien manipulates tension better

"The Original is Always Better" does apply here as well as Ridley Scott's film has the better story, the better casting and the better special effects. For all of James Cameron's successes, I thought Aliens was just okay compared to the Terminators, Titanic, The Abyss, and even Avatar.

Both are absolutely fantastic contributions to the Sci-Fi genre, and have had a heavy impact on the genre. I prefer Aliens, because it had all the suspense that the first one had, meanwhile adding a better set of characters, better action, and more interesting concept and screenplay, and raised the stakes. It's right behind The Empire Strikes Back for being one of the best Sci-Fi sequels around.

Yes. Aliens.

But there is lot more than one

The first time I watched Aliens, I felt though it was better than Alien but after thinking things through, Alien is the better film. James Cameron couldn't have made a better sequel, it captures the world of uncertainty and Science Fiction which Ridley Scott had created. I found it interesting that he made it into an action movie but in Alien, the alien seems almost indestructable and I seen it as a larger threat in Alien. In Aliens, they're being blown away easily. I like the feeling of this unstoppable monster lurking in the shadows rather than this enemy which approaches in large numbers very unhidden. The Alien Queen was a nice addition to the film but it was quickly swept away. Longer screen time for it would have been nice. The transition from astronaut to caring motherly figure of Ripley didn't suit me either. Alien is not a perfect film by any means yet I see it as better. The atmosphere of it's genre is amplified through brilliant choices of music and camera techniques. If you want entertainment value though, Aliens is for you as it throws action at you in rapid paces. Alien is more intriguing than Aliens as you wonder what will happen. In Aliens, it's interesting to know that it's been 50-something years since the first one. Alien is by far more iconic as blending Science Fiction with Horror is very difficult. The horror and Sci-Fi was new back in the 70s. Alien is my choice, it's better but not necesarily more entertaining.

The first time I watched Aliens, I felt though it was better than Alien but after thinking things through, Alien is the better film. James Cameron couldn't have made a better sequel, it captures the world of uncertainty and Science Fiction which Ridley Scott had created. I found it interesting that he made it into an action movie but in Alien, the alien seems almost indestructable and I seen it as a larger threat in Alien. In Aliens, they're being blown away easily. I like the feeling of this unstoppable monster lurking in the shadows rather than this enemy which approaches in large numbers very unhidden. The Alien Queen was a nice addition to the film but it was quickly swept away. Longer screen time for it would have been nice. The transition from astronaut to caring motherly figure of Ripley didn't suit me either. Alien is not a perfect film by any means yet I see it as better. The atmosphere of it's genre is amplified through brilliant choices of music and camera techniques. If you want entertainment value though, Aliens is for you as it throws action at you in rapid paces. Alien is more intriguing than Aliens as you wonder what will happen. In Aliens, it's interesting to know that it's been 50-something years since the first one. Alien is by far more iconic as blending Science Fiction with Horror is very difficult. The horror and Sci-Fi was new back in the 70s. Alien is my choice, it's better but not necesarily more entertaining.

Zampa summed it up pretty well. Both are masterpieces in their own ways. As enjoyable as Aliens is though, Ridley Scott's ability to raise dread in Alien was like nothing else. Alien gets the nod for me.

this is tough I mean alien is great because of the suspense and aliens was great because of the action but I'm going to have to go with alien

Alien has better pacing, it's more memorable, it's scary, and most of all, it never, ever gets old. Aliens, on the other hand, is a great action film full of cool and memorable characters, but Alien is just a much better film in general.

not a big fan of either but here it goes

the first Alien film is scary and claustrophobic and even though Aliens had action and more characters i prefer the first but i can see why the second one gets nods im mean the face huggers and the Queen were intense.

There are two types of people in the world: Those that love "Alien" more and those who love "Aliens" more (anything beyond that NEVER happened). Count me in the latter category as I prefer the faster pacing and more action of "Aliens"

Aliens by a hair but both are amazing movies

The winner is Alien/s

I've read the opinions on this list, and it makes me feel better that I am not the only one here that has a hard on for Cameron. Alien has a lot of suspense and Horror, But Alien's has that also. Plus it has Humor and a whole ton of Action. ALIENS WINS

Alien. It's an absolutely amazing film with perfect pacing, tension and visuals. The strobe light, the darkness of the Nostromo... so perfect. Aliens was great but it was really a pretty generic action film. Noot was kind of annoying, and the way Ripley kills the Alien Queen was kind of (really) dumb. That, plus a few cheesy lines ("Not bad... for a... human" was so lame) brought down the quality.

Just watched the sequel for the first time. I like the concept of Aliens a lot--it would have been so easy to do a basic retread of the original, and Cameron didn't. I also feel like the supporting characters are more memorable than in the original, and I loved their interactions. Newt and Ripley's relationship is easily the heart of the film, although I was surprised and delighted that Michael Biehn's character made it through all right. But I just felt like it ran too long for what it was (although some of the deleted scenes sound fascinating) and the xenomorphs were overused to the point that they produced no reaction in me whatsoever. And, as kanedryhurst25 pointed out, it's anticlimactic and disappointing to see one after another of them killed so easily. And there are some corny bits, such as the fight with the powerloader, not to mention them all not being sucked into space when Ripley opens the air lock. I was entertained by the movie, but I definitely think it's overrated here on Flickchart, and for me Alien wins this matchup by a landslide.

The first one made the xenomorph nearly invincible, the sequel kind of takes that away when they're just mowed down by bullets. Loses the magic a bit for me.

While both are great, I believe Alien is a better overall movie. In Aliens most of the characters are action stereotypes while in Alien they feel more fleshed out. Also in Aliens the xenomorphs are used as fodder rather than in Alien where they were legitimately scary and an obstacle that was near impossible to beat. The acid blood in Aliens is also a plot inconsistency,most of the time when a xenomorph is killed none comes out or it does little damage which is a departure from Alien where it goes through multiple stories of the ship. This is why Alien wins for me personally.

aliens wins.It has better climax and acting.The end battle was masterfully handled by james camaron

hohoho no pueden comprar estas dos jajaja son buenas aunque la primera me gusto mas que la segunda así que ..

While spectacular and very entertaining, Aliens lacks the intelligence and overall class of its predecessor. Alien wins and it's not even a close call.

Action usually have a slight edge over horror for me

I got here late but Aliens is 6 on my list and won't move down ever. It's locked in. Alien is 55 on my list and could move up for sure, but not in the top 5.

Alien is pretty fucking overrated. Aliens is obviously much better, it improved on the original. Alien had a great design and atmosphere but no way is it better than Aliens. Alien is basically just an alien is on the ship and kills the crew. More of a horror film, but less story and drama. Alien was more influential, but in terms of entertainment, Aliens annihilates Alien. Alien is pretty boring, probably one of the most long-winded films I would consider to be great, the chest-burster being the best scene. Depends if you prefer a reaaally slow horror film with great atmosphere and design or an awesome well-paced film with a great story, emotional depth, characters and stellar action scenes. Aliens for me. No contest.

Both are pretty great, but Aliens was more my cup of tea.

Neither impressed me all that much, but it's Alien because of the superior everything.

Both are outstanding films, but if I had to choose one, I would say aliens because it has a lot more rewatchabilit and action, but it still keeps a good sense of horror and atmosphere.

Aliens was better than Alien for me

Considering that these are two of my favorite movies, this is a very difficult decision. Despite being in the same series, Alien and Aliens are two quite different films. Alien masters suspense and originality, while Aliens is that perfect mix of stereotypical 80s action flick with a twist of sci-fi. While Aliens may have a slight edge over Alien, I'm going to give this one to the original because nothing can top that. The trailer says it all. It's just too bad the third installment was so terrible.

Love both, and Sigourney Weaver's Ripley in Aliens is among my favorite movie characters ever - but overall, Alien wins for me. It's a perfect movie.

I think Cameron is an autor and he´s the absolute and only one responsible for Aliens. On the other hand, Ridley Scott needs a good script, cast and crew in order to créate a masterpiece but its not an autor. He has such a great taste and talent for atmosphere but has no personality. I prefer Alien 1979, but to my mind, Alien is just like the result of the talent of many profesional and talented people, one of them Scott indeed, at the service of the script.

Alien is far superior. Not only in its production design, but in the setup, the payoff, the use of atmopshere and suggestion... It makes a completely fictional setting feel so real, by having the characters within it also feel so incredibly real and genuine. It has more film-making craft to it, and it's paced much better than its sequel is. Aliens is still great, but loses the sense of mystery attached to the Aliens, comparing them to insects. The aliens don't look very good aside from a few shots, the dialogue is kind of embarrassingly cartoony at times, and the last act carries on way too long. Again, still very solid and entertaining, but nowhere near as good as its predecessor.

The contender for the best film of all time VS The pretender for the best film of all time. Alien wins, easily!

Scott does it better imo

two perfectly complementary films, but i prefer alien's style

alien resurrection is better than both :) voting alien.

I'm not scared of the Xenomorph in Aliens. I like Aliens, but to me, it goes against everything I love about Alien.

Alien is a masterpiece and Aliens is a great action combat, Alien is better here...

Aliens is no doubt one of the best sequels in cinematic history, but it doesn't quite surpass the quality of the original masterpiece.

Aliens. It has suspense like the first and action. More memorable lines and characters.

They're both phenominal, but Aliens was more enjoyable to me.

They're both phenominal, but Aliens was more enjoyable to me.

So, I've seen Aliens yesterday and Alien the day before because they were both on TV... I LOVED Alien and it instantly became one of my all time favourite Sci-Fi-Movies. But Aliens... I didn't like it at all! It lacks the suspense and the tension of the first one, it felt too long, the characters were dumb and unlikable and it felt like Ripley was just a bystander in her own movie. And the ending was a copy/paste from the original. But I appreciated the visuals and some of the ideas were near. Additionally, I liked the first ~30 minutes of Aliens. Alien: 10/10 Aliens: 6/10 (If even that...)

Aliens over Alien.

I love both but this is tough for me, Alien is superior but Aliens is close second

I thought Alien was a lot better. Better characters, acting, and far better direction. Aliens had a bunch of weird camera cuts and music that didn't really fit imo. I did really like Aliens though, i just don't think it was as great as the original.

I like Aliens more. Alien was very slow-paced, the horror didn't keep me in it, and it was just boring. Aliens took it to a new level with a lot of sci-fi action, which made it more intriguing for me.

I think the choice between those two really depends on what genre you are more affiliated to, they are both excellent films. If you prefer the sci fi/horror genre then you will like more 'Alien', and if you prefer the sci fi/action genre then 'Aliens' will be better for you. As a horror fan 'Alien' connects more with me and I love the idea that the sci fi/horror genre gave the original film, the one that started all the franchise.

Both improve the greatest standard films but the original alien film gathers the right reference that goes complete of the edition.

Hard Choice, but I'm more of an Aliens guy myself. I love Alien, but Aliens is just the perfect horror action.

resurrection/ALIENS/ALIEN/prometheus/covenant/alien3

Aliens, not because I think it's a better movie, but because it's more my taste. I prefer action thrillers over just straight horror, so that's why I would choose Aliens. It's also more rewatchable since it's an action movie and also more entertaining. Just my opinion.

Both movies are amazing but I think alien is better because of its influence in both horror and just movies in general Both amazing though

Alien for technical brilliance, Aliens for entertainment and rewatch value. Alien gets a slight edge for my preference of sci-fi and horror.

I preferred the meditative Scott's movie with more careful pacing and less shitty movie dialogue.

alien so boring. aliens more entertainment so i take it

Alien is overall more influential and bona fide filmmaking at its finest, whilst Aliens is more entertaining and emotionally profound. Probably the toughest decision I have faced regarding two films within the same franchise .

Alien is better but I honestly thought they were both just fine, I liked Prometheus more than these two.

Alien. A more effective thriller in my opinion, primarily because a lone threat has always seemed creepier than a large enemy force.

The leap forward in budget and effects quality makes Aliens probably the only sequel that blows a very good predecessor out of the water. Fantastic casts in both.