Brick vs. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

2 comments

6 comments

JGL is great in Brick but RDJ is better in Kiss Kiss.

No doubt that RDJ has a slick, electric charisma that JGL will never, never have. RDJ's got that suave, smirking frat-boy, "I'm so aware that I'm better than you" charm that only a handful of leading dudes can claim to rock. You know? Tom Cruise has it, RDJ has it, Evans has it, Eckhart has shown it in a couple of performances, Farrell almost has it... there's a few. JGL has that "nice boy" swag that older chicks who're desperate to get their daughters married off might dig. Anyway, this is a great versus. 2005's two talk-driven post/neo/quasi/pseudo-noirs both flaunt their savvy silver toungues. The overt, teasing self-awareness of KKBG might just have to lose out to Brick's convention hating, 'my rules' dialogue (and its setting). They both have good plots too, but plot is one of the least important properties of a movie.

Yeah, dialogue's in order. Love both leading men. Cool. Shane Black's the deciding factor here. The guy was already too damn good to begin with. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was a step up, if you can imagine.

Two perfect films. I mean it; these two movies are just perfect at what they do, but Brick takes more from Hammett and KKBB takes more from Marlowe, and Marlowe always wins for me.

Whoops. Substitute Chandler for Marlowe there. Always make that mistake.

Two great neo-noir thrill rides by astonishingly talented writer-directors. Both are so great its hard to pick one. I have to go with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for now, if only because I remember liking it a little more.

so close but ill give it to the better cast in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Definitely Kiss Kiss Bang Bang....