Inception vs. The Adjustment Bureau

4 comments

0 comments

The Adjustment Bureau wishes it could be as good as Inception. Instead there's little logic to be found and the ending makes little sense.

The Adjustment Bureau apparently tries to go for an Inception like vibe, but a less inspired plot and more generic characters prevent it from reaching those heights.

While it goes without saying that Inception is the vastly superior film and The Adjustment Bureau tries to play off the same oeuvre far too heavily, I feel that I ought to stick up for it in at least three aspects: 1) Top marks to the cinematographer, New York gets shot in a lot but rarely with such cold beauty, 2) Thomas Newman is, as always, in top melancholy gear, and compliments the cinematography very well, and 3) (most importantly), I really liked Emily Blunt and Matt Damon as an on-screen couple. Were it not for their chemistry, the film would have fallen completely flat, as the premise, while fun, has little logic to back it up, and the third act is far too rushed to be taken seriously. So for all it's problems, The Adjustment Bureau is not a bad film; I thought it was a fun way to kill two hours on a Saturday evening. Inception on the other hand is certainly in a league of its own; frequently imitated in the last three years, but not yet bettered.

Really enjoyed The Adjustment Bureau...but Inception still comes out on top.