Inglourious Basterds vs. The Prestige

9 comments

2 comments

JRM
JRM

The 'Basterds'.

Up until now both these movies had a 100% rating for me... I think I'll have to go with Inglorious Basterds.

Tough one. 2 of my favourite films by 2 of my favourite directors. Basterds is Tarantino's best in my opinion but Prestige isn't quite Nolan's. For that reason alone, Inglorious Basterds.

The Basterds for now. Could very well change in the future.

The Prestige is great, but it just doesn't entertain the way Inglourious Basterds does.

Both Amazing Directors but Basterds wins for just having me more entranced during the film.

Basterds for me.

Basterds

Prestige would have won without *spoiler* the cloning device. It kind of cheapened the movie I think, everything was somewhat plausible and I believed this could have happened. Who knows though, Tesla was a maniac.

IB wins easily

Basterds is my favourite Quentin Tarantino film but it can't match the greatness of the prestige foe me.The prestige wins this match-up

Basterds wins this pretty easily tbh. It's a more layered film. Tarantino's wittiest and best written script. Excellent direction, editing, screenplay, performances, etc. But, more than that, it's one of the few movies that's able to portray war is something almost comedic and stupid. It shows how war changes people and how people react to war, and takes quite a bit of time to show this as well. It has other layers such as a satirical criticism of war cinema, or even a statement to the power of cinema. This movie works on all kinds of different levels, and The Prestige just doesn't live up to it.