The Godfather Part II vs. There Will Be Blood

20 comments

22 comments

Dont make me choose.

I give it to TWBB, but mostly because Daniel Day Lewis' performance is so insane.

I don't think I can choose...this time

The Godfather Part II is perfect in terms of film making, but Daniel Plainview's character and story are just more interesting to me.

There Will Be Blood is just pure genius.A modern masterpiece.

TWBB is fantastic, but The Godfather Part II is even more fantastic.

twbb

Godfather Part II...no question...

The Godfather Part II is so much better than TWBB

The Godfather Part II....

Seb
Seb

i respect godfather part 2, but in my opinion, there will be blood is so much better. it works on a whole other level of filmmaking. it wins comprehensively

Both these films are great.But Godfather II is too long and repeat viewings seem tedious.Plus at the end,I thought Plainview was a more tragic character than Michael.He was also the more interesting of the two.Both the films have this grand and larger-than-life feel to them but DDL's performance in TWBB,in my opinion,is the greatest performance ever.Credit also goes to PTA's expertly written script and Jonny Greenwood's beautiful score.

Oh come on, The Godfather Part II is a far better film and film experience.

Both are masterpieces but I'm going with TWBB.

Two great performances. I would give the slight edge to Pacino performance-wise, and The Godfather Part 2 takes the win all together.

Wow, extremely tough. I'll give it to TWBB by a small margin.

not even close

Considering its a 200 minute movie, finishing it in a single view might be a bit tedious - u gotta take a break. But it is 1 of those rare movies that i like more & more on repeat viewings. There are just so many great things to watch that i can't get enough of.

The Godfather Part II takes the cake.

I agree with PiccoloKing about Daniel Plainview having a more interesting story than Michael Corleone. My choice is also TWBB.

Two films were two men commit sins to get what they want and are left broken. Also two of the greatest lead performances in a film ever. The Godfather Part II has the slight edge.

Two films where*

First off I just wanna say that even though Day-Lewis was fantastic, his performance doesn't touch Pacino's (or De Niro's for that matter) in The Godfather Part II. The second installment of the Godfather is also the better film overall.

The Godfather Part II wins. TWBB is one of the most ambitious films of the 21st century and I respect it,but frankly it just can't touch The Godfather Part II.It just can't.

TWBB may have a better cinematography (I never took any of The Godfather movies as a visual feast). Apart from that there's no contest for me. The story of TWBB is quite a mess with the pointless flashforward in the end. Day-Lewis created an impressive character, but his role also felt forced at times (best acting ever? C'mon, his hamminess in the last minutes was hard to swallow). No way he can beat Pacino's chilling performance. Let alone comparing goofy Paul Dano to Cazale, De Niro or even Strasberg. Yeah, this case is quite simple.

The Godfather 2

Part II.

Wow this is really tough. I'm going to choose There Will Be Blood but this is extremely close.

Blood...

ear
ear

There Will Be Blood is brilliant!

Blood is worth of dozen times better..

Blood is worth of dozen times better..

There Will Be Blood by far.

There Will Be Blood

Hard to choose based on quality (style or substance) as both are great. So Godfather wins on legacy.

Hard to choose based on quality (style or substance) as both are great. So Godfather wins on legacy.

There Will Be Blood is a classic, while Godfather II isn't anything simple nothing.

There Will Be Blood is a classic, while Godfather II isn't anything simple nothing.

I will pick The Godfather Part II but There Will Be Blood is still amazing and it's really close.

There will be blood physical best terms.

There Will Be Blood is amazes the true masterpiece.

I think Part 2 honestly does everything better. Cinematography, acting, editing, story, everything is top-notch, so I'll give it to The Godfather Part 2

After rewatching both of them, yeah Part 2 stomps. Pacino's performance may very well be the greatest acting performance ever showed on film, and even Day-Lewis doesn't quite compare

There Will Be Blood absolutely stomps here