Inception vs. The Departed

22 comments

18 comments

JRM
JRM

DiCaprio VS DiCaprio. I'm not a big fan of gangster flicks, so this isn't too difficult for me. Choosing INCEPTION.

The Departed is definitely my favorite gangster film, but gangster films are not really my genre. Leo's probably better in The Departed (just), but it otherwise can't hold a candle to Inception.

its matchups like this that make me wish i have never gotten addicted to this site....

I would love to pick Inception here but not before another viewing. I only have one movie I have seen once in my Top 20 (The Seven Samurai) and The Departed is at #9 right now. I could very well like Inception more but I want to be sure before I throw it into one of my favorite movies of all time list.

I fell asleep watching Inception. I dreamt I watched the Departed. When I woke up my bank account was empty, my email hacked and someone had left a pinwheel on my bed. But the dream was still better than reality.

ear
ear

Inception is the new "in" movie now but Scorsese is hard to beat when he is at the top of his game.

I really enjoyed Inception I think it's a movie that people will be talking about for years, but if I have to choose one to watch right now I'm picking the Departed it's an amazing awesome movie that should be even higher on my list.

OMG... My brain exploded. Or is it a dream? Who am I, anyway? Um, wait, um... Seriously, give Nolan a few years and he'll be named in the same breath as Scorcese, mark my words. But in the meantime, while an average Nolan is better than an average Marty (compare INSOMNIA with THE AVIATOR, for instance --yes, I just said that) but no one beats a great Marty. And THE DEPARTED is absolutely a great Marty. Greatest remake ever? Discuss.

I've seen The Departed about five times now and, while I still really like it, I enjoy the film less and less with each viewing. Inception is just too good.

Yeah I buy that Jaycer4ever, The Departed is the greatest remake that comes to mind.

While The Departed is an excellent film, it's a bit long - even for Scorsese - and has a handful of over-the-top performances that sometimes dip into territory of self-parody. Even though Inception is extremely heavy on plot and audience instruction to teach the rules of the film, it's so well executed and conceived as a perfect marriage of heist and science fiction. People will talk about Inception for decades to come, but I fear that The Departed will only be known as the Infernal Affairs remake that Scorsese did particularly well.

Inception. Leonardo put on his best performance for The Departed but in terms of a better movie, it has to go to Inception.

Inception for me. It's all in all a more complete experience. It's unique, it's engrossing and I have it on blu-ray.

On second thought, The Departed is better.

Inception. I doubt that I'll be thinking about The Departed in 20 years.

Even if it seems hard, a great and original Nolan movie canĀ“t be beaten by a remake. Not even a Scorsese one.

Nolan's one of the best "new" directors, and he makes awesome psychological thrillers. Departed, though, I could recite the whole movie to you right now. Been a classic for me since I was ten.

I don't pick against Inception often...but right now, it's The Departed...

Nolan is one of the best directors I've ever known of, if not the best. In my opinion, he bests even Hitchcock (then again in my opinion that isn't hard). Inception is his magnum opus, a true original masterpiece, complex and intimate.

The Departed is one of my favorites, but Inception is my favorite.

Both are excellent, but Inception is more my type of movie.

Great matchup, but Inception wins.

Rats within rats over dreams within dreams.

Inception for me. The Departed is one of those movies you can watch over and over again and never get sick of. Inception is the same way, except you find something new with every watch.

The Departed.

Inception over the departed. I really like the departed but inception that was something I had never seen before and like masterofmovies said above you find something new with every watch.

Inception by far.

Inception.

Both are great performances from DiCaprio but Inception is the better film.

Inception

I'll go with Inception for now but Leo was better in The Departed.

The departed wins.Better movie , Better performances, better story

If you showed me the respective casts of both of these movies before I had seen them, I'd likely predict that I would like the Departed more, but this actually couldn't be farther from the truth.

How have I missed this one? Both are around 8 or 9 out of 10. Love them both. As to the better movie? Coin flip goes to Inception.

the departed is a little bette than inception for me

The departed easy.

Inception

The Departed, no contest at all.

Inception is a masterpiece whereas departed is strong of its acting. So, its inception by miles.

Inception is a masterpiece whereas departed is strong of its acting. So, its inception by miles.

Inception is better film but The Departed has the better Di Caprio performance.

I have more fun with Inception, but The Departed is better and it isn't close at all. Inception has the visuals and intellectual concepts down, but the plot nearly falls apart in the 3rd act cause of how many loopholes it has to use for its story to actually function. It mostly pulls this off, but I do think The Departed wins in every regard besides maybe cinematography.

The Departed is better by far. Probably Leo's best.... Hollywood or The Revenant vs The Departed would be a closer competition.

Leo had a better performance in the departed but inception was the better movie overall