Kill Bill Vol. 1 vs. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

4 comments

5 comments

I never cared much about the story in either of the Kill Bill movies. I just enjoyed the flashy mayhem. Now that I think about it, though, I did care about the story in Master and Commander. I felt something of an emotional investment in the characters and their struggle. Kill Bill almost entirely failed to achieve this effect.

I really think I was in the wrong mindset when I watched Master and Commander. It bored me to tears. But I want to give it another try. Kill Bill bored me in fits and starts; it felt like one decent movie spread over two, with too much filler. Seriously, seriously in need of an editor. I didn't really care for Kill Bill, and yet Master and Commander made me stifle yawns. Which do I vote for? Does the fact that I do WANT to watch Master and Commander again count? Because I don't really care if I ever see Kill Bill again...

I think maybe I'm deciding to vote M&C over Vol. 1, though not over Vol. 2 (because I liked Vol. 2 a little better, for one particular scene), at least until I see it again.

It's hard to beat Russell Crowe in his prime...

It's pretty disturbing how many people thought MAC was "boring". I watched it when i was 12 and i thought it was amazing! Maybe my family had taught me a lot about Nelson's navy with day trips and whatnot, and i just had more of a grounding in the subject. Also this was the same year in which PotC came out, so maybe people were more asverse to slow-burning seaborne action films. Anyway, Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a great film, though i prefer Vol. 2, buy MAC is one of my all-time favourites. No contest.

*but

One of the few times I gotta go against MAC....I'm just a sucker for Vol. 1....

I love the first Kill Bill, I just love MAC even more...

MAC is awesome, it would've spawned a franchise if the world had a better taste in movies. It goes up against Kill Bill here though, which is just too damn finger-lickin' good.