Blade Runner vs. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

1 comments

12 comments

what a biggie. the emotional blade runner vs the wild ride that is GBU. sorry eastwood, but ford takes this contest by just a little bit.

Toughest match-up of the day so far. I was completely mesmerized by both of these films and they have both grown to be top favorites of each genre that they represent. I'm going with the Western here though.

Wow, funky how similar they are next to each other, yet totally not. Maybe because one is dry, the other wet.

Eastwood over Ford. To this day, despite multiple viewings...I find nothing exceptional about Blade Runner...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly demolishes the overpraised Blade Runner.

lud
lud

Yep,another vote for GBU.

I'm gonna go with TG,TB,ATU, however Blade Runner is a very good film. Great Matchup!

It's unbelievable for a film from 1966 to beat a higher budget sci-fi action movie from 1982. It's staggering.

Blade Runner is an emotional tour de force. I love GBU and all but it's just kinda there, and doesn't affect me the same way.

Blade Runner sure looks good, but it's not nearly as "deep" as a lot of people make it out to be. Nice visuals =/ Meaningful art. Sure, you could convince me that there's probably something in there about the meaning of human life or whatever, but the performances are subpar (Hauer is good, though), the story is flimsy and it's just not that engaging. The Good, the Bad and The Ugly may get a little too much praise as well, although admittedly it is a great film. The stuff with the confederates near the end was really unnecessary (the film literally takes a break with what it was doing) and I prefer Clint Eastwood being on his own instead of him having a sidekick. Don't get me wrong, I love Tuco, but his character diminishes Eastwood's level of bad-ass. That's probably the reason why I prefer For a Few Dollars More. But TGTBATU does have a lot of memorable scenes and a truly amazing score. I don't think it's perfect, but it is a brilliant film nonetheless.

I too thought Blade Runner was overrated after my initial watch. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It was sorta meh. But then I watched it again. The second viewing did wonders for my impression of the movie. I've now seen it about 5 times with my affinity growing each time. It's slowly made its way up my chart to the top 30. Also, the version makes a huge difference. Stay away from the narrated version. It's annoying. Okay, after saying all of that, GBU is still my pick here. :-)

I also really liked Blade Runner, but I wasn't blown away by it. Who knows, maybe I'll like it more on repeat viewings. For now (and always) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly crushes.

GBU. I don't find Blade Runner to be as good as most people do, it's still a great film but it simply cannot compete with Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco (though Blade Runner probably deserves a another viewing).

Blade Runner is a great film, but it can't top The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

I'll take TGTBATU...