Pan's Labyrinth vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

7 comments

10 comments

Ooooooooh. By all accounts, RETURN OF THE KING should be the fantasy epic of the decade. Then, not even two years later, PAN'S LABYRINTH happens. I really like the LOTR trilogy, but I was expecting the ending to successfully jerk tears. Even the 4-hour version doesn't do that for me. But put PAN'S LABYRINTH on and I'm all choked up within the first minute. A miraculously perfect fantasy film.

JRM
JRM

Pan's Labyrinth is brilliant, but Return of the King is such an epic. . . Grr. Lord of the Rings.

Labyrinth blew me away. But--at least until I see it again--it can't touch my Lord of the Rings.

This did make me pause, but my first instinct drew me back. LOTR

This was a quick decision. Pan is nice, but no way as good as LotR

LOTR for sure

Pan's Labyrinth for sure

Pan's Labyrinth all the way. Return of the King gives it a decent run for its money, but I think The Lord of the Rings trilogy is more powerful when looked at as one complete film than split up into three parts.

Pan's Labyrinth.

Pans

LotR takes it

ROTK easly

Pans Labyrinth, beautiful and poetic.

Oh wow. Now that's an incredibly difficult one. My heart says LotR but my mind is telling me Pan's.

ear
ear

Lord of the Rings is a monumental achievement and wins here.

Pan's Labyrinth is a really, really great film. But even though it's a great film, it falls short of Return of the King, which is such a powerful movie that it is one of the few movies that truly changed me and changed my life. That is the ultimate testament to the strength of any film.

ear
ear

When a film inspires you it achieves a lofty goal. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a brilliant achievement in cinema history.

Pans Labyrinth. It’s less conventional, not based on a book, and is more poetic

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is such a monumental achievement in filmmaking, in fact all three films of that trilogy are. Pan's Lab is amazing but I can't choose it here.