Inception vs. The Avengers

42 comments

24 comments

Another close call, and again I'm going with the brainier one.

Agreed, Inception just gets better with repeat viewings.

Going with the fun superhero flick.

Inception. Avengers has kind of lost its hype with me ever since I saw it. Still a very great superhero flick though.

Inception is one of the greatest films ever made. The Avengers is a lazy and overrated cash-grab.

Is this a joke? Inception is a gimmick movie. Avengers is a genre classic. Avengers wins and it's not even debatable.

I will say that The Avengers was far from a "lazy and overrated cash-grab". Joss Whedon's writing was actually pretty flawless and brilliant. And Inception is a "gimmick movie"? Really? I guess superheros aren't a gimmick? Anyway, Inception was also incredibly written, and The Avengers still feels more like just a fun movie with the whole superhero thing. The better direction and drama of Inception wins it here.

The Avengers if only by the slight edge. Inception was awesome but The Avengers is a better Superhero film than Inception a Sci-Fi/Heist/Noir film.

There's no beating Inception.

Avengers wins Inception was boring and i fell asleep the first watch. I will give it another try soon.

Inception, definitely.

My two favorite directors. In this case I go with Avengers, but they are very close.

Inception. I enjoyed Avengers somewhat, but I felt it was more of a movie for comic book fans who already loved the Marvel properties. Inception on the other hand could stand on it's own merits.

Yep, Inception without a doubt.

"I need to see my kids again" There are numerous ways one can look at this statement. - The fact that the children's faces are not revealed until the final scene of the film (one of the theories of the film) indicates that if it was all a dream and Cob's subconscious was not allowing him to see their faces until he knew, or at least accepted, that they were real. In this case, seeing them indicates an internal struggle to allow himself to see them and accept them. - An alternative theory is the more literal one, where he wants to physically get home to America and be with his kids again. Some argue why he couldn't just fly the kids to him. Putting aside the numerous plot holes that would form if the movie had taken that direction (Getting Mal's mother to agree to sign the papers allowing them to fly, the fact that they could trace them to Cobb's location), what kind of father would want his kids to be raised in a world where their lives are constantly in danger and they have to run from authorities and hit-men all the time? Which leads to the underlying theme of the film... - "I want to see my kids" is a metaphor for "I want the nightmare to be over". Whether Cobb's life of being hired by shifty organizations and running from authorities/hitmen is a dream or reality, he just wants it to end; he wants to have a normal life. He wants to see his kids without all of that baggage. The rich, phenomenally layered film just works on so many sensational levels and gets better with each viewing.

MARVEL’S been on a roll since the record breaking success of Iron Man and here’s where it all pays off. And man, does it ever!!!!!!! Avengers is exceptional in every way.

As Nolan is now 8 for 8 as far as great films are concerned (Inception's brilliant Scifi entry included), Nolan is absolutely on fire now. He cannot fail because it is impossible for him to fail; the man is simply marketable beyond compare.

The first thing that should be noted about The Avengers is that it wears big boy pants. It smashes and dashes, smirks and winks, passes the time and yet MAKES YOU THINK. It’s a spectacle in the grandest sense of the word, a notable counterpoint to “gritty realism,” and a feather in director Joss Whedon’s cap. Downey Jr. makes us remember why his Iron Man character is so compelling, he’s huge comic relief throughout. Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk is a delight, he’s a man constantly on the edge of a delicious rage blackout. The main selling point of The Avengers. It’s very fun. Thematically, the film is brilliant but when gallows humor is employed against big action pieces it feels for a moment like the reason movies were invented. Festive escapism, laced with comedy, huge and blustery, and demanding to be taken to dinner. One-liners like “His brain is a bag full of cats” and “an intelligence organization that fears intelligence is not awesome” carry the day.And then there’s the action. Lord have mercy, there are scenes in The Avengers that flat out whistle. The strongest aspect of comic book action is, though it is (generally) encapsulated in a frame, it doesn’t need to conform to the physics of reality. So too, The Avengers movie, which fluidly blends CGI and ambition to output something not quite of this world. When the shot goes from The Hulk to Cap’ to Iron Man to Thor to Black Widow to Hawkeye … and back again, well you’ve convinced me that there are still a few angles out there that haven’t been beaten into the ground. Of those angles, the film uses them in a far more intimate manner than we’re used to with summer fare, to the film’s credit. And then there’s the action. Lord have mercy, there are scenes in The Avengers that flat out whistle. The strongest aspect of comic book action is, though it is (generally) encapsulated in a frame, it doesn’t need to conform to the physics of reality. So too, The Avengers movie, which fluidly blends CGI and ambition to output something not quite of this world. When the shot goes from The Hulk to Cap’ to Iron Man to Thor to Black Widow to Hawkeye … and back again, well you’ve convinced me that there are still a few angles out there that haven’t been beaten into the ground. Of those angles, the film uses them in a far more intimate manner than we’re used to with summer fare, to the film’s credit.

Nolan has truly outdone himself with this epic tale of the inner workings of the mind. With a brilliant cast giving career best work and a truly remarkable script full of wit, heart, soul and brains, Inception pushes the boundaries of film making art and gives us a spectacular story of love, sacrifice and teamwork that makes you engage parts of your mind you never expected to be reached. An endlessly re-watchable film that gets better with repeat viewings. Given the handicaps it had going into it (original idea, no 3D, no franchise/prequel, dutiful attention by the audience) this could have been a failure in another director's hands, but Nolan is much like the Goose and Miller's daughter of fairy tale lore, Nolan can create valuable treasure from nothing

When I saw the incedible film know as Avengers, all I could think about was how it instantly stacks up to the all-time great films in its category. What I said about now classics like Iron Man, Spider-Man 2, X2, X-Men First Class and even Captain America is still all true but Avengers tops them. I can say that without hesitation. Just like those great films of the genre, Avengers delivers a wide range of emotions. Yet, it keeps the intensity on overdrive all the way through the film. I’m not talking constant mindless action, I’m talking intense depth and pathos that adds to the action. The complexity, depth, heart, emotion and action are off the charts here. I honestly know that it’s literally impossible for us to see a better movie this summer and, for that matter the rest of the year. I know that this buzz will piss off fans of other upcoming films and I really don’t care at this point. I’m looking forward to a few of those myself but I know now that they all will fall short of what I just saw from Avengers. If this causes a backlash and false hate against Avengers then so be it. I totally agree with most of the film critics who are raving about it. Fun was expected but the complexities of the movie couldn’t have been expected to this degree. The evolution and growth of the characters adds so much weight to the wildly fun stuff they serve up. The main cast just absolutely shines as we all knew that they could given the right material. I loved the supporting cast a lot as well. I was stunned at how good this movie turned out and I had quite high expectations. How many hyped films in recent memory have lived up to and then surpassed that hype? This one is in rare company.

Inception is truly a mammoth achievement from the clear, crisp vision of Christopher Nolan. A highly entertaining, superbly constructed protagonist journey that also captures the spirit of adventure far better than anything Marvel Studios has ever produced, or will. Backed by one of the most complex screenplays of all time, it's this film that confirmed Nolan's status as the blockbuster auteur of our time. It's an exercise for the intelligent filmgoer's brain through its richly layered themes about spatial composition, cerebral dynamics, psychological intrusion, and corporate espionage. Nolan has proved to the Marvelites time and again that a film can be for the masses, and still be the intellectual viewer's dream come true. A masterpiece, if there ever was one

^^^ CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPWHIIIIISTLE!!!!

Thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Avengers is an instant classic to be sure. I just read an article where Joss Whedon said this about Avengers: “I want it to feel like a comic book without trying to look like one. I’m trying to ride that line between bigger-than-life characters and their bigger-than-life moments and the very human aspects of them.” Mission MORE than accomplished! He did that perfectly. The fantastical elements balanced masterfully with their flaws and humanity. It’s why this movie is so cool, epic yet grounded. It’s a job well done to say the least.

Avengers is now my favorite adventure film of the 21st century bar none. Most thought Iron Man raised the bar in terms of what we could expect from modern adaptations. While true, what’s remarkable is that Avengers is the pinnacle of what any adaptation should hope to be. I know all taste is subjective but for me, this movie is so beyond phenomenal that all others, even fellow Marvel films, will be playing catch up for years to come. Yes, Avengers is as great as we all hoped and as well structured as any ensemble movie ever put to film. Big words I know but I believe it to my core.

^ So well stated^ The Avengers is indeed the best action/adventure film of the century to date and all the numbers back that up.

^ I haven't seen Avengers so I can't say you are wrong, but don't confuse high grossing sales with proof of quality (at least that's the numbers I think you are referring to).

"Over weeks, months, arguably years, names will be dropped, movie titles repeated, as critics and fans wrestle with the importance of "Inception": Stanley Kubrick's "2001," the Wachowski siblings' "Matrix" (the good original), Nolan's own "Memento." "Inception" runs about 2 1/2 hours. Two hours in, I looked at my watch. It was not a gesture of boredom but an expression of regret that the ride would soon end. " Lisa Kennedy; writer, critic...Phophet!

Avengers is two-plus hours of visual brawn, unexpected heartbeats and welcome humor. After all, it features Robert Downey Jr. Avengers offers fans — comic book habitue and moviegoer alike — an epically enjoyable time that weaves character with action in ways that take serious and playful pleasure in pop culture ideas. There are massive egos and lessons in humility. With its competing deities and heroes, there's also a likely thesis topic for grad students. "Superheroes and Monotheism" anyone? A great deal of the early fun comes from watching the bumpy, brawling meet-and-greets, especially between Thor, Iron Man and Captain America. What different mindsets these guys have: Stark is the charismatic corporate egotist; Thor (Hemsworth) is a god increasingly fond of his human wards; Capt. America (Chris Evans) is arguably the most human among them. Among the best surprises here is Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. Leave it to Whedon, creator of Buffy, slayer of vampires, to give us a great heroine. Avengers is a four star film. -----------Lisa Kennedy Film Critic an alleged prophet.

"Avengers is two-plus hours of visual brawn, unexpected heartbeats and welcome humor. After all, it features Robert Downey Jr. Avengers offers fans — comic book habitue and moviegoer alike — an epically enjoyable time that weaves character with action in ways that take serious and playful pleasure in pop culture ideas. There are massive egos and lessons in humility. With its competing deities and heroes, there's also a likely thesis topic for grad students. "Superheroes and Monotheism" anyone? A great deal of the early fun comes from watching the bumpy, brawling meet-and-greets, especially between Thor, Iron Man and Captain America. What different mindsets these guys have: Stark is the charismatic corporate egotist; Thor (Hemsworth) is a god increasingly fond of his human wards; Capt. America (Chris Evans) is arguably the most human among them. Among the best surprises here is Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. Leave it to Whedon, creator of Buffy, slayer of vampires, to give us a great heroine. Avengers is a four star film. "-----------Lisa Kennedy Film Critic an alleged prophet. (Forgot the quotes above!)

Wo-hohoho-ow. Looks like it's really war now. I should make my own faction...Kick-Ass 2 will set the standard, yo. Nolan and Marvel can suck it.

I know this, because SquareMaster knows this.

^^^ Well, the ball's in Jeff Wadlow's court now!

Still better than Christopher Nolan...alright, I take that back.

But who knows, right? :D ..... :I

Avengers has the humor, angst and drama are remarkable for a superhero flick. Heck, they’re remarkable for any type of movie. I can't think of a weak moment in the film, as it is strong from beginning to end. Anyone doubting that this cast couldn’t play well together or that characters would be cheated out of screen time need not worry. EVERYONE gets to shine. Downey as well as Hiddleston (Loki) are Oscar caliber good in this movie. All the performances are dead nuts perfect. Hulk is finally perfect in his CG transformation. Everyone is perfectly cast (even though I still would’ve loved to have seen Norton as Banner) and perfect in their roles. Honestly, Hiddleston gives one of the greatest villain portrayals in recent years. This easily fulfilled and the exceeded all of my expectations. I can't wait to see where they branch the Avengers Imitative from this point forward. There are so many great possibilities. This really is everything anyone would want in a movie. I know it’s everything I had hoped to see.

The movie is intriguing, action packed, intense, but its also mysterious and emotional. In addition to themes of family and loyalties … the biggest is reality… for both the audience and the characters trying to figure out what is real and what is just a dream is a full time exercise. The crew for this heist is stocked with experts … they are effective, but not without their problems… addding an air of uncertainty if they’ll be able to pull this off. Its a great cast from Leonardo DiCaprio’s lead to the limited but effective roles of Pete Postlethwaite and Michael Caine – everyone is given just the right amount of screentime and dialogue. Nolan likes troubled heroes and DiCaprio does it so well here… but Nolan also likes to give his characters depth and its one of the biggest things I look for in a movie beyond the standard entertainment value, storyline and acting… I want character development… and even in the limited screentime or dialogue we get character development for everyone in “Inception”. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great as a well-groomed, yet slightly mysterious sidekick, Ellen Page is the bright but confused new recruit, Tom Hardy is solid as the slick undercover man, Ken Watanabe is solid as the dual edged friend or foe, Dileep Rao is well cast as the smart but not field experienced man of science, Cillian Murphy is great as the uptight rich kid with father-son issues, Marion Cotillard is stunning in her portrayal of DiCaprio’s long lost love with her own issues, Pete Postlethwaite gets a few scenes as Murphy’s ill father which he plays spot on, and Michael Caine’s mentor figure is smooth and so effortless to DiCaprio’s character… and their chemistry makes it seem like they’ve been together for years. The writing is also great – the story moves and engages the audience, its certainly doesn’t feel like 2 1/2 hours. Nolan’s script gives us many memorable lines, but the one that stuck with me most is DiCaprio’s character Mr. Cobb explaining that the most contagious parasite is “An idea. From the tiniest seed, it spreads like a virus.” The score by Hans Zimmer also adds depth and invokes emotion – its epic, thrilling, mysterious and haunting… everything you’d expect from the 1995 Oscar Winner for Best Score (“Lion King”) and the composer behind “The Dark Knight” (2008), “Gladiator” (2000), and “The Ring” (2002). The cinematography, editing, costumes, sets, lighting and everything else in this movie is top notch… “Inception” is brilliant, amazing, intriguing … the most complex action movie ever…

Avengers is easily the new king of the genre. Everything has converged perfectly, delivering what is now the new king of the genre. The Avengers is certainly the best overall comic adaptation film ever made. Really, how could it not be? They positioned this thing with FIVE other set up films that were each remarkable in their own right. Not only does it all come together but I’m happy to say this amazing cast delivers in every way. Believe it or not, every single character featured previously in those five films gets time to really shine at one point or another in this astounding movie. Even though the set up has been epic, the result was anything but assured. It would have been easy to be overwhelmed by the task of putting all these great character together and making it click but they pulled it off perfectly. Maybe it’s because the characters themselves are complex and intriguing and that they have been brought to three dimensional life by people that really care. Whatever the case, EVERYONE hits a home run here. They fleshed out perfect cohesion while remembering to include the fun and humor that have made those other five films good. If you define those films as good then you’ll define Avengers as great. It’s a unified step up and I didn’t think that possible. What’s also amazing is that I think this movie works without having seen any of those other films. Then, the fun factor will be enjoyed by those that didn’t care about the other movies. The depth and amazement will come from those that have invested in to this universe. What they’ve done is transcend any other of this genre’s films by going deeper and doing so in spectacular fashion with Oscar caliber performances. Again, easily the new king of the genre.

"Nolan establishes himself as the Kubrick of the 21st century with a brilliant installment of the scifi genre, with an ambiguous ending that rivals the majesty of the Star Child. Smarter than the Matrix without the pretension, smarter than Avengers and better with humor as well."

Inception is one long mind fart that appeals to people with limited intellect. Avengers is pure fun and cinema done right. The people have spoken on this long ago.

A brilliantly constructed labyrinth of complex ideas. A truly unique film that embraces the deepest, most thought provoking aspects of the human mind both within the context of the film and the audience, treating them with respect and rewarding them with an unparalleled experience.

The main problem with Avengers is that it sets the bar TOO high. It's simply a phenomenal movie. This has fans of other film franchise working themselves up in to a lather. It also has producers soiling themselves because they know their movies slated to be released later this year will seem less by comparison to Avengers. It's like setting off the grand finale at a fireworks show first. Every pop and explosion after that will seem like a giant "meh."

Inception...no questions asked.

Avengers and it's quite obvious at that. Not even a contest.

"Inception" is an excellent and breathtaking movie that is one of the only films released during the Summer of 2010 that lives up to its hype. It is a perfect and highly original film that holds your attention until the credits roll. The less you know about this movie going in, the more you will be entranced by seeing it. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb, a world class criminal who, with the help of a team of sleep experts, works his way into people's subconscious and steals what people value most: ideas directly from their minds. In his last assignment to possibly clear his name, he is assigned not to steal an idea from someone, but to plant one inside that person's mind. The difficulty comes when certain people are trained to block their ideas from being taken. That plot summary only covers the basics of this pretty complicated story, but to describe every plot detail would take away the magic of this film you must see yourself to believe. DiCaprio is good in his role, but unlike many other films he has starred in, this is perhaps his only role where his character alone does not carry the weight of the movie on his shoulders or share it equally with one other co-star. Instead, this great ensemble cast teams together to make this movie work, just as their characters collaborate to pull off such a unique heist. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, and Tom Hardy are especially good in their roles. The special effects in this film were also very good, which is amazing considering their simplicity compared to the "Matrix" movies. There are slow-motion shots, but no impossible kung fu fighting sequences. It's especially interesting when the film gets into the architecture of certain dreams, and impossible sequences are filmed in a way I've never seen other than in drawings. However, the special effects would mean nothing if the story wasn't good. For this reason, even something as simple as a spinning top holds your attention in a way you would never think it would when seeing it in this film. The credit here can be given to writer and director Christopher Nolan, who has not made a bad film yet. There are many twists and turns in this film, but Nolan never loses his focus in the process of telling the story. It's an incredibly entertaining movie, but it also makes you think and continues to do so after you leave the theater.

Avengers it is.

Avengers it is indeed. All in all, Avengers is one great film that I will see many times on DVD. Is it the best superhero movie ever? HECK YES! Normally I’d hedge that question and say “one of the best” but there really is no hesitation or doubt at this point. It IS the best ever no debate. The movie generated great word of mouth and more and more people have called it the best ever to the point where it's a majority consensus.

You have it on DVD and not Blu Ray? You must not be a true fan! This guy is a PHONEY!

I have a copy of Avengers by every TV in my house. Blu-ray and DVD so I don't even have to change rooms or floors to enjoy it. Yes, it's THAT good of a movie. Every person and every house should have multiple copies of it.

Without the hype in body, Inception. By a freaking mile.

Both great, I prefer Inception though.

Avengers is a good example of style over substance as if they're mutually exclusive. On the other hand, Inception incorporates even more style than Avengers but without sacrificing substance. In laymen's terms, Inception wins.

I liked Inception's witty style just a little bit better than Avengers awesome fun.

I'm gonna say Avengers for now

Inception is way more thought-provoking, intelligent, touching and downright mindblowing, but Avengers just freaks in some of the biggest nerdgasm I've ever experienced... even though I actually put Matrix below Avengers, here Inception's mind is just a little too much for the matters of Whedon's masterpiece.

One of Chris Nolan's best wins.

Inception. Those who saw the film in theatre will always remember the reaction of the crowd in the ending

Thank you fox! The two greatest movies of all time

Reading through some of these comments and laughing so hard. The Avengers isn't even my favorite comic book adaptation. TDK and TDKR are clearly better. I also prefer X-Men and X2 over Avengers. Honestly, I thought the first Iron Man was better than the Marvel conglomerate, Avengers. I just thought there were too many characters thrown together with a sore lack of cohesion and purpose. It just seems that some were thrown in there just for the sake of mere camera time while not adding much to the overall value of the movie. The story seems rushed, and the script is a bit clumsy if not downright sloppy. Now, I did enjoy Avengers for what it is: a high octane, very entertaining popcorn flick. But when compared to it's contemporaries, TDK and TDKR, it just falls short in the substance department. As for this particular matchup, Avengers isn't nearly as well-thought out as Inception. While Avengers seem to be a rushed project, Inception is a carefully crafted masterpiece.

I love Inception. Love it. But Avengers was the most fun I've had at the movies in a long, long time. It's not the "better movie" per se, but it's good enough to place above Inception on my chart.

The issue here is that you need to look at both of these movies and realize what each was trying to do. They aren't exactly in the same genre. Avengers is Sci-Fi/Action while Inception is Psyc-Thriller/Action. I choose Avengers for several reasons, but first, Inception. It was a masterpiece, easily in my top 50 movies. The script was solid, production was top notch, and the performances spot on. Same could be said of Avengers. Here's where the difference lies: the 3rd act. For me, Inception slipped in the 3rd act. I thought the snow fortress sequence was tired, lazy, and something out of an 80's Bond flick. It quite simply, didn't live up to what the first two breathtaking acts established. It was predictable and the low point of the film. (Loved the final shot, however). So, where Inception almost falls apart in the 3rd act, contrastly, Avengers came together in the 3rd act. This film built, and built, and built from a place of greatness to a 3rd act of sheer brilliance. It didn't let up, let down, or let go for a second. Consider the ridiculous hype and the near impossible task Whedon set out to accomplish, and the result is figuratively breath-taking. It was the perfect superhero film and one of the greatest Sci-Fi/Action films to come out in the history of film. Inception, while incredible, still falls short of The Prestige, and, dare I say, The Dark Knight in terms of complex, thought-provoking, and exciting cinema. These two films never competed directly, but Avengers soared higher in its genre than Inception did. Team: Avengers

I prefer inception

Nolan's Inception was incredible! Loved the complex storyline, intense soundtrack, and amazing actors.

Both are tremendously overrated. Inception is better though.

The Avengers sucks dick.

Inception still holds up remarkably 6 years later. Whereas Avengers has been exposed more and more as the overhyped, shallow mess it's always bee. There was nothing oscar worthy about Hiddleston's Loki, and certainly nothing worthy from RDJ... period, mostly b/c Downey has never been able to play anything for the last 30+ years but the extremely limited snarky douchebag spewing smarmy one-liners.

The avengers

Inception for me.

The Avengers comfortably.

Inception by far, not even remotely close for me. What I was thinking when I voted Avengers?

Two iconic films of the 2010's; while The Avengers is great, I thought Inception was fantastic.

inception is way better

Simply Inception in every way possible.

ear
ear

Inception is in my top 100.

Inception obviously lol

Inception, because for a matter of fact, it's a movie you can watch again and discover or figure out things you did not notice during the first impression