Inception vs. The Shawshank Redemption

15 comments

17 comments

Most people will be pissed at me for this, but I think that Inception is a better movie. Not only is it completely original, but it has an outstanding cast (Namely Leo) and is more thrilling than any move I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Shawshank. But the people who made it had the benefit of knowing that it was already a succesful book by Stephen King. For that, I have to give it to Inception.

JRM
JRM

...I agree...

Shawshank is very, very good. It could certainly be argued that the movie has more "heart". But I, too, was completely blown away by the originality of Inception. (And, well, I have a fondness for sci-fi, so...)

Seb
Seb

Shawshank wins, it's an American classic

Shawshank. Inception was original and kinda stupid.

In an age of remakes, I give Inception credit for being more original. However, I don't think it's up there with the best movies of all time like some people are claiming (my roommate, especially, who said it was THE best of all time after we saw it). Shawshank is in that all time great category and Inception was good, but just didn't reach that level for me.

I love them both...but there can only be one obvious choice...

Shawshank Redemption takes the cake because it has better rewatch value.

Gotta go with Inception on this one. Both timeless classics but the originality of Nolans masterpiece.

I recently watched both of these movies again, and I have to go with Shawshank Redemption. Inception was an amazing movie, and both are in my top ten, but I don't think Inception will hold up like Shawshank has.

Inception is too good to lost this matchup. I love Shawshank though.

Shawshank for now. My decision may change in the future.

Inception doesnt hold up. Shawshank easily

TSR wins this for sure.

It is my understanding that this site is a platform in which movie fans (not necessarily expert critics) can blissfully comprise a list or chart of their own personal favorite movies. That being said, I understand the clout that Shawshank has among the experts. I respect such notoriety, but I personally like Inception better. I love the originality, the concept, the characters, the pace, the dream worlds, the plot, and the conclusion. I love how you ask yourself questions after it's all over. You ask yourself questions like, "Was Cobb still dreaming?" Fascinating movie. I love Shawshank. It's truly one of the greats, but I love Inception more.

Shawshank wins.

Shawshank is a truly great film, but Inception is my #1.

Shawshank may have the "feels" (as the kids are saying these days), but Inception, for me, is a much more fun and exciting experience.

How is this even close!?!?!?!?! Shawshank is much better! Oh and for those who say Inception is COMPLETELY original, it's not... (Matrix)...

Shawshank is a classic and Inception is bound to be a classic. Inception is the modern day Matrix and Shawshank is a moving masterpiece. Both have great acting. This is actually a really tough choice

no contest Shawshank Redemption

Two simply stunning films. As much as I love Shawshank, Inception is my number one and I can't vote against it.

Welll.....its hard shawshank is great without a shodow of doubt bt bt bt inception is greater

Naah I change my decision Redemption gets the win here

As great as Shawshank is, Inception is a religious experience

Shawshank and it’s not even close.

Inception is trash, Shawshank is superior classic masterpiece.

Inception is a great film but Shawshank is the greatest film of all time. Not close.

Inception is one of my favorite film of all time.

Saying that Inception is more original doesn't make any sense as it's heavily inspired from The Matrix and a book called Paprika (I believe that was the name, but I haven't read it in years). Shawshank, apart from being an adaptation, is still an original story. Nothing like it has ever been made

but yeah, Shawshank wins

Inception is insanely much better than shawshank Redemption. That was an easy one for me

The Shawshank Redemption pummels inception that easy

Shawshank not even close